1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sexcess

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And I see it as you acting so high and mighty that flinging labels like "comprimise" and "worldly" are second nature.

You haven't even read it, and you're making such broadbrush accusations. Typical of the pharisees.

And how do you know that this is absent in this edition? Answer: You don't. If it were, you'd deny it anyway.

YOu said you did not read it, but simply saw it on the website. I'll have to go by my local bookstore and check it out for myself to give an objective view. Your view cannot be considerred objective.

Your condemnation is Revolve is a testament to your lack of objectivity here. In fact, Revolve did exactly what you require of the discussion of "life principles grounded in solid Biblical Theology". The Revolve discusses, for example, the need for girls to fel pretty, and point them to scripture that tells them about pleasing God, not man. There's another article that discusses drug abuse, and again, points directly to scripture that talks about your body being a temple of the Holy Spirit. Another article talks about dating, and points to scripture that talks about purity and the appropriateness of such things being reserved for marriage.

If that is worldy, then let there be more of it.

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

[​IMG] So true.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve Camp discusses this issue on his blog .

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I believe I see it witha fair level of objectivity, as evidenced by the fact that I was originally wary of Revolve.

It is obviously you who is missing the point here. All of the content in Revolve is bible based, bible centered, and relevant to Christian girls and to scripture.

That is exactly what is done in the Revolve edition. If you truly nad read it, you would have known that. The fact that you miss this lends credence to your lack of objectivity on the matter.

That is hugely subjective upon preconception.

Since Revolve does not do this, the point is moot.

Revolve does this, and does it successfully.

Again, hugely subjective on your part, lacking objectivity.

No. I am willing to change my position based on objective observation of the subject matter. Prior such observation is contrary to your assertions.

I purchased the Revolve product after objective scrutiny. I do not "defend" the product. I only state objectively that which is contrary to yoru assertions.

I have indeed taken your concerns seriously. However, objective scrutiny of the Revolve publication eases those concerns.

So noted. But I feel the discussion was indeed fruitful. I encourage other individuals to check these products out for themselves.
    I have a blog on the same site. I guess that makes me as much of an authority as him.

6. shannonL

shannonL New Member

My thought is this: This Biblezine is not marketed to reach the lost simply because 99 out of 100 lost people are not going to walk into a christian bookstore.
    For all you folk who contend that we have to engage the culture in a more "contempary" fashion be it music, Bible marketing, how we "do church" etc... Where is the fruit of this type of laboring? As I stated earlier America is a hogpen of immorality, things aren't getting better they are getting worse. The culture needs to be changed by Scripture. We don't need to continue to try and adapt to the culture.
    Some of you are missing the point this Biblezine as it is called was only published by TN because they saw a market for it. Friends the market wasn't the "seeker" on the street. It was an already stuffed, filled to overflowing, "american evangelical christian" who needs another BV like they need a hole in the head.
    In case some haven't noticed the Christian publishing industry is big business. Some think it is so wonderful that there is a "christian" section now at Barnes & Noble. Well I don't. I think it plays right into the hands of the devil. He likes all this "religous pluralism" which is so prevelant today. Now the christians have thrown their hat into the ring. I know the last time I was in Barnes & Noble I came across Brian McClaren's book "A generous orthodoxy". Boy, I sure hope some "seeker" doesn't pick that book up. He or she would be more lost than before they came in. Just like when people try to bring God down so they can humanize Him the same thing is happening with the christian publishing industry.
    and God's Word. Let's just "dumb it down","blend it in with the culture" etc... You get my drift?
    "Jesus is to be lifted up" and so is His Word. Not so blended in that we wouldn't know the difference from it and the latest issue of "teen" magazine. Barf!

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "A Generous Orthodoxy" does deal with topics that are inappropriate for a seeker, largely because many of the concepts deal with relatively advanced theologies that the average seeker isn't often interested in. It may be valuable to the churched seeker who left the church because of problems with the way some Christians handled theology.

I do think McLaren's "A New Kind of Christian" might be appropriate to seekers sick of the infighting and condemnation of the stereotyped fundamentalist Christian but are attracted to Christ. Still not a great book for seekers. I is written more towards evangelicals who have been in the church for a while.

I highly recommend both books.

8. jw

jw New Member

We certainly wouldn't want a more carnal, immature, or worldly Christian to pick up a Bible and read it because he was attracted to it in some way. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should market a Bible with 3 point font, sharp razors on the edge that cut you, and a built in randomized electric shock while you read it. Man, you'd have to be godly to carry that bad boy around.

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Amen Texas- that sums the whole thing up sufficiently.

I will add, that Christians often today look to the Bible in order to find a verse to "get them through the day", instead of reading and seaching the Scriptures to see the glorious King of Kings and worship Him. Nothing will assist the Christian more in facing the trials of life than haveing a God centered view of all things.

10. jw

jw New Member

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After reading this thread, I googled for more information on "Biblezines" and found the following article:
    Ten Things You Should Know About the New Girls' Biblezine

It's not on the Align "Biblezine" of Martin's OP, but is about the Revolve "Biblezine" that Martin and johnv discussed quite a bit.

Here's a few bites that might give you a taste for reading the article: