1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sexual Sin is "Whispered" About in the Bible

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JD Greear (quoting Jen Wilkin): "'We ought to whisper about what the Bible whispers about, and we ought to shout about what it shouts about.' And the Bible appears more to whisper when it comes to sexual sin compared to its shouts about materialism and religious pride."

Source

Is it me, or is this just one of the most patently off base thing I have ever heard about sexual sin in the bible? This just seems like another Christian leader scared to admit the truth: That the actively sexually immoral go to hell. Homosexuals and Fornicators and Adulterers are doomed unless they trust in Jesus for the forgiveness of their sins and repent. I just feel embarrassed when this kind of stuff pops up in the SBC, my first church being an SBC church, but by doctrine I am now more Free Will Baptist or Independent Fundamental Baptist.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I simply don't trust the source reporting the alleged quote to take it very seriously. I'd have to go back and find it, but I have too many things to do at the moment. However, I simply want to address your comments about this alleged quote:

Not really. I've actually been doing some deep biblical study on sexual ethics for some theological discussions by our church body regarding future policies, and I have noticed that the Bible actually says less about sexual ethics than idolatry, self-righteousness, doing evil for religious purposes, not taking care of those in the weakest levels in society -- widows, orphans, foreigners, the poor, those in prison, those being oppressed, etc.

I think the point that is being made is that our cultural Christianity tends to obsess about sexuality and ignore, or even condemn, social justice issues which are deeply woven into all of scripture. It is a grave distortion of the gospel and those who ignore need to consider whether or not they are actually disciples of Jesus (see Matthew 25:31-46). Jesus is clear that His disciples serve those in need.

That's not to say that the Bible teaches an unclear sexual ethic, but also, things are not quite as sharp and distinct as we make them, especially in first century Hellenistic culture outside of Palestine. For instance, Paul teaches slaves to serve their masters as they would serve Christ and to be obedient. Yet in the Roman world, slaves were used for many things, including sexual gratification. With a larger number of slaves involved in the Jesus movement than their proportion in regular society (20-33%), we can be confident that many Christians were being sexually used (often in homosexual acts) against their wishes. I don't think we see Paul or other church leaders condemning the slaves for their situation, but I do get the sense that Paul and other New Testament writers remind those Christians that those persons are under God's judgement and will be destroyed (for instance, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; 1 Timothy 1:9-10; Revelation 21:8).

I don't think he is afraid of that at all. But I do know a lot of people who are afraid of admitting that Jesus explicitly calls us to serve the hungry, the thirsty, the poor who cannot afford clothing and housing, the foreigner and refugee, and those who have ended up in prison through crime and/or poverty. I'm sure we will see that in response to this post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me first say that scripture repeatedly claims, unapologetically, that believers that practice sexual immorality without repentance are under eternal condemnation. Hebrews 13:4. Revelation 21:8. 1 Corinthians 6:9.

To your point, so are those that do not help their brother or sister in Christ when they are in need. The warning in Matthew 25 is proof of this, but there are more examples in the bible.

Social justice is a messy topic though, because it is often a discussion about small government vs large government politics. I try to keep my discussions centered on cheerful but deep charity from the believer personally.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Isn't it interesting that the Lord calls them sheep who didn't think they were... To me those that display the attributes of God are his children... If not where did they get his attributes and men are not born with them either... They come from God above!... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one has denied that. Did you notice that I referenced two of those passages in my previous response?

Exactly.

That's correct. That's also a massive error. This is not about the governments of this world, but about the people of God serving the world. For those of us who live in representative democracies and have a say in how laws are written and how government is run, have an additional responsibility to be advocates for the poor, oppressed, refugees, etc. since we are representing the Kingdom of God above any political party platform. What too often happens is that Christians mold their faith, responsibilities and morals to a political party instead of being prophetic advocates for Jesus to the political systems of the world.

6. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, you did mention that.

I was just so confused by your argument about sexual slavery. Prostitution is part of sexual immorality, and if followers of Christ would die over giving incense to the Emperor of Rome, then I doubt they would forsake death to avoid conscious, sexual sin.

I disagree, it marries the church of Jesus Christ to Belial to so politicize the Gospel in my view. Your conscience tells you otherwise, but I do not believe talking about this would prove fruitful to convincing either of us to each other's viewpoint.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think about how women and slaves were consistently used in the Bible. Esther was pulled into an immoral situation where she was part of something akin to a beauty pageant to find a new queen for a pagan king (as well as build his harem), which included a "talent portion" of the contest, where each one of the women spent the night with the king to share with him her delights. (I'm certain it was dramatic poetry reading, spinning plates, or some sort of tap dance routine.) In no place is Esther condemned, since she really didn't have any choice about the matter, except to possibly be killed for resisting.

Slaves/servants were used all the time for procreation or as concubines, even by God's people. Think about Abraham and Sarah using Hagar to have Ishmael. Rachel and Leah using their servants to produce children fathered by Jacob. David collecting women everywhere he went, and adding even more when he became King. His sin with Bathsheba was not an aberration from his pattern, except that he took another man's wife. Even the murder of Uriah is not that much out of character, since he casually killed 200 Philistines in order to as a dowry for Michal, 100 more than requested.

As to my point about our Christian responsibility to be advocates for the things God cares about in the social/moral realm, you wrote:

I don't think you understand what I wrote. What we usually see today is Christians marrying their faith to a political platform (Belial) and politicizing the gospel. What I'm advocating is standing back from the platforms of the political parties and being advocates for the Kingdom of God. For instance, in a US context, seeking to influence both Democratic and Republican political platforms, and then holding government officials accountable to biblical standards, no matter if the political leader is part of your preferred party or not.

What has happened is that many Christians were advocates of President Obama, who supported some things that are opposed to the Kingdom of God. Many times, those Christians did not hold Obama accountable and be an advocate for things that God cares about because it might harm their candidate and political party.

Now we have the same thing happening with President Trump. President Trump supports quite a few things that are opposed to the Kingdom of God, yet many Christians refuse to hold Trump accountable and be an advocate for things that God cares about because it might harm their candidate and political party.

Both of those realities is marrying the church to Belial and polticizing the gospel. I explicitly reject that approach.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grear often appears to be riding the theological fence. The reason sexual sins get mentioned so much is because they are being pushed on us via the government. No on is taking over eating to the school system and teach that it is ok. They are doing that with sexual sins. Now people are being attacked if we do not use something other than he or she. Grear seems to be ignoring that. It looks like they are moving the SBC to let those sexual sins enter into the church.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ole J.D.is going to swing the SBC.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greear: "we see Jesus demonstrating great sympathy for those in sexual sin and great animosity toward the religiously proud"

Indeed:

And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

#11 Jerome, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well its not just him. I sat there at the annual meeting and watched as the members voted to allow the race theory be used for a standard on moving forward even though it was objected to. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. The crowd was largely beaded cals. I have never seen so many beards in one place. Beards, untucked buttoned up shirts, and jeans.

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Funny thing is most of the Cal's are opposed to the social justice nonsense. The ones who are for it all show up in droves. Thosw who oppose are just done with SBC politics and have pulled back. Anti S.J. Cal's are looking to John MacArthur as their leader, even though he is not SBC.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you have vodie and Toma ascol as well as a few others who are pushing hard against it.