1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured " shacking up" and marriage in the eyes of God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JohnnyReb, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

According to Jesus the only reason a person can divorce is because of infidelity. But according to the laws of the US, you can divorce for any reason. Here in Tn, it's called irreconcilable differences, which could mean you can't agree on what to have for dinner.

What recent conversion? What did I convert to? :laugh:

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you were cited as an example of how some of the newest cals on the board have converted you to calvinism using their attack style debate tactics. It was a justification for their debate style. They even started an an entire thread to justify it. Don't you feel privileged. You can check it out here:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2036220&postcount=1

#22 Revmitchell, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh, that wasn't recent, but it's true.

4. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

To be honest guys I didn't know there was so much faith in our government and it's laws on here.. Most of the time our govt seems to oppose Christians and are trying to stamp us out of existence yet on the subject of marriage the idea of following mans law is protected fiercely here. The law and our govt seems to disfavor Christians in every way anymore, even in our schools. They have kicked God out of everything but we trust them with our marriages?

And that brings a interesting point. If they kick god out of schools and everywhere else...what makes you think them issuing a marriage license has any meaning to God Especially when they have kicked him out of everything else? What authority do governments have over holy things like marriage when they are ultimately anti God?

#24 JohnnyReb, Oct 3, 2013
  5. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Great point! So who is right then....Jesus or mans law??? If we follow mans law here we could get married and divorced every week and God would recognize the marriage and divorces because they were approved by the authorities. I say BS

On the other hand we have a couple who bypass the authorities altogether and are living a good life and have made a personal commitment to God. It really makes me question which one has the blessing from God....the approval of the authorities according to the law or a mans prayers and personal relationship with God in regard to his family and relationship

This is really an eye opener. Submitting to the authorities and following Christ are very conflictive

#25 JohnnyReb, Oct 3, 2013
  6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they are complimentary.

Romans 13:1-2 NAS77
    1 Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
    2 Therefore he who resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So mean spirited attack style debate tactics won you over?

8. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Then what about what was said in regard to the law and divorce? Is what Jesus said and what the law says not conflictive? Jesus said Infedelity....the law says you can get divorced over disagreement over food. Which one do you follow because you can't follow both they are completely different standards

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. I never said that. And we shouldn't derail this thread.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Why are people saying you must obey the laws of the government, when the government does not make it a law that one has to be married? They don't even frown on not being married anymore.

The government can put a stamp on anything they wish and call it valid. It doesn't make it so. I think we've experienced that ad nauseum and should know by now that it doesn't mean diddly to believers.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do NOT derail a thread because someone is/isn't Calvinistic. That tells much about the person using such illogic.

BTW, do we only list the Gospels in teaching about any doctrine? Of course not. We see the amplification and application in the epistles. Hence Jesus saying "only sexual immorality" and Paul adding "abandonment". Not at all the same, but both 100% scriptural.

12. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's start with Mr. Webster's definition of marriage:

MAR'RIAGE, n. [L.mas, maris.] The act of uniting a man and woman for life; wedlock; the legal union of a man and woman for life. Marriage is a contract both civil and religious, by which the parties engage to live together in mutual affection and fidelity, till death shall separate them. Marriage was instituted by God himself for the purpose of preventing the promiscuous intercourse of the sexes, for promoting domestic felicity,and for securing the maintenance and education of children.

There are two standards both civil and religious. Marriage exists between unbelievers, too. They are held to a civil standard. Marriage outside of the Christian context is a performance contract between two parties. When the contract is breached the union can be dissolved. Unbelievers cannot be expected to act like Christians in their marriage. They can have good, long-term relationships or ones that look like a train wreck moments after "I do."

Christians are called to honor governments established by God. Paul was commanded to honor a government that would eventually kill him. We know that the Christians, in their marriages, are held to both a godly standard and a civil standard.

For a Christian, a marriage is both legal contract and spiritual covenant. They are recognized as husband and wife within the context of their civil responsibility IE: taxes, insurances. It has been the accepted practice in this country - before she was a country - that folks would be considered married when they stood before clergy or magistrate and said their vows. The government's influence on Christian marriage is limited to the civil definition of marriage.

Christians, while upholding their civil responsibility, are called to a higher standard. Civil marriages can be dissolved for any variety of reasons. Here is what Jesus said about how godly people approach marriage:

Matthew 19:4-9 NAS77
    4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read, that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,
    5 and said, 'FOR THIS CAUSE A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER, AND SHALL CLEAVE TO HIS WIFE; AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'?
    6 "Consequently they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
    7 They *said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE AND SEND her AWAY?"
    8 He *said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way.
    9 "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."​

Some notes for consideration:
      • Marriage is between a man and a woman. Unbelievers fall for the lie of Satan and claim anyone can be married but that is a topic for another thread.
      • When a godly man and a godly woman get married God blurs the distinction between the two. They are no longer two but one flesh. Unbelievers believe they are distinct individuals who are in a legal contract.
      • Divorce is a result of the hardness of man's heart. Jesus clearly says that Moses allowed it but that it was not God's plan.
      • Immorality - the exception. For the unbeliever, adultery is a breach of contract limited to the physical and emotional. For the Christian, immorality still affects the physical and emotional but more importantly it allows a third person to invade a spiritual bond wrought by God. It is a sin against God and a sin against their own bodies.

Here's the bottom line. Both the church and civil authorities - for hundreds of years on this side of the pond - expect folks to get a license and see a preacher, magistrate or a ship's captain, say their vows and listen to those words, "I now pronounce you husband and wife." to be considered married. For a Christian to claim they are married when they are not is a lie. For them to come up with a convoluted reason for not getting married like everyone else is arrogant and full of pride.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

So you chose to believe lies instead of letting yourself be "attacked." Posts are just words, Amy, and words can be wrong.

14. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Enzactly. But divorce over a food disagreement is lawful but not scriptural. Must we accept these laws as submitting to authorities when they are not scriptural? Does God recognize a divorce over food because it is lawful by our authorities and not scriptural grounds for divorce?

The more I think about this the more I distrust a piece of paper meaning anything. I think the fruits of the tree will speak for themselves

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You've only been here a few months. I've been here for 7 yrs. Believe me, in that time I have been attacked plenty!! :laugh:

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nooooooo....there aint no way!:laugh:

17. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

• The problem here is it seems not everyone else is getting married. Divorce is a big fear in today's society and the law makes it especially easy for a simple disagreement to turn into a war in the courts where often the man gets the shaft. I often have this fear myself. If my wife left one day and divorced me I would loose everything I got because of her sin and the law would aid her in thefting me. This is a legit fear I think in avoiding the authorities in their relationship. If a marriage was to end in divorce you cannot walk away but have to fight a war in court which hurts your children the most.

The way I kinda see it is if a couple get religiously married without the authorities....if they divorce they can carry that burden themselves and manage it without a war.

18. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

By the way guys and gals.....great debate! This is a hot topic in today's society and sooner or later we will have to deal with it. I think the time is coming when the majority will avoid the authorities and seek religious marriage only, whether it be legal or not. This couple in my church is a prime example.

I have decided I will accept that they are married. If they say they are married then I cannot judge that....God must decide. So far it seems God has blessed them and they produce good fruit. If he sees them living in sin I'm sure he will cut them down but I see no sign of it yet

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

JR, what does your pastor have to say about this situation?

20. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

He doesn't know yet. The man is supposed to tell him after church Sunday. I'm curious to see how the pastor takes it but I do know whatever he does it will be out of love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.