1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shadow Boxes

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Oct 24, 2003.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Does anyoe like to collect printer's trais, aka shadow boxes?

2. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Hi SaggyWoman,
    I looked at your post several times trying to figure out what you meant by collecting shadow boxes. I wanted a shadow box but my understanding of them here is they are a box with a frame that you keep mementos in. Is that the kind you mean?

Anyway I wanted to get one to put some things that were my dad's and my grandmother's in. (both grandma's) I did a quick search on the net and the ones I found have theme stuff in them. That was the first time I have ever seen one like that.

Are those the ones you mean?

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Realistically, I guess shadow boxes are things you put mementos in. I was more talking about printer's drawers that used to be for holding the stamps and lettering for printing presses.

4. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Oh,

I don't think I've ever seen one. Why do you collect them? That got me curious, I'll go do a check to see what you are refering to. :confused: [​IMG]

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My uncle, who bought an old print shop, found one in the building. He gave it to me. I kept it and used it eventually, but somehow, I got interested and found some cheap somewhere. Children love looking at them. Or they would bring me something for it.

6. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Saggy,

I did a search to try to see what you were refering to and all I could come up with was

"Web Server Statistics for University of Virginia"

What?

How old are these presses? I saw one many years ago in the museum, but I can't remember seeing the part on it that was called the printing trais. I just remember there were a lot of elaborate parts to it and I believe it was cranked by hand. Do you teach the kids about the way they used these presses?

7. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Well I found one, I think. It looked like a drawer with a knob and ALOT of little compartments. Is that description like what you were talking about?

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Yes, that is it!!!

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Tina, do you stand them on end to display the items and do you glue the items in or are they 'touchable?'

Elnora did you find a picture you can link? I've been following the thread to see what this looks like!

Diane

10. Elnora

Elnora New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Saggy I had to laugh when you replied. You sounded so excited someone figured out what you were talking about.

Hi Diane. [​IMG] I was going to ask the same thing.

What do you do with them, Saggy. (Tina) Is it okay for me to use Tina? That's my best friends name! I didn't know your name was Tina.

When I saw the one I wondered why people call them shadow boxes. But I remember I have seen similar ones that people keep miniature figurines in. I have one but it is all glass and holds little figures so I didn't connect the two.

At first I thought you meant the ones I see that are for keepsakes. I was looking for one to preserve a little dress that was my grandma's from the 20's and a purse with dangly beads that was my other grandmas. The dress is small but I can't find one with a glass front that is big enough. Anyway, I was curious, you know, what Diane said...
    [​IMG]

11. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Sorry I missed your question Diane, I did. I will try to find it again but it was a good sized, but shallow wooden drawed with a knob in the middle. It had all these tiny conpartment with a few that were a little larger. They were also made of wood.

Have you ever seen those buffets with wooden dividers for linens etc? Well it is like that but tiny compartments. The front and knob was painted a faded kind of blue. I don't know if that was original to the drawer or someone painted it. But it looked like that old milk paint, worn and faded. Really kinda cool looking. I'll see if i can find it and send you the pics.

12. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Well I saw an old printing press but I was so awed a the the workings of the machine I never noticed the trais or if it had one. :D

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Heck no, I don't glue the things in there! How can you take them out and touch them! They are all treasures, and are share-able. Plus it ruins the integrity of the treasure and the box.

All my trays/drawers are hanging on walls.

14. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Saggy I have to agree with you on the glueing. I only have two (nothing big like the ones you describe that you have) but I keep my collection of tiny "big cats in one. The other has little things the kids and grandkids give me. It would be a shame to glue them in. I have a tiny porcelain bathtub with a little porcelain baby that was my mom's whem she was little. The baby is removable and maybe 1/2" long.

The grandkids love to touch and hold them. They are in awe of the tiny things and are so gentle when they hold them. [​IMG]

What do you keep in yours?

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My collection is so versatile. I have evertything that caould mark a story in my life.... I am very sentimental.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Tina; You sound like me. I have three shadow boxes (not the print kind, but they are old).

I have a pin my son made for me from a polished rock (30 years ago), a bag of sand my best friend brought back from Florida, a buckeye I brought back from Wisconsin, my dad's army medals, and various and sundry other "collectibles".

Yeppers, the story of my life. [​IMG]

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You should see my Christmas tree. And I don't have children of my own!

18. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Good to hear I'm not alone saving all those keepsakes. I even have every card my husband ever gave me. And the kids and grandkids. Yep.

19. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Now, I ain't that bad.

20. Elnora

Elnora New Member

OOps, that's what I was afraid of. I even have my kid's baby teeth. [​IMG]

Now I am curious about your tree. I know you minister to children. I have these ornaments with kids from around the world. I will think of you when I hang them. So what is on your tree?