1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shame On Trinity

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prayer Request & Reponse

Martin &

iknowsomething,

FYI! Liberty contracted with a "head-hunter" in Atlanta to procure for them somewhere b/t 25-50 on line, part time, & adjunct profs. I was told that they have b/t 12000-14000 on line students in all of their DL programs.

I interviewed for a position in either the DL BS in Biblical Studies or the DL Seminary program for the MAR program. That is, my paperwork passed through the first funnel to Liberty. I am waiting to be contacted by the school directly. The "head hunter" said that my credentials looked good and that he thought they should use me and that I would be one of the first ones contacted.

Pray for God's Will guys. I so want to teach grad school or seminary at some time. If and only if, God would be pleased to allow me that privilege to serve him in that manner?:praying:

sdg!

rd

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just Confirmed This Morning

Dallas Theological Seminary will NOT accept credits/degrees from Trinity.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds Great!

:thumbs: :praying:

4. iknowsomething

iknowsomething New Member

Bien sur Rhetorician! I'm one of those new students now, desperately needing a professor:thumbs: And as far as concentration, I didn't realize there were so many Martin. I suppose I would choose Educational Min, Biblical Studies, or Theology/Apolegetics. Any thoughts on any of these? LOL, then again they all do sound nice, but I'm sure you could always take a class or two from the other concentrations as an elective.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rhet

Good to know!

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rhet

That is a huge move in the overall market. That is more than one percent almost 2 percent of the market for seminary professors.

I will be praying for you.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rhet

PS Would that be for the fall? Or is this hiring for continuous enrollment type classes?

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I could go for either the Biblical Studies or Theology/Apologetics concentrations. Must admit, however, that educational ministries does not appeal to me that much. My degree is a regular MAR with no concentration. I enrolled under a different catalog which offered more in the way of electives than the current catalog does. I spent most of my electives on Biblical Studies, Theology, and Church History. The updated MAR only allows for three "free" electives (in OBST, NBST, NGRK, OICL, APOL, or THEO) then there is the 15 concentration hours.

Have you looked at the current MAR status sheet? If not it is here. The catalog is here if you need it (MAR pg 82).

God bless you in your studies! :thumbsup:

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more

Philadelphia Biblical University will not accept degrees/credits from Trinity.

Knox Seminary said they would have to look at the transcript of the courses taken (etc). Then it would be determined if the course credit would be accepted or not, or if maybe partial credit could be given. Knox is ATS, however, so I doubt they will accept much from Trinity.

10. iknowsomething

I'd do the same with my electives. We've already dicussed the "benefits" of those *other* classes. lol.

That was really the only two with any appeal for me as well.

Lucky!

Thanks for your help. I suppose I should stop thread jacking now :tongue3:

11. Pastor Robert

Pastor Robert New Member

Lbu

Would you say that a school like Louisiana Baptist College that is not accredited may have even more utility than Trinity?

Robert

12. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

{Post not on topic an thus in violation of Baptist Board Rules}

#32 David Michael Harris, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2006
  13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I am not aware of the type of problems that Trinity has being present at LBC, I don't know if their graduate degrees would be any more usable than Trinity's. Most accredited schools (ATS, TRACS, or regional) will only recognize degrees from accredited schools. They may accept some credits, and you might find "some" accredited schools that would recognize degrees from unaccredited schools like Trinity, Andersonville, and LBC.

From their website...
    "Louisiana Baptist, on the basis of its academic standards, financial stability and extensive curriculum, is comparable to many accredited universities. However, as a primarily religious institution, LBU has not sought either regional or national accreditation by a secular accrediting agency. Because of our strong stance on inspiration of the scriptures, doctrinal purity and pre-millennialism many of our administration and faculty hold terminal degrees from LBU."

Of course LBC could gain TRACS accreditation and not have to compromise any doctrine. In fact they could go with SACS and still not have to compromise. The argument that holding to pure doctrine is a valid reason to remain unaccredited is unacceptable.

With accredited, evangelical, Christian schools offering distance learning degrees I can't see why anyone would attend a nonaccredited school. Even some major seminaries, that don't yet offer distance learning programs, offer individual courses via distance learning. Some of these schools don't require you to become an offical student of the school to take those graduate courses for "credit". So a person could pick up some hours at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary and then transfer to Liberty Seminary, or Luther Rice (etc). Other schools do require you to become an offical student, but you could still enroll and take a few courses online and then transfer to a accredited school that offers distance programs. So, again as an example, someone could take some courses through Dallas Theological Seminary's online program and then transfer those courses into a program at Southern Evangelical Seminary. The options are really endless.

In other words there is no reason for Christians today to attend unaccredited distance learning programs.

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    {Post quotes a deleted post, so this post is edited. Thank you}

#34 Martin, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2006
  15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Masters Seminary

Btw, The Masters Seminary does NOT accept Trinity credits.

"we are unable to accept any transfer credits from Trinity Seminary in Newburgh. It is my understanding that they are in the process of seeking regional accreditation. If that comes to fruition, then we would be able to give transfer considerations." -Email dated 8/7/06

16. iknowsomething

More lies then.. ::sigh:: can't thank ya'll enough for your help in turning away from such things

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Your conclusion is not valid because you are judging according to the doctrine that is acceptable to you, not LBU. From my other posts, you should know that I no defender of LBU. In fact, I have been a rather severe critic at times.

However, I will defend their right to hold a conviction against accreditation. Supposing that LBU views itself much in the same light as a New Testament church, it could legitimately believe that a Christian university or seminary should not be brought under any external influence, either religious or secular. Independent Baptists are opposed any denominational or convention influence over the local assembly. Even the conservative SBC is too close to denominationalism for most Independent Baptists if all objections of New Evangelicalism were removed. They believe in absolute local church autonomy and it could be extended into a similar conviction for schools and seminaries.

Hence, I cannot agree with your conclusion. There are acceptable reasons, although you may not agree with the reasons, for remaining unaccredited. However, I suspect that many unaccredited colleges and seminaries such as LBU, as well as Andersonville and Bethany, are simply unaccredited because they probably could not meet the accreditation standards. If they seek bogus accreditation with the fly-by-night accreditors, it's a dead giveaway. :smilewinkgrin:

Finally, I do not think LBU could gain TRACS accreditation for their doctoral programs because of their inbreeding. BJU is highly inbred but it is an entirely different matter. BJU had an established standard of excellence before seeking accreditation. Its doctorates were acceptable as teaching credentials in accredited seminaries, thus acceptable in their own graduate school. LBU is not willing to sacrifice their popular graduate programs for accreditation.

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Martin, there is absolutely no reason for such a narrow and bigoted opinion from an individual as intelligent and well-educated as yourself.

Although you may not agree with others' opinions and reasons, you, as an understanding and educated person, must realize that their beliefs and decisions are valid for the individuals. We, as you well know, are not all cut out by the same cookie cutter. I am not being politically correct, just practical, in arguing for diversity here. IMHO, unaccredited schools, although much abuse of liberty is propagated here, do serve useful purposes. It broadens the educational environment in a rather egalitarian sort of way and it is the seed bed of innovative and new ideas. In other words, I am arguing for free market action in education. The best will come out on top if left to the market.

My view of education is quite egalitarian. We meet each student on his own level and take him as far as he can go. Perhaps you or I could have made it at Harvard but not everyone can. I don't think you are a college president but if you were, then perhaps you would realize the frustration of trying to educate everyone with open admission policies. Not everyone can hack the same level of rigor and to pretend otherwise is sheer baloney or ignorance.

Given the real world situation, we either lower our education expectations for accreditation or we refuse education to a segment of the population. Unaccredited education may offer the opportunity for those hindered by either economic circumstances, ability or other reasons to receive a Christian education. IHMO, God does not demand greatness or success but He does expect faithfulness (I Cor. 4:1-7) in whatever circumstances we find ourselves. BTW, do not turn this argument against me about standards--I contend for the highest possible standards and academic rigor within our reach.

Furthermore, the unaccredited schools under the curious CA $50,000 during the 1970's paved the way for distance education today. Distance education owes a debt to Columbia Pacifc University, California Coast, Greenwich, et. al. despite the swirl of controversy, debate and scandal. A few of the pioneer DE and alternative schools have survived and become respected and accredited members of the academic community. Thus, I think your very narrow and myopic views on accreditation are tunnel vision and out of focus.

#38 paidagogos, Aug 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2006
  19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think that language is a bit strong for this topic, don't you? I just want to see people get the best education they can, that will be as useful to them as it can be. Unaccredited schools, while some of them may offer good programs, can't meet both of those standards. If you don't agree I am sorry but those who get unaccredited MA degrees will have a very hard time entering a PhD program at an accredited school.

==Diversity in education quality? I don't think that is a good thing. We need the highest educational standards possible.

==If a person can't "make the cut" then they should not be doing that level of work. If a person cannot earn a Masters degree from Harvard, Yale, Southeastern, Dallas, Trinity Evangelical Divinity, Campbell, or Wake Forest, then they should not be in a Masters program. They should work to build themselves up to where they can become ready for real graduate education. There is no room for lower standards.

At this time I am working on a Masters in History. There are no "D"s in the program, there are only "A"s, "B"s, "C"s, and "F"s. One "F" and you are out of the program, three "C"s and you are out of the program, and three "W"s and you are out of the program. That is what real graduate programs are like. Even Liberty Seminary had a tight academic policy. If a person can't do the work, at real graduate level, then they should not be at the graduate level. I am afraid that the reason some attend unaccredited distance learning "seminaries" is because they can't meet the academic standards of a real graduate program. That is 100% unacceptable.

==This is part of the reason that undergraduate programs exist (in part). There are Universities, Colleges, Community Colleges, Technical Schools, and Bible Institutes. Many of these schools have programs for students who need extra help for whatever reason (and that is good). Graduate school is a different ball game all together. Graduate school is for those students who are ready to be at that academic level. This is why schools require a certain undergraduate GPA, scores on the GRE or MAT exams, and academic references. These things are done to help assure that the student is indeed ready for graduate level work.

Graduate level work should not be brought down to undergraduate levels simply because someone wants a degree. If someone wants the degree they must do the work to get (a) in to the program and (b) graduate from the program.

==Money is no longer a real issue. There are grants, loans, various assistance programs, and seminary students can get help from their church or fellow church members.

Christian education should never lower its standards, below general graduate level work, just so someone can get a degree. Christian degrees should be just as good as secular degrees, if not better.

==That was then, now is now.

20. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Response to Martin & Paidagogos!

To all who have an ear:

HERE!! HERE!! Martin.

I too believer that there is absolutely NO REASON to get a degree that is not RA or ATS accredited.

Note: See rant on other thread!!!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd