1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Share your thoughts on personal spiritual revival....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by doodlebug, Oct 1, 2005.

1. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

Our church is preparing for fall revival. Considering all the things that have happened in recent months, the whole church needs to experience this. I teach a class with teenage girls, and I want to encourage them to experience personal spiritual revival. What are your thoughts on how to teach this? Some of the subjects that I thought about teaching along this line -- humility, prayer, true repentance, etc. Tell me about your own experiences with personal revival.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

For me is was just a simple reminder of what Jesus Christ did for me on the cross. Sometimes we tend to overlook His sacrifice on the cross.

I was reading the book No Wonder They Call Him Savior by Max Lucado and the Holy Spirit just grabbed me and reminded me that He is not only my Saviour, but He is to be Lord of my life . . . not just parts of my life, but my entire life.

3. NomadsWife

NomadsWife New Member

Last week I read the autobiography of Charles G. Finney. I have been going through a period of deep depression due to the situation here at home. While reading his autobiography, the Lord spoke to me. I felt a stirring deep inside that I've been unable to feel for quite some time. I went on to start reading his lectures on revival and the book by David Matthews, "I Saw the Welsh Revival". I also began spending more time in my Bible as a result. And God has been helping me memorize some verses - specific verses I felt He would have me memorize. I've been having trouble memorizing the past couple of years, so the fact that I'm now memorizing some verses without difficulty tells me God is helping me. I have been convicted of a couple things and have done my best to be obedient to God in repenting of those things and doing what He would have me do to fix those things. One thing in particular was something I hadn't done, but rather something I hadn't done that I should have done.

Anyway, I believe God is leading me to a personal spiritual revival. It was long overdue.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Some "wag" asked the late, great Dr. W A Criswell

"Dr. Criswell!!! How come First Baptist of Dallas never has revival services once a year like all the other churches around???"

To which Dr. Criswell replies

"My dear friend!!! Here at First Baptist, Dallas---we have revival 52 weeks out of the year!!"

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was needed for "revival" in the OT?

Understanding of the Word, seeing our personal sin, and then repentance/faith.

I would suggest such a study. Look for OT revivals (use term loosely)
    Under Moses
    Under Joshua
    Under Hezekiah
    Under Josiah
    Under Jeremiah
    Under Nehemiah

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Doodle,

They gotta be believers first ...

Then like the kind doctor just penned, each of the great revivals (OT, NT, & now) seem to all reflect an attitude of "God I have rebelled against you, I repent! Please, PLEASE forgive me."

Lots of prayer ... study the Word ... and transperancy ...

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Revival of believers always comes through real repentance.

I think Id teach that, along with being truly open to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes teens don't really realize that God talks to them, too. Teach them to pray, and listen to God during their prayers.