1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sharia and English law: a weakened Europe abandons humanism

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....Two days ago, on Thursday, February 7th, referring to Muslims, Williams told BBC Radio 4: "We must face the fact that some of our citizens do not fully recognise themselves in the British legal system . . . I believe that it would be dangerous to maintain that there exists a single law for all, and that anything else demanding fidelity and respect is entirely irrelevant in judicial proceedings". At the same time, he added, "No one of sane mind would want to see in this country the inhumanity that is sometimes associated with the practice of law in some Islamic countries, like extreme punishments or the attitude toward women. And in no case would this take precedence over the rights that one has as a citizen. But to say that there is one law for all is a bit dangerous". .....

Story Here

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This made the news on BBC and CNN International on Feb. 8th. Saw it while in Prague. It quickly faded and I heard nothing more about this statement in the days that followed. The title, "Europe abandons humanism" is misleading to say the least. Europe does include many countries, some that doe not consider England European as it is not on the contenient. Wonder why headline writers are so misleading ... sells copy I guess.

#2 Crabtownboy, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008