1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sharing Christ - quickly!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by computerjunkie, Jan 11, 2006.

1. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

I work in the business office at my church and this year, the staff has been challenged to share Christ with everyone who walks into our offices...vendors, benevolence seekers, even church members.

It has been suggested we use one of the following questions:

1. Have you come to the place in your spiritual life that you know for certain if you died today, you would go to Heaven?

2. Suppose you were to die and stand before God and He were to ask you, "Why should I allow you into My Heaven?" What would you say?

We have Evangelism Explosion tracts readily available, plus another tract our church designed to explain how a person can be saved and know for sure where they will spend eternity.

Since the business office is extremely fast-paced...lots of people coming in all the time...what are some of your ideas about a "quick" way to share Christ? You can tell by tone of voice and body language whether or not someone has time to talk, and of course, if someone answered one of the questions in a way that I could tell they were not sure of their salvation, I would take as much time as necessary (and as they would allow) to share Christ with them.

But suppose someone was in a hurry, and I only had a moment or two to share with them. What would you say, or what scriptures would you use, to make the most impact in the shortest amount of time? Would you just tell them they can know for sure about their eternal destiny, hand them a tract and ask them to read it? Or if you were able to share a couple of verses with them, which ones would you share that might peak their interest to find out more?

Thanks in advance for any input! I'm thrilled that we have been made aware of witnessing opportunities we have probably overlooked in the past, and I want to make the most of every opportunity the Lord places before me.

CJ

[ January 11, 2006, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: computerjunkie ]

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I usually ask, "If you died today, do you know for sure that you would go to Heaven?"

This is NOT a good line to use if you are visiting the elderly or someone in the hospital! :eek:

If their answer is, "No". I ask them if they'd like to know for sure. If they agree, I take them down the 'Roman's Road' in the little New Testament I carry in my purse.

I have found that it is much harder to lead a 'good' person to the Lord than it is a person who thinks they are 'bad' and beyond redemption.

3. psalm40.17

psalm40.17 New Member

Train yourself to be able to say your testimony in two minutes - one and half if possible. A short pithy testimony can have more effect than every why and wherefore (not that they aren't important but for the situation you describe I would err on the side of haste). [​IMG]

Praying for your success

4. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I like using the Way of the Master found at:

www.wayofthemaster.com

It works and it can be done fairly quickly.

5. mnw

mnw New Member

A very straight forward question that almost always gets a result is:

"Would you like to go to Heaven?"

Or something along those lines. Almost every one will answer yes. Then it is a matter of sharing the Gospel.

MNW

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's a great objective but it is one Jesus never taught. In fact, there are times when Jesus told someone not to speak. There are times when the Holy Spirit kept someone from speaking.

If you are sensitive to the Holy Spirit then he will tell you what to say or not to say.

Do you have a method of keeping track of those you speak with and what was said. How will you deal with the mailman or UPS driver who may come each day? Are you praying for the people you meet? Do you have a plan for following up on your conversations with each person you speak to or is this evangelism football, where you tackle each person who comes in the door? What will you do when more than one person shows up at the same time?

If you beat people over the head each time they show up, then, they will get rather "gun shy" and possibly gospel hardened.

God is sovereign and He willl guide you if you let him.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I love to share the Gospel, but I wait on the Holy Spirit's guidance. When He is not in it, it won't be received anyway.

As far as follow-up. Sometimes if I know I should speak to someone, but there is not enough time, I ask if I may talk to them about Heaven at a later date (and I make the appointment then and there).

If someone accepts the Lord, and they are in a Bible-believing church, I ask if they would like me to come and see them get baptized. Otherwise, I invite them to my church and ask if I may give them a ride (or at least sit with them) and I will go forward with them if they like.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The challenge is all well and good, but it's entirely possible that "pushing" Christ may wll push some peopel firther away from the Lord than they already are.

It is the Holy Spirit that should be moving us to do such things, not office challenges. I mean no disrespect to your church staff, but I see where this could do some damage to the Gospel. After all, Christ never held a save-a-thon.

IAB16 is right on when she says she waits on the Holy Spirit's guidance on such things.

9. jw

jw New Member

I like the FAITH Evangelism question, "What do you understand it takes for a person to go to heaven?"

That way, even if they think everyone will go to heaven, or something like that, you can take them right into something like, "A lot of people say that. Can I share with you how the Bible answers that question?"

I don't really care for the rest of the FAITH outline that much though.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I like to ask "how would you describe your relationship with God?" The I say- "well let me share with you my relatioship with God" and I then give my personal testimony.

11. genesis12

genesis12 Member

If you've only got seconds to witness, ask "What's your take (or view) on this fellow Jesus?" Then, "Do you have a minute?" If not, then "May I call you at home?" Then, "Here's our card. Give us a call."

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If I'm not already sharing Christ in my actions, then my words are without flavor.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I have encountered numerous people who shy away simply because they've been beaten over their heads their entire lives by people standing on street corners yelling at them, etc.

I have discovered that living my life in as godly a manner as I possibly can will make people say, "I want some of that" far more frequently than beating them over the head does.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Amen, preach it!!!!

15. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

So what if instead of hitting them with a canned 30 sec. sales pitch, you said something like, "In a little while the staff here are going to pray together. Is there anything you'd like us to pray about?" Then pray. And remember what you prayed about and ask when they come back again. When they see that you really care about them as a person, and are not just running a program, you will probably have earned the opportunity to genuinely share your faith with them and possibly change their life for eternity. (btw, if you normally pray before meals in restaurants, this is an excellent way to begin a relationship with a waitress/waiter)

16. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

well Hope I wish that were so but the fact is its not that easy. the lost need to here folks like yourself tell them why your like is the way it is. I was one of those people that was lost and I thought that people that lived for the Lord but didn't tell me about Him were just stuck up.

YOU MUST TELL THEM IF YOU LOVE THEM AND CARE ABOUT THEM.

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Would that not qualify as living in a godly manner without beating them over the head? Everyone I work with knows that I preach at church. This creates many conversations without me having to beat them over the heads with, "Did you know that if you don't accept the Lord Jesus as your savior that you're going to end up in the lake of fire?"

That also attracts others of similar beliefs, and when you're in groups, it attracts the attention of others who want some of that.

Does anyone get saved when a preacher yells at them on a street corner? Maybe. But, it also does a lot of damage that others have to overcome later.

18. mnw

mnw New Member

I would agree with Johnv to a degree but I do have concerns.

My personal opinion has always been to take it very slowly and I have truly "feared" pushing individuals away. The flip side to that is being so afraid of pushing them away that we never see them won to the Lord.

Where I am it is all about building up relationships at the moment. You have take it step by step, day by day. The people in this area are just that way. But there are areas where people are more open and will happily discussion spiritual things with a stranger.

Just a thought.

MNW

19. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Thanks to all of you for your input.

I guess you would have had to have been there when the suggestion was presented, and I probably didn't do a good job of explaining it in my OP. We have NO intention of "beating someone over the head" with the gospel.

The intent was to challenge us to be AWARE of opportunities to share and and be able to lead someone to faith in Jesus Christ IF the opportunity presents itself. If nothing else, at least plant a seed such that someone might be interested in finding out more later...either from us or from someone else.

The people with whom we are sharing are people who come INTO our church. I would hope they would not be surprised if, when they come INTO a church for whatever reason, they are asked a question about their spiritual condition. In fact, the more I think about it, I would hope they would be surprised if they were NOT asked.

As far as a plan for follow-up, this is not an "evangelism program", so to speak. Although should we have the privilege of being able to lead someone to a saving faith in the knowledge of Jesus Christ, we do have a method for follow-up.

This is not a "hard and fast rule" that we are to practice. Discernment is key. There may be times when we are NOT led to speak. Again, this was merely presented as a way to make us aware of the opportunities the Lord puts before us...no more or no less than any Christian should be aware of regardless of where they work.

I love the idea about asking if we could pray for them! In fact, I have been with groups in a restaurant who have done this with the server, and the responses are sometimes just incredible!

I appreciate the feedback, and enjoy reading some of the various ways that have been suggested in sharing our faith.

20. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I think we must remember that this is a "church" office. Any unsaved person will come into that office expecting the place to be different from any other secular office they have been in. They will compare. If there are only a few moments, maybe the best thing to do is model Christ, offer literature, speak as lovingly as you can to vendors and such, then wait on God to open the door. The whole issue hinges on being Spirit-filled. Sometimes you will be led to say a word, sometimes not. A smile and a soft answer will do wonders for showing a lost person that Christianity really does make a difference.