1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shawn Hornbeck Speaks!

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today on Oprah, Shawn Hornbeck speaks about his kidnapping four years ago. He offers little in the way of details but he does say that he lived in fear and his parents believe he was sexually assaulted and tortured. You can read portions here. His parents will be on Larry King on Friday as well.

#1 Martin, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  2. snrsvdbygrc

snrsvdbygrc New Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,245224,00.html

More is coming out, as stated it would. There is also another story about his biological dad being a convicted sex offender, not sure that has anything at all to do with Shawn's life before the kidnapping though. O'Reilly may not have been far off base.

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Even on his own free will, an 11 year old cannot just leave and live somewhere else, nor can an adult keep them.

O'Reilly is just talking up ratings and taking the focus off the case at hand.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Sorry, but I have been keeping up with this story and I have not read one thing that even starts to support O'Reilly's theory. But then again I am looking at this from a point of view that gives the victims of crime the benefit of the doubt. Unless there is clear evidence otherwise (as in the Duke rape case) I will always side with the victims. I can't do otherwise.

This child (11 yrs old) was taken from his family and life at gun point, threatened at gun point, abused (physically, mentally, and emotionally), threatened some more, frightened, and trapped. Sure he had plenty of physical chances of escape. However I don't think that is the issue, the issue here is his psychology. This boy was mentally trapped and, maybe, a bit on the brainwashed side (ie...thinking he could do nothing to escape without suffering great harm). Anyone who says otherwise simply does not know what they are talking about. Mental chains are just as real as physical chains. So he could go out, be around other people, and look normal on the outside. All the while being trapped on the inside. His going out could also have been an emotional escape from the nightmares that no doubt waited for him back in that monster's apartment. This boy was clearly thrilled to be back with his parents and family. Btw, I believe I read that his stepfather had already started the adoption process before Shawn was kidnapped. They said that process would now be re-started.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For anyone who did not see it, here is Shawn Hornbeck's interview on the Oprah show. Please note the sound and video don't go together well. Sorry, could not find another version. However you still get the audio and video even though they don't match.

CLICK HERE

Great commentary on O'Reilly by Keith Olbermann...here. I agree 100%! Bill O'Reilly no longer deserves a place on the public stage. Amen, and Amen.

#5 Martin, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another great story by Olbermann...here.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, but, you see, I grew up in the streets, almost.
    My father was a cop, three uncles were cops, I grew up in and out of police precincts, ran around with gangs, and was pretty much streetwise at the age of 13.
    I just don't buy this kid's story and alibis.
    If you ask me, I think he's going to run away in the near future.
    He liked the freedom, he liked not being in school, not having any mom or dad telling him what to do.
    It was like, to him, "if they find me, good, if not, better.
    But it may just be the cynic and doubter in me.
    You folks may be right, for all I know.
    Still.........
    Also, everytime I see that picture of him with the long hair, the side-twisted smile, and the matchstick sticking out the side of his mouth, or was that a lollypop stick ................hmmmm.........

8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think about these cases, for example:

I think it was Saturday when they had this news about this 10 or 11 year old girl who was abducted, found a way to run away from her abductor, and run yelling and screaming for help into a store....

Then there was that story of that young girl who was raped, her throat slit, who walked miles to the next neighbor, holding her throat closed, and got help for herself and some others in the cottage she was sleeping in....

and a lot more escapes from abductors and assailants by kids that I could not exactly recall anymore as to details.

And then I think of Shawn and how he "lived it up" in fear and trembling, if you will, while in the hands of his abductors, for four years, even at one time speaking with cops, after he was not 11 years old anymore ?

Come on, give me a break.....

But, yeah, you guys may be right.
    Who knows ?

Well, God knows.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So he couldn't have been kidnapped nor held against his will because in one photograph, in your opinion, he looks like a hoodlum?

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think that is very, very sad. That based on personal experience that is not in anyway related to what this young man went through you are saying that you don't "buy" his story. John Walsh, and others who are very familiar with these type cases, have clearly stated this kind of thing is not that uncommon. This child was kidnapped when he was eleven years old, he was sexually assaulted, abused, and terrorized for four years by a 300 pound monster. He was too afraid to directly reach out. Yet you don't "buy" his story because you were "streetwise". Responses like yours are why some victims of crime are afraid to report what has been done to them. They are afraid that someone will say that they don't "buy" their account or accuse them of not doing enough to escape or avoid the situation, or worse yet saying that they "liked" it.

==So you are saying that he was lying in the interview when he said he was glad to be back home? You are saying he is lying about praying that he would be rescued? You are saying that he enjoyed being raped and assaulted by that guy more than being in school?

==I am not sure what that has to do with anything. He stated clearly that this monster gave him some freedoms and we know he took advantage of those freedoms. However that does not mean that he was not afraid, that does not mean that he enjoyed his circumstances, that does not mean he did not wish to go home, that does not mean any of that. All it means is that, at that time, he believed the best thing he could do was to go along with this guy, make the best of a bad situation, and hope and pray one of these policemen he had seen would realize who he was or that his parents would find it.

I find it interesting that the moment Michael Devlin was in handcuffs this boy identified himself.

#10 Martin, Jan 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Different child, different kidnapper, different circumstances. I think it is sad that you are saying that you don't buy this child's account simply because others did not have the same experience. That is sad and amazing that people still think that way in 2007.

==How is that related to this case?

==That is really, really disturbing. I am sure he was living it up while being kept from his family, raped, and physically abused. I am sure he was living it up when the neighbor said he heard screaming and crying coming from Devlin's apartment. I am sure that was living it up. Shawn identified himself to the police when the threat was over (when Devlin was in handcuffs). Until that point he did what he had to do to deal with what ever threats, fears, and violence was being done to him.

I find it very interesting that the people who are experienced in dealing with these type cases/crimes have no trouble believing Shawn's account.

#11 Martin, Jan 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, Martin, you all might be right.
    I may be wrong.
    In the meantime, you can pat yourself in the back for being very compassionate and unlike me who would rather take things with a huge spoonful of salt.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==This is not about patting anyone on the back or anything like that. I don't take crime, or its victims, with a spoonful of salt. Unless there is solid evidence that clearly refutes a victim's testimony I will always side with, give the benefit of the doubt to, and defend the victim. I will never say that I don't "buy" their story simply because I can't make sense of some things. I have not walked in their shoes so it makes sense that I may not understand all of their choices. I accept Shawn Hornbeck and his families account, as much as has been given, and I pray that he can get his life back. I have the same prayer for Ben Owenby and his family. They are victims of the worst sort of crimes. As for the man who did this to them, he should be executed. ASAP.

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Btw, the parents of Shawn Hornbeck are angery with Bill OReilly. They also said that Shawn Hornbeck himself has been upset by OReilly's careless, thoughtless, accusations/questions. This is why I am bothered by OReilly. It is one thing for John Doe to sit in their living room and think/say the things OReilly did. They don't know the family, Shawn, and have no affect on the general public. OReilly has a huge impact. What he says is heard around the world. His comments have, rightfully, angered Shawn's parents and upset the victim (Shawn Hornbeck). OReilly, in my opinion, has no clue what he is talking about. OReilly's comments also angered John Walsh (America's Most Wanted) as well as Sean Hannity.

From the article:

Story Here

Who knew there would ever be a day when I would agree with both Sean Hannity and Rosie ODonnell? Wow!! That is how bad OReilly is. He is causing people who rarely to never agree to agree. So far the "ONLY" thing I have EVER agreed with Rosie on is her opinion of Trump.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Piny, it's nice that by the time you were 13 you had managed to become "streetwise" and could handle yourself. You grew up in a much different environment than some of us.

Unfortunately, I know all to well how afraid an adult can make a child and how solidly convinced a child can be that there is no escape. My abuse came at the hands of my own parents who had me convinced well into my upper teens that no one would believe what actually went on in the house and that if I did tell and they found out that payment would be severe. I was utterly convinced that I was entirely dependent on their good will or life would be even more miserable than it already was. The one time I tried to tell what was happening I WAS NOT believed, but thankfully that person (my pastor's wife) kept my confidence.

During my childhood I rode my bike, went to church, went to youth gatherings and all sorts of things. But I never told and my brother never told (things were even worse for him). We had foster children in our home at one time and one of them was abused more than we were and he never told. And you know what, the abuse we suffered was probably no where near what this boy suffered at the hands of this monster. Remembering my own misery, I can't even imagine the terror this boy felt at the hands of a total stranger with a gun. (I can relate to being threatened with a gun, however and I never told about that either)

Until you've been in the situation, you have no idea of how you might react. It is arrogant of you or O'Reilly to suggest that this boy could have or should have done something differently. You ought to rethink your position, cynic or no. :(

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate the advice.
    And I am not a big fan of O'reilly.
    And neither do I look down on this kid nor am suggesting that he enjoyed the rape, or the cruelty, or whatever, as Martin implied I was saying.
    I am saying that he enjoyed the fact that no one was supervising him, as parents would have.

At any rate, I do not think this thread should even be here.
    If not for Shawn's sake, then for the parents' sake, who did do their best to find him.

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I'd say you have to be kidding, but then I remember you haven't been in this situation.

What he was, when free of the monster, was grateful, that for just a few minutes he would have his thoughts to himself. No questioning looks, no accusation and no worries just for a bit that the monster was going to turn around and notice he was there. He knew it wouldn't last long, so he'd better enjoy it while he had it. He'd have to face the monster again soon enough.

No way this kid would jeprodize that few minutes of relief from the terror by facing the greater terror that if he said or did something wrong that the monster would follow through with his threats. And I gaurentee this guy was very quickly able to find out what best inspired Shawn's terror.

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hope this does not come up twice. Lost my original reply and did not save it.

==The idea that this kid stayed with that monster, and endured the things he probably had to endure, simply because he wanted a lack of supervision is not an idea that I believe is realistic. Shawn has stated that he was too afraid to leave or call for help. I believe him. I have no reason not to believe him. I believe that, while he may have had "some" physical freedoms, he was mentally trapped the whole four years. Terror, and the need to survive, can do interesting things to the human brain. Mainly when that brain is only 11 years old.

==Actually the comments made by OReilly, and repeated by some here on this forum, have disturbed Shawn Hornbeck and his family (according to Time). Your right this "thread" should not be here. It should have been an OP and any follow up to the OP should have been supportive of this child and not questioning.