1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shocking Data from Barna Reveals Possible "Crises" Among Churchgoers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barna did a poll in 2001 and found 41% of people who are regular attenders to church do not believe Jesus is their Savior.

The Year's Most Intriguing Findings, From Barna Research Studies - Barna Group

Another shocking finding is that 4/5ths of those who claim the Christian Religion in America, about 80% of the American populace, are "Casual Christians," who statistically show a lack of devotion to Jesus, church, and obedience to biblical teachings. In my opinion, this seems to condemn them using more fundamentalist theology than the ecumenical Barna, a lifestyle that perpetually lacks obedience is a sign of a vacant Spirit.

America’s Seven Faith Tribes Hold the Key to National Restoration - Barna Group

https://files.tyndale.com/thpdata/FirstChapters/978-1-4143-2404-3.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Faith-Tribes-Believe-Matter/dp/1414324049

The "Captive Christians," who do show marked devotion to Jesus and church run the gamut of denominations. A huge issue to someone like myself who is non-ecumenical and believes alignment with churches that corrupt the Word is a sign of possible apostasy.

Also, if you use tests of minimum orthodoxy the majority of "Captive Christians" fail the test.

The State of the Church 2016 - Barna Group

I will add that testing for orthopraxis through a basic test of personal holiness is also a possible tool that seems not used. I would hope it would catch my case of being an unbeliever, who did not understand he was lost, studying to be a church leader.

Now that I have presented the problem, instead of making questions, I will just ask for comments. Because this is shocking and sad, and leaves a lot of questions on my mind.

My comment is a sad question of what can be done by those who aren't church leaders like myself and those who are?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the Holy Spirit say?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are Catholics included in the study? If so, I would like to see the results w/o Catholic involvement.

4. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. Thank you.

What I feel personally led to is that this is a dark world, as Paul knew. It seems I am still getting used to that truth, which hurts in a way similar to that of the doctrine of hell.

I think you are right though in that something to seek after wholeheartedly is what the Spirit is saying to the churches. I will commit myself to that.

I also agree on the Roman Catholics, unless I can find a data table with all groups on it, this data isn't very useful.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve....a big portion of my life was lived in eastern Pennsylvania which is primarily Catholic (Greek Catholic, Roman Catholic, Russian orthodox etc—all teachers of the need to be in church every solitary Sunday or else you risk not going to heaven. Wether or not they are born again or not is fodder for another post but because they are convinced that church is their path to heaven, it completely changes the numbers upward. Now in Communist NJ, Protestant and Baptist pastors use Ex-Catholics to fill the pews cause they still believe you gotta be in church on Sunday. We even have a Methodist Church in my town who keeps a Sunday service schedule like the Catholics ( 830, 945, 1030, 1145 etc.) nice way to make a buck. Or two or tree!

• Informative Informative x 1