1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shopping on Sundays?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Iconocast, it appears you think we are under both law and grace at the same time. If this is what you are saying, I believe this is completely unscriptural!

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Nice to get to know you as well. :)

3. targus

targus New Member

If you do - be sure to give attribution.

It is a rule of the board and considered to be plagarism is you do not give credit to the author.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

By your own admission you don't know greek or hebrew...so on what basis of truth do you give those you have quoted? Why is greek or hebrew needed on a shopping on Sunday thread?!?

If a biblical response is what you are after, the Bible is silent on shopping on Sunday. It's a matter of christian liberty...and the Sabbath is not Sunday.

5. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Mmmm, interesting question. Personally I do shop on Sundays although I try to rest and be with my family. I also can't stand malls or loads of people so I avoid them anyway. I'm not sure whether the question has spiritual implications. Are we saying that God might be displeased with Christians shopping on a Sunday? Does He even care and what proof do we have that He does? There is no indication that early Christians did not or even that they did not work on a Sunday. We just know that they met on the first day of the week. I stand to be corrected but I don't think God gets irrate just because we stopped after church to pick up up a bucket of chicken from Kentucky for lunch. Personally I think we make too much of a hoo haa about Sunday thus encouraging ordinary church going folk to deify one day in the week and forget to live for Christ every moment of every day!

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Webdog,

WD.....I post what they say,,,anyone can go to strongs, or vines, or an interlinear and check on what the OP claims.......have you done that?
    TRY it it can be fun and enjoyable.
    Well cmon WD. you can answer this yourself .If we agree the God's word is supreme, and He has used greek and hebrew to write it........sometimes a keyword in the original might change the whole meaning of the passage.

Should we ignore the word of God in favor of emotional opinions?
    Some have said well i feel like this,or I prefer to do that....as if what God has said does not matter.
    I had come across these teachings a few years ago and am still working through them. I am not some kind of Lords day or sabbath police.
    I do want to obey what God says even though it might not be popular.
    In the Ot......profaning the sabbath was a horrible sin in God's eyes.
    If there is any chance that a profaning of the one day in seven is still at issue, I want to bring my life into obedience to God's word. I cannot tell you what to do[
    [ I can...but you will not listen anyway:thumbs:]

Well Wd .....sunday mon tues......are not mentioned in the bible, the word dinosaur and rapture are not mentioned either.
    The greek words you question the need for do shed light on this issue.
    Learn the position even if you do not hold to it, so you understand the issue accurately.....and then give your scriptural position.

I posted it because I think it is the biblical position.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Targus,
    I do try to always credit the person who I quote....if I do not feel free to call me on it.
    Matt wade accused me of being lazy for doing it. The truth is I do not really know how to type and it is much easier to cut and paste.
    I have received much help from many puritans and sermons, anything I might offer I probably have been taught by other more gifted brothers,and I am trying to help by offering them online.......sometimes it seems like people do not like so much help.:laugh:

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

As I study the scripture for myself I see no Biblical mandate for or against. I'm free in Christ and not held down by any Biblical mandate. I've preached on Sunday morning and cut my grass that afternoon and forbid I've gone to WalMart from time to time. Now if I had offended a "weaker" church member by doing this I'd err on the side of caution wait for another day to cut my grass, etc. However, that hasn't happened so I'll enjoy the liberty given to me through faith in Christ Jesus.

9. targus

targus New Member

I almost always mow the lawn or rake the leaves on a Sunday.

For me it is not work - but more of a time of solitude. I often pray in my thoughts while enjoying the mindless repetition of the task at hand.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do this quite often...but...I do not allow this approach to rule my hermeneutics.
    Here's a key word "seventh day", the day of the Sabbath. The early church gathered on the first day of the week (1 Corinthians 16)
    Well, let's see what God HAS said on the matter...
    Colossians 2:16-17 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

Galatians 4:8-11 Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods. But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more? You observe days and months and seasons and years! I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain.

Romans 14:1-6 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Hebrews 4:1-11 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my rest,'" although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works." And again in this passage he said, "They shall not enter my rest." Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again he appoints a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts." For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.
    Seventh day and first day are.
    I know what the Seventh Day Adventists believe and why. While I believe they are also wrong they are at least consistent in maintaining the Sabbath on the seventh day.
    ...and above I posted the biblical position :)

#30 webdog, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Robert,
    You are correct when you say;
    I believe the bible teaches that we are not lawless, but grace enables us to be proper image bearers.....keeping the law word of God.
    Robert can you agree with the words of psalm 119? He loves God's law.

Not in order to be saved...the law as a mirror shows us we fall short and are guilty. But once saved the law tells us how to love;
    Are we in agreement here? or where do you think I am going astray?

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Webdog,
    The Gal,col, and romans passages were being used by the judizers to try and bring back the ceremonial laws. I used to use those verses as you are doing claiming I was "free in Christ".Here are a couple more for you;
    then you say;
    Yes.....the seventh day sabbath represented two things....which two things?
    We are not under the seventh day sabbath.[despite ellen g white hallucinating about it being circled up in the clouds ::smilewinkgrin:

Do you know the basis why some christians believe in the Lords Day as the new one day in seven? I think you might. What two things does it represent?

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe we are under the law of love which is in Christ.

I believe the beatitudes does a good job of this.

I'm not saying the OT isn't important, but I don't think we are under the Jewish law in any was today.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If Iconoclast feels that he must observe this day that is his business. What bothers me is that he wants to place this un-Biblical yolk around my neck.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

The end word is this (straight from the mouth of God):

Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest the servant of another? to his own lord he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be made to stand; for the Lord hath power to make him stand.
    Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let each man be fully assured in his own mind.
    Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord:

We should be in an attitude of worship, ALL THE TIME! Why strain at gnats?

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sag,
    If you believe the 10 commamdments are an un-biblical yoke.....that you desire to throw off,,,,,that issue is between you and the God who has given the 10 commandments.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you believe as you post we should;
    One day in seven would not be a big issue for you then,would it?

To apply rom14:6 to the ten commandments would turn them into the ten suggestions..........regard them,or regard them not.....interesting.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Robert,
    How do we know what is "the law of love"? what does that mean?
    How do we know we are keeping it?
    What do you think Paul meant when he wrote this?

19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ah, but you add to scripture when you place Jewish/OT restrictions of worshipping on a specific day, in a specific manner. (ie, not shopping/working)

What about the above verses suggests to you that *I* must choose to overtly worship (rather than worshipping in spirit and in truth) on a specific day of the week, in the specific manner you wish for me to worship in? Does it really matter that I worshipped on Sunday last week, but this week I'll worship on Wednesday? (because on Sunday I was busy taking a friend to her mother's funeral) Christ said the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath! Yes, we need to worship and we need the fellowship of other believers, but following a strict schedule is no longer a requirement in order to be obedient to God's commands.

20. targus

targus New Member

Yes, I try to obey the Ten Commandments - but still fail from time to time - but I do not believe that keeping the Sabbath includes not going to a store.

What is unholy about buying something in a store?