1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Short Term Mission Trips

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by USN2Pulpit, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, John, I was getting ready to post that.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I did qualify it with many...if not most. Maybe its the geography of churches, but in my area not sure a whole lot of these mission trips are happening in undesireable parts of the world, and when it is, its an individual with the desire placed on their heart needing to fund themselves while the church doesnt help. I'm fed up with today's church model, to be honest.

3. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand about being fed up with Church Inc.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do great minds think alike, or what! :smilewinkgrin:

5. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    But yours is faster... must be the discipline of learning and speaking Japanese. :thumbs:

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My perspective as a "former" missionary (there really isn't any such thing as a "former" if you have that call of God on your life):

1. The missionary must set the standard for the trip. John's questions for the purpose of the trip is a good start. The group leadership MUST understand the impact that the group can have on the missionary's work- both negatively and positively. A "bad" group can do a lot of damage to a missionary's work and testimony- speaking from experience here- but NOT my experience, thank God!

2. A missions trip is no place for irresponsible persons. When I lead a team, I set the highest standards for those desiring to go. Those expecting a good time need not apply. Those refusing to eat strange things should just stay home (however if there are medical reasons, then that's different- but be prepared to bring your own food if that's the case).

3. Don't just bring "stuff" to the field without asking the missionary first. I have seen boxes of equipment, clothes, tracts and Bibles rot because teams brought them and they would not work with the electricity or available technology, would not fit the people, were not in the right language, version, etc.

4. Remember to give the missionary some "time off" during your stay. They must keep up with their regular ministry duties and family responsibilities as well as work with your group. Let there be some times when the group can work without the missionary needing to be there. It's not really the missionary's job to entertain you- it's your job to be a blessing to the missionary.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good wisdom from Mexdeaf. :thumbs: