1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a believer sit on a DEATH Penalty Jury?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 6, 2016.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last week, I asked about the death penalty, and got a good cross-section of responses as to if it was biblical/scriptural and should America end it completely?

Well, let's see if those who claim the death penalty was not biblical and should not be used, would agree that it would not be biblical/scriptural to sit on a jury that was trying a death penalty case, knowing that if the person was found guilty, they would be involved in approving or disapprove of the death penalty for the murderer?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your question presumes that potential jurors get to chose whether or not they serve on a jury.

In the United States, with only a few exceptions, all citizens are duty-bound and legally-bound to do jury service when summoned by the court and until released. Moreover, they do not get to choose the cases for which they might be impaneled!

Now, during voir dire (the questioning of the potential jurors) for capital cases, the attorneys and the judge will usually ask the jurors whether or not they have any philosophical/moral/religious opposition to the death penalty. If so, those jurors will likely be released from service. If a juror opposed to the death penalty remains on the jury after that process (highly unlikely), they should exercise their moral judgment through the trial and deliberations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is another benefit for my position.

I believe that the death penalty must be excluded from consideration if the case does not fall within specific biblical guidelines (to include two witnesses testifying to the crime). I hope that when I explain my view I’ll have a good chance of not being selected to be a juror. :D

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a quick note to say post #2 was spot on. Thanks BB

I observed a lady be removed because she did not accept the felony murder law (all those involved in the felony - robbery, assault etc, are guilty of the murder even though they did not shoot or stab or whatever was the cause of death.

5. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This discussion appears to be on track. To be perfectly honest about this or any other issue, the question is, will you obey God, the God of the Bible and Creation, our LORD. If not, no, they do not belong on that Jury.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I don't get the original question. He seems to think that because someone does not think the death penalty to be something that a Christian should advocate, that the Christian somehow gets to decide whether or not they want to sit on a certain type case.

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have the gift of ESP! You presume a lot! I was aksing if a person that is opposed to the death penalty should sit on a jury that may eventually end up deliberating on the death sentence? I believe that if you are opposed to the death penalty, you should make that known when questioned, in fact it should be the first words out of your mouth!

Sure we never know what trail we may be listening to, but we can express our feelings and beliefs at the onset of any jury selection, and seek to be excused should the case you are selected for is in fact a murder that could end up deciding on life in prison or death!

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem that I see is in a few cases where secular law would deem the death penalty an appropriate consideration but Scripture would forbid the penalty. This isn't saying that someone would not be opposed to the death penalty if the circumstances were biblical, but it is saying that a believer may have more to consider than a nonbeliever in keeping the penalty on the table. When we start rationalizing away some Scripture as pertaining only to the ancient world we can get into a bit of trouble (when we do this, then we have no defense in upholding Scripture when others do the same).

This goes back to another example someone offered. Suppose DNA proves a man murdered another person, but the death penalty cannot be imposed in accordance with Scripture. Do we judge based on our sense of morality or are we still bound to God's Word in these things?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

??? Apparently I PRESUMED correctly as you're STILL asking a question that presumes that jurors have a say so as to what jury they are selected.

No problem with that. But if you've been a part of jury selection and voir dire, you know that the attorneys ask the questions that they want the answers too.

Sure you can. It would be remiss of any attorney getting ready to work on a case where they are planning to seek the death penalty to not ask that question in the initial jury selection questionnaire.

But folks can stop trying to get excused. They'll use ya for something while they can.Biggrin

10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would seem to me that if all in the jury pool supported the Death Penalty the defendant might as well roll over and kiss his hind parts good by.

If, on the other hand, a Believer might or might not agree with the death penalty some compassion might exist during the deliberation process. As you know, most jury members want to be home in time for supper to begin with so wham-bam..., get it over with.

You all should watch the movie, 12 Angry Men. It's old but worth watching.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Support for the Death Penalty automatically means one loses all discernment about its application? I do not think so.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most definately; a lot of truth to this plot!!

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rolf..., what I am trying..., was trying to say is..., if the jury comes predisposed to the death penalty that does NOT leave much room for the defense. Then, coupled with the fact that most jury members want to be home in time for supper..., the defendant doesn't get a fair shake.

If it was me I would desire a mixed jury. Watch the flick..., 12 Angry Men. It was shot and filmed in an actual jury room in Zoo York City.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Excellent movie. The remake was actually pretty good too. But there's just something about that old black and white that made the original so good.

15. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That movie, 12 Angry Men exposes the dirty side of prejudices. Individual personal issues come to light; exposes individual thought patterns; the need to think for ones self vice following the crowd. A very good movie that should cause the viewer to take a good hard look at themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The members of a jury are there because they are called. I wouldn't sit on them for that.

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would seem to me that there would be no objection to sitting on a jury despite one's view, seeing it is unlikely someone opposed to the death penalty would be retained, unless they were dishonest about their position. Even if they were, objectors to the death penalty would be able to vote against the death sentence, again, they being dishonest in their views.

Here is an article about Death Penalty Juries.

God bless.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I STILL think this is hilarious!!!

20. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe it or not, there is a Russian version of the movie.