1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should a Christian arrend a homosexual marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Oct 7, 2014.

?
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with this article. Here's an portion of it:

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/should-i-attend-a-same-sex-wedding

2. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least that would make more sense than saying you're not going because it's less important. Actually it may be very appropriate, you get to be there for your daughter while letting your stance be publicly known, you could make a short speech that says you'll always be there for her even if you don't agree with the marriage. Simply not showing up is kind of douchebag'ish to be honest.

3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could only be an analogy because you can't communicate your thoughts properly. "Less important" is a poor choice. :thumbs:

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Uh yea, :rolleyes:

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually i thing he supports it but does not want to be seen directly doing that on this board.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you don't pay attention much I'll remind you that I openly stated that I'm admittedly homophobic. So, I don't see how I could be an actual supporter.

However, the libertarian in me strongly believes that people should be free. The government shouldn't be in the marriage business. Meaning, if two people want to have a ceremony, they shouldn't be prohibited from doing so. In India, people marry trees, ghosts, rocks, hillsides, all kinds of weird stuff. As freaky as that is, and as much as you disagree with it, people shouldn't be prohibited from doing such a thing.

The economics involved is a different story. The benefits that married couples get is done to promote the nuclear family. I don't believe that gay couples should be able to automatically take advantage of the same benefits if they come at the expense of the taxpayers.

However, I see no reason why some of these rights do not exist, married or not. Right now there are situations in the hospital where only your spouse can visit you. Why? Why can't someone's best friend come visit? There are situations with pensions and life insurance as well. Why can't someone name their best friend as a beneficiary? The only way to get some of these benefits is to take advantage of marriage laws. Some of the laws and rules are stupid for even existing so I have a hard time faulting anyone who is trying to take advantage of them.

More than anything though, I just think it takes a particularly awful person to not show up at something that is obviously very important to your own daughter, whether you agree with it or not.

#46 corndogggy, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as I get at least 30 minutes to preach a message on why homosexuality is a sin.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would it _really_ take that long? :sleep:

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How about let's replace the soccer game with a robbery. Should the rev go and support his daughter as she goes to rob a bank? Maybe drive the car?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He can't do that. He sees homosexual marriage as being that two people who love each other getting married. That says all we need to know. When you dress sin up in a positive light then you support that sin.

11. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask him, it wasn't me who insisted on the "less important" mentality. :thumbs:

In the libertarian world, there's a saying that if there's no victim, then there's no crime. With that in mind, comparing an actual crime to a victim-less ceremony is quite a stretch.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you have never heard one of my messages -
    I want to make sure people fully understand

But like you there are always exceptions.

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zactly right.:thumbsup::thumbsup: :BangHead:

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the original question, my thinking is no. As a Christian, I would not attend the marriage ceremony of two homosexuals.

But then again, I would also not (and have not) attended the marriage ceremony of a man and woman where the woman selfishly left her first husband and children to marry someone else and raise another woman's children.

As said earlier by others - attendance promotes approval.

And yes, there IS such a thing as a homosexual marriage. It happens everyday. The marriage ceremony of homosexuals, fornicators, adulterers, and even those pure in body and heart are just man-made traditions and government sanctioned legalities.

The ceremony is irrelevant to making one married.

The "dearly beloveds", "we have gathered here", "to thee I pledge my troth", "who giveth this woman?", "you may kiss the bride", and on and on are just man-made drivel that some have held on to as meaningful to God.

And ... if it is meaningful to YOU, then hold on to it and hold it dear!!

But, God doesn't really care about the white dress, the tuxedo, the bridesmaids, the walking down the aisle, the unity candle or the rings.

Ceremonies are man-made and traditional at best.

Marriage, while ordained by God to be a man (free to marry) and a woman (free to marry) only, each body corporate and politic has a right to make laws - even about marriage if they choose.

Our government made laws about marriages between men and women long ago. Now, they have said same sex couples can marry. Pretty soon, laws will allow people to marry their cars or have group marriages or marry their dogs.

Why not? It's all based on government-based legalities. That's the problem.

The government should have never been allowed to be in the business of "legalizing" what constitutes marriage in the first place.

God already did that long ago.

And for those like me who choose not to attend the ceremony of a homosexual couple, we had better be making sure that we apply the same standards to other wedding ceremonies.

Would you attend the ceremony of adulterers? Fornicators? A mixed marriage of a believer and non-believer?

If we say that marriage is a holy institution ordained by God for those free to marry - and that's the truth, then homosexual marriages aren't the only marriages that are offenses to God.

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nope. There is no such thing as homosexual marriage no matter how many times it "happens".

The absolute truth of GOD has said what marriage is so the Body of Christ needs to stop complaining about it but then affirming that it actually is.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to some governments - there is homosexual marriage - but that does not make it right. And as such, I will NOT recognize it.

I want to take this in a little different direction, so I have started a new thread.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It also says he loves his child more than he loves Christ.

18. Godspeaks2me

Godspeaks2me New Member

I would attend a gay wedding for many reasons.

1) Free food and drinks.
    2) I am not homophobic
    3) I am not a hypocrite
    4) I can stand against something and still attend it.
    5) I can use this opportunity to share my beliefs and learn from others.
    6) Jesus would not stay home or run in the opposite direction of a homosexual.
    7) %90 of men are secretly a little bit gay.

So almost every man ( if not all) on this board has homosexual tendency's and they are lying if they say different. It's only by the Grace of God they don't act on them.

I am sure I will be flamed "pun-intended" but I am only speaking the truth. :praying:

#58 Godspeaks2me, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great more extreme liberals

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok so prove 90% of men and more specifically the men on this board are gay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.