1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a Christian drink?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Jun 22, 2005.

1. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

That same verse also admonishes Christians not to eat meat lest a brother be caused to stumble...but I've not met many vegetarians at the church.

If it is such a sin for Christians to drink...why did Jesus turn the water into wine at the wedding?

2. OCC

OCC Guest

Not only did Jesus turn water into wine...He was accused of being a drunkard! Because He DRANK it! If it's good enough for Him, it's good enough for me. Should Christians drink wine? If they want to. Should they get drunk? Nope.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Actually, yes.

Last year, we had some people come to stay with us for a few months.

Allegedly (I say allegedly because they turned out to be grifters and nearly everything they told us was a lie), they were fleeing a home in which the father was a violent drunk.

They accompanied us to a family event where there was drinking.

I was told later, "Sean (the boy) was really impressed that you only had two beers. He said that he didn't know that people ever drank and didn't get drunk".

4. patrick

patrick New Member

For me personally I will never drink again. I had a drinking problem. I would be back in my old lifestyle in 2 seconds flat.

Is drinking a sin? It can be if you over indulge in it. Havung a glass of wine at bed time? Probally not. I am not the one who decides that kind of thing.

James makes some pretty good points.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Exactly my question!

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Should a Christian drink? Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

7. patrick

patrick New Member

Timothy was a leader and Paul told him a little wine good for the stomach. Now, I don't drink. I am playing devil's advocate.

8. LarryN

LarryN New Member

From what I've ever been able to determine, the question "Should a Christian drink?" seems to be a question largely unique to American Christians; and even then not universally.

Do Christians in England, France, Germany, China, Australia, or anywhere else for that matter have that question even occur to them? From my travels, and from what I've both read & heard from others, the answer seems to be "No". There may be some exceptions to this generalization, but I'd venture that it's as a result of some American influence.

If, then, the question is almost uniquely American- what might its derivation be? From historical reference it doesn't even seem to have been a question amongst American Christians until the early/mid 19th century.

I would suggest that both the concern (and any accompanying negative perception of Christians drinking alcohol by non-Christians) is a quandary created amongst mostly American Christians themselves starting around the time of the early Temperance Movement (think of "Carry Nation", although she arrived on the scene relatively late). Temperance Societies did begin also in England & some other countries, but faded relatively quickly overseas by-and-large. Their significance in America was more pronounced. Even the name/purpose of that famous movement itself has been obscured over time: "temperance" implies moderation, although many today instead tend to think of the Temperance Movement as instead championing total abstinence. The early Temperance Movement sought to curb only the drinking of spirits (what we might call "hard liquor"). Even members of the early movement freely continued to drink wine and/or beer. It was only later that the movement turned into one which sought teetotalism (abstinence from all alcohol).

With the advent of famous anti-booze preachers such as Billy Sunday (among others), the movement became seemingly inextricably linked to American Evangelicalism and Fundamentalism. Now, after several decades of preachers who have loudly decried the consumption of any alcohol whatsoever as being a sin, can it be any wonder that even non-Christians who have observed such declarations might think negatively of Christians who drink? Non-Christians, who've heard of & possibly seen preachers state that it's a sin to drink; and then observe drinking among certain people who profess to be Christians; can hardly be faulted for concluding that it's a display of hypocrisy, at the very least.

Is it possible then that any negative perception that non-Christians might have in regards to drinking in moderation among Christians might be a situation that exists as a result of our (and our American Christian forebearer's) own making?

9. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even those who feel they are at liberty to drink now and then have a biblical principle that they must reckon with:
    1 Cor 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. (KJV)

10. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Sorry Pastor Bob...there is no mention of idols in THAT verse.

The problem with inerrant scripture is who's inerrant interpetation do we use???

(Playing devil's advocate also)

On a serious note however, I agree with Texas Sky that around children I would be much more hesitant to drink if I was a drinker (never acquired the taste for it, so I don't).

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"should a Christian drink?"

If Christ drank, why shouldn't a Christ-ian drink? Luke 7:33-35 leaves no doubt that Christ drank. Why do baptists think it is wrong and sinful? Is it because John the Baptist abstained? Shouldn't "baptists" follow Christ and not John the Baptist?

BTW, the wine in the Bible was NOT grape juice. No refrigeration. The reason you can't put new wine into old wineskins is because the old wineskin has lost its elasticity, and when the wine ferments, it expands. Numbers 6:3 "...from wine and similar drink; he shall drink neither vinegar made from wine nor vinegar made from similar drink; neither shall he drink any GRAPE JUICE, nor eat fresh grapes or raisins." This is clear in the differences between wine and grape juice. The next time your pastor says that the wine of the Bible was only grape juice, ask him if he has read Numbers 6 lately.

12. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rocky, I edited my post before I saw yours. You are right, there is no mention of idols in that verse.

13. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Larry,

Aren't most European Christians Catholic or Anglican?

14. LarryN

LarryN New Member

My reference is strictly to what we would term Evangelicals & Fundamentalists (and I've met some fine Anglican Evangelicals, who give a solid testimony, during my time in England, BTW. To most Baptists from the U.S., that combination would seem to be an oxymoron!).

It's true that Evangelicals & Fundamentalists are a small group in all of Europe, but they're there.

15. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Catholic
    Lutheran
    Orthodox
    Anglican
    Muslim

Seem to be the predominant groups

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. [​IMG]

17. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

18. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I respect the preference of those Christians following the example of the Nazarite vows and John the Baptist to completely abstain from alcohol to avoid drunkeness in pursuit of holiness.

I hope all sides are able to follow Paul's writings in Romans 14 regarding attitudes towards those with different preferences.

19. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Diane,

Don't hold back. Tell us what you ~really~ think. ;)