1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a Christian drink?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Jun 22, 2005.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest that those who don't think a Christian can drink any alcoholic beverage refrain from doing so.

And those that think a Christian can drink an alcoholic beverage as long as he doesn't get drunk should do so if he wants to.

No one should be forced to drink and no one should be forced not to drink.

Let's simply disagree and love each other as brothers and sisters in Christ.

[​IMG]

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I've held a conviction for all my life that a Christian shouldn't drink. It is my conviction and I will not push it onto somebody else who doesn't hold the same conviction I do. If you can, in good conscience, drink and not get drunk, then more power to you.

Besides my conviction, I think alcohol tastes nasty and can't imagine how anybody can stand it. [​IMG]

3. mioque

mioque New Member

One could ofcourse make the case that Christians MUST drink alcohol at times. During Communion that is.
    No I'm not holding that conviction in real life.

Texassky
    There are plenty Evangelicals (American definition of the term) among the Protestants of Europe. Fundies are rarer, but they maintain a visible presence. In my country's parliament 2 of the 150 seats are occupied by members of a Fundamentalist calvinist party.

"the question "Should a Christian drink?" seems to be a question largely unique to American Christians; and even then not universally. "
    "
    Amen!

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Should a Christian drink?

No.

Why?

Testimony.

His own before the world. His own before the church. His own before his family. And finally, his own before God.

If my liberty causes ANYONE to stumble, I have sinned against that man's conscience. Is it not possible that daddy has a bit o' wine with his spaghetti, Jr. watches him and sneaks some at a later time? Jr. then likes the feeling, sneaks more and more and more until it has overwhelmed him? Sure it is. Do you REALLY want to risk that? I don't. Therefore, my children and grandchildren will NEVER see me drink, nor even SMELL it on me. They will know what it CAN DO to a person and they will know how subtile it is. And they will know that the ONLY safe alternative is to never touch it in the first place.

And if one were to say, "Well I drink when no one is around", I can only ask "If you must hide it, then is it really all that good for you?"

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

That same verse also admonishes Christians not to eat meat lest a brother be caused to stumble...but I've not met many vegetarians at the church.

If it is such a sin for Christians to drink...why did Jesus turn the water into wine at the wedding?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I use to use the "caused to stumble" verse to justify cutting down any fault in a Christian I could find.
    "That one has so much make-up on she wouldn't need sunscreen on the equator".
    "That preacher is so fat you cant see his eyes".
    "The head usher had a couple of brews at last weeks cookout".

Then an old grizzled plumber, tired of my mouth, one day looked at me and said, "try doing what we do."
    I asked what that was.
    He replied, "Look to Christ, not Christians. We will let you down every time."

Anytime I have an opportunity to witness, I try to work that story in.

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I basically agree with Jim. To see a Christian drinking will present a stumbling block for a large number of people - not just an occasional person. While Jesus Himself certainly drank alcoholic wine there is no reason today in our age or pasteurized products and refrigeration that we would NEED to do so.

Mioque also raises a good point. I think is MORE of an issue in the USA. In Europe drinking in moderate amounts is seen differently and arguably present less of a problem for witness.

Lastly a person must listen to the Spirit. I used to drink alot - and to me to drink alcohol now would be sin whether or not anyone saw or even knew. This may not apply to everyone.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

So do you still respect them when they break the Nazarite vow by cutting their hair?

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

The problem with trotting this verse out to condemn your own pet peeves is that what is a "stumbling block" is usually a matter of the perception of the offendee, rather than something that somebody has actually done to offend.

9. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

The problem with trotting this verse out to condemn your own pet peeves is that what is a "stumbling block" is usually a matter of the perception of the offendee, rather than something that somebody has actually done to offend. </font>[/QUOTE]Agreed. I was using it to find fault in others relying on a cultural/traditional,(what part of the county,or what country, they were from), view of Christians instead of seeking what Christianity was.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine pastored in Germany for several years and told me it would be offensive if you did not drink with them. One was viewed as a fool if he got drunk.

So whatever we do, often depends on those we are trying to reach.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

--While Jesus Himself certainly drank alcoholic wine there is no reason today in our age or pasteurized products and refrigeration that we would NEED to do so.--

There is not NEED to watch tv, play sports, etc. Is it sinful? NO! Why do you think God's Word says that wine makes the heart glad? Because it's a fun to kick back with a few friends or family at a cookout and have a few cold ones!

12. OCC

OCC Guest

webdog...why bother? The ones who are convinced in their own hearts not to drink...that's fine. The ones who legalistically judge us who will...are slightly messed up and I wonder if they border on being psychotic. Either way...don't bother. Kick the dust off your shoes...

13. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

I'm sorry but I am not following your train of thought here. Neither wine nor alcohol is a preservative, so I don't get the connection between the pasteurization and refrigeration AND wine or alcohol.

14. OCC

OCC Guest

nevermind... :(

15. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

WHAT A MESS! Baptist? There is a Bible study method that we pastors use called the law of first mention. Find the word or problem..for the first time in the Bible and it will carry the meaning through the Word of God. Of course most of the baptists? on here don't believe the Bible anyhow. Believe any thing you want, change the Bible to fit your life style but just remember you have one more stopping off place!

16. OCC

OCC Guest

Shiloh, I don't understand. The Bible says that Jesus drank wine and the Pharisees accused Him of being a drunk.

"Believe any thing you want, change the Bible to fit your life style but just remember you have one more stopping off place!" This seems a bit strong.

17. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I'm and abstainer myself. If you believe in moderation that is your business.
    Yet we would all agree drunkeness is a sin.
    How could Jesus, "God in the Flesh" create a substance that would give people the opportunity to sin "by getting drunk"? Any takers? My answer is it was unfermented wine. I know we can argue that point I just want to know if Jesus was responsible for supplying the means for some to get drunk. If He was then He sinned did He not?

18. OCC

OCC Guest

Shannon, Jesus gave us eyes to see so that would mean He gave us the means to sin. Since many of us sin with our eyes.

I believe in moderation and I don't judge people like yourself who don't drink. That would be a sin. Yes, I agree drunkeness is a sin.