1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a Christian Observe Christmas? By Dr. John R. Rice

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    See, that's perfect proof why your family should have ignored Christmas altogether. :laugh: Just think how many preachers and missionaries there would have been! :laugh:

That would be a great way for every Christian family to celebrate Jesus' birth.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I'll tell you, it ruined us celebrating Christmas that way! :laugh:

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I disagree with #7 as well. I don’t think Santa Clause is a lie. I believe in Santa, I have seen him many times. Oh, of course I have not seen a fat man in a red suit with a sleigh pulled by deer. But I have seen many former Scrouges over the years softened at Christmastime giving generously to others. These people were not all Christians and were not all ‘good’ people. Yet at Christmas time something changes and they become more generous and more giving. Yes I believe in a special spirit of Christmas that not only gives children their wishes but also changes the hearts of us mean old adults. Yes I can look kids straight in the face and explain to them that I believe in Santa. Perhaps I have a different idea of who and what he is, but he is real.

Other than that I agree with Rice. I met him several times and he was incredible.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And John R. Rice in person would have been gracious about your belief while disagreeing with you!

Hmm. I wonder why no one ever says this about Arthur Pink? :D (Just kidding, Pink fans.... I know he died in '52, long before Rice.)

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Probably becuase if they have met Pink...they wouldn't remember now anyways :D