1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a Christian Serve in the Military?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brice, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Brice

Brice New Member

Should they? I'm considering going in as an officer and would like to hear some opinions.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early church debated this very issue. Many rejected the idea of military service for Christians because they believed it was contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ to kill people, no matter what the reason.

peace to you:praying:

3. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Sure, why not?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should a Christian serve in the military? Only if the Lord calls you:praying: I served for many years in the US Army. It was a great blessing the way the Lord used me. In fact I was able to start a Baptist church in Wildflecken, Gy.
    It can be tough, - Army Strong - tough, but with the Lords help, it could be the greatest time of your life.

There are many Christians in the military - seek them out.:1_grouphug:

I would be glad to answer any specific questions you may have about the Army. Just drop me an e mail :thumbs:

Sgt First Class Teachout

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I can only speak for myself, and personally I couldn't. It would go against my conscience.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

my husband and I are thinking of going to work in a church which ministers mainly to our military in Japan. Serving in the military is never prohibited in the Bible. In fact, it's never looked down upon or discouraged either.

Id agree with SaltCity in that I see no reason not to if that is where God is leading you. Don't join if its NOT God's will for you, of course.

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Good post,Bapmom!

In my case, God used the military to take me to where I first heard the Gospel and trusted Christ as my Savior. Then He used my next assignment to take me to a Baptist mission (later an autonomous church) where I really grew in the Lord.

I'm not saying military service is for every Christian. That's something you and the Lord will have to come to terms with. OTOH, as Bapmom pointed out, the Bible nowhere condemns military service. In fact, the NT often put military men in a positive light (e.g., Cornelius in Acts 10).

8. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Personally, I decided that it was against my Christian faith to enter the military and kill other human beings. Against abortion? How can you be for killing adults?

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I was in the Air Force for 7 years and regret getting out. I should have stayed in and retired. Not everyone who enters military service kills people. I was in during the Viet Nam war but never went over there. I worked in an office all over the US and in England.

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I fail to se the comparison. Innocent unborn children are apples and oranges to fighting against those who take innocent lives. If you come after me to kill me you better be faster, stronger, and smarter.

I think we forget that David was called by God to be a warrior.

11. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Brice, I served over 32 years in the Army National Guard (as both enlisted and as an officer) to include war service in OIF (2003). I think serving and being a Christian is compatible. Jesus noted that the Centurion had the greatest faith in Israel and in fact intervened for two Centurions - and neither one did he tell to leave military service. Paul tells Soldiers to be content with their wages - there is no record of Jesus or an Apostle directing Christians (or Romans) away from military service. As in all professions, you can serve the Lord or not, it depends on you and what you are called to do. Furthermore I believe our nation deserves to be protected from those that would harm it - if I was an Englishman or Irishman, etc., I would feel the same way if that was my country. Bruce

12. Brice

Brice New Member

I appreciate it Salty. It's really a tough decision. My choices are as follows, go into the Army (active duty), go into the Reserves, or go in as a JAG in 4 years. I'm sitting for the LSAT's this year which will help my decision some, but it's still not easy.

I've had some reservations, from a Christian standpoint, that I need to iron out. Thanks again to everyone thus far.

13. Brice

Brice New Member

These points are what gives me some peace as I pray about it. I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to give a younger man some wisdom.

14. Brice

Brice New Member

BTW Bruce (and everyone that has an opinion :type: ), what do you feel about active vs reserves vs JAG, etc.?

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

In the early parts of the four gospels there was a group of soldiers who came to John the Baptizer to be baptized----and they asked him

"What shall we do??"

If you read, you'll notice that J the B didn't tell them to go AWOL or to resign their commissions----those soldiers were saved and were being baptized---and imagine---the Bible doesn't say---but just imagine those soldiers, if you would

They're saved, have been baptized---and were now headed back to their "unit" ---- "Platoon" ---- whatever----now imagine what sort of witness they could now be to the other men in their "outfit"???

I wouldn't blink an eye to go visit my boy(once he's of age) if he happens to wind up at Camp LeJuene or over at Fort Benning---because I know that if he's there----not only is he serving to protect his country---but he has the greatest opportunity to share witness to the saving grace of his Lord Jesus Christ!!!

16. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I don't think that the old testament examples like David are a good comparison. After the fall of man God chose the nation of Israel to keep pure in order that Christ would come through that line and be the deliverance for all. God did order Israel to fight against evil that would have compromised Israel and Gods plans.
    But once Christ came, died and was risen things changed. Salvation is for all men, and Christ gave us scripture and examples were we are instructed to love our enemies and not to kill.

I am not judging those that choose to serve, but I sure understand and agree with were StraitAnndNarrow is coming from. It is not the same as the OT. Christ never instructed us to kill, but rather the opposite. In today's army we are killing at the orders of man not God, there is a difference. I would hate to be ordered to kill, and without knowing it maybe actually kill a brother in Christ, that just happened to live in another country and called into his army. Or worse yet, kill someone that might have had a chance to hear the gospel if he had lived. Again please understand I am not judging those that do, and I respect their bravery, dedication and service. But my only point is I think there is a lot to consider, that I don't think ever gets considered, or just easily dismissed as you did with StraitAndNaroows views. I say this with love and respect for you and your views

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

God did not have one attitude in the OT on this issue and then another in the NT. One passage misapplied can distort a great many things. It is also overlooked that there will be a battle in the future. Loving our enemies and those that persecute us is not a catch all for every situation. And it is not applicable to those who wish to slaughter us. It is also overlooked that Peter carried a sword daily as did the other disciples. It was a normal custom. And it is the one he used to cut off the soldiers ear in the garden. If Jesus had a problem with it he would have addressd it much earlier but did not.

18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Were the Jews instucted to witness and convert all nations?

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

So what you're saying is-----only lost people can serve in the military??? No saved people whatsoever??? Being saved disqualifies one from serving his/her country???

20. BruceB

BruceB New Member

I think that each individual selects (to a certain extent) what component and which branch he/she serves in. I think all are honorable, each component (Active/Guard/Reserves) have strengths and weaknesses and offer differing areas of service depending on what you are doing. If you go to law school the Guard may be your best option, and you can switch to active service after graduation. Time spent in the Guard applies to retirement and time in grade for promotion, etc. Guard units also have state missions that the active and reserve do not have (hurricanes, floods, etc.) But Soldiers in all components serve and make sacrifices. May God lead you in making the right decision. Bruce (Colonel "B", RET)

#20 BruceB, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2007