1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a Christian use cocaine?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Oct 31, 2004.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Is it a sin for a Christian to use cocaine in a country where it's use is not illegal?

I'm not interested in opinions, just Bible verses to support a yes or no.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Not as a recreational drug, as you are to not harm your body and cocaine does that, as you are not to allow anything but Christ to rule your mind and cocaine does that too.

3. Born Again Catholic

Born Again Catholic New Member

As the Bible doesn't forbid it with specificity, the Baptist position must be that its ok to do it if you want to.

4. JesusInFirstPlace

JesusInFirstPlace New Member

The Bible doesn't have to forbid it specifically!!!! It is SO harmful to your body, and I Corinthians 3:17 says that we're God's temple, and we are not to defile ourselves! Cocaine is addictive, and only using it once can kill you!! That is BEYOND harmful!!!

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

BAC, the board for wry comments about Baptists is in another direction.
    If you truly are misguided and thought that statement was true, it's not. Ok?
    Gina

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not illegal to not be a Christian in the US but it's sin.

7. Born Again Catholic

Gina

I certainly hope it is not true and until recent discussions I would have had no doubts that it was untrue but now I am honestly confused about Baptist moral theology.

Please show me the scripture verses that you think address the issue and explain to me how a Baptist gets from those verses to the position that the use of cocaine is immoral.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

Probably not a good idea as it appears to be addictive to some people. Do you have an addictive personality?

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

1COR 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1COR 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

While this passage is referring to fornication, the principle idea of not defiling your body is included in such wording.

It also stands to reason that God gave us minds and expects us to use common sense. Throughout the bible, physical damage to somebody or one's self is spoken against (markings, causing another one physical harm, striking in anger).

EPH 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

EPH 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

EPH 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

EPH 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Cocaine is unwise. Being filled with anything other than the Spirit is unwise.

2COR 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

2COR 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

2COR 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

We cannot bring our thoughts into captivity to the will of Christ's under the influence of mind controlling drugs.

There, I humored you. Now humor me and tell me the Catholic reasononing for saying coke is wrong.

Gina

10. trying2understand

The thread on birth control prompted me to ask the question. Shouldn't the answers here be the same as on that thread.

You know... where the Bible is silent it's a matter of personal prefernece... if the Bible doesn't fobid it, it's permitted... to call it a sin if it isn't forbidden in the Bible is adding to the Word...

As to being harmful to the body, so is sugar and caffine. Does the Bible set limits on how harmful something has to be before it defiles the temple?

Driving in a car can kill you - even if it's your first time.

Is there any consistency to baptist theology? Or is it all relative?

11. trying2understand

BTW, do a google search on the little elective surgical procedure that is being so heavily promoted in the birth control thread. The results may surprise you.. sounds like a defiling of the temple to me.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

The Bible is NOT silent on abusing the Temple of the Holy Spirit whether it be with abuse of drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, sex outside of marriage, unhealthy foods/ obesity, etc.

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. 13 Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 And God both raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not! 16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For "the two," He says, "shall become one flesh." 17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

13. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not a Baptist, but I can show you the Scripture which condemns all drugs used for anything other than medicine for illness. It is associated with witchcraft and sorcery.

Included in the unrepented sins listed throughout the book of Revelation is un-medicinal drug use.

"Niether repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries , nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts". (Rev 9:21)

The word "sorceries" is translated from the Greek "pharmakos". This word is were we get our English word "pharmaceuticals" or "drugs", "pharmacist" or "drugist".

The Greek word means "giving drugs" or a "drugist". In light of the context of this scripture, these drugist are sinners rather than doctors of medicine. We call them "drugies" in todays culture.

Here again is the word used for a "drugist" who is a sinner........

"For without are dogs, and sorcerers , and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolators, and whosoeverloveth and maketh a lie". (Rev 22:15)

These un-medicinal "drugies" are listed among the worse of all sinners. (Whoremongers, muderers and idolators).

It is perfectly clear from the Word of God that anyone giving or using recreational drugs are found to be sinners.

Even apart from the Word of God, the Holy Spirit within a born again believer teaches and convicts us that these type of drugs are sin. A believer does not need to read this in the Word to know it, but the Word does confirm it for us as well.

God Bless! [​IMG]

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Cocaine is an illegal drug:

Titus 3:1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. 3 For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Romans 13:1 Everyone must submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist are instituted by God. 2 So then, the one who resists the authority is opposing God's command, and those who oppose it will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do good and you will have its approval. 4 For government is God's servant to you for good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, because it does not carry the sword for no reason. For government is God's servant, an avenger that brings wrath on the one who does wrong. 5 Therefore, you must submit, not only because of wrath, but also because of your conscience.

1 Peter 2:13 Submit to every human institution because of the Lord, whether to the Emperor as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors as those sent out by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. 15 For it is God's will that you, by doing good, silence the ignorance of foolish people. 16 As God's slaves, live as free people, but don't use your freedom as a way to conceal evil.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is good stuff Diane, but the legalness of an issue is not a factor. Abortion is legal in the USA, however it is still murder. All of our stands must line up with the Word of God no matter what society says is legal or not.

God Bless!

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I agree Stever but the thread was started because our Catholic members believe it is a sin to have sexual relations with your spouse if you use any form of birth control. That thread was removed because some member didn't like the graphic wording.

Tit 3:9 But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.

17. Born Again Catholic

18. Born Again Catholic

Diane you say

Yet you promote people destroying their God given fertility by mutilating their bodies

The illogic of your position is truly astounding

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yet you promote people destroying their God given fertility by mutilating their bodies

The illogic of your position is truly astounding
    </font>[/QUOTE]I use the brain God has given me and the gift he gave Doctor's to limit the size of my family, Yes.

You STILL cannot provide ONE Bible verse that proves using birth control is a sin (mortal sin as the RCC calls it.)

BTW... the 9 year old asleep in the next room was 'produced' by a 'good Catholic' boy from a family who demanded an abortion. It was us Baptists who refused and then adopted our grandson as our son.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I must disagree that doctors who limit births are doing so by any gift of God.

The fruit of the womb is the gift from God here and it should be up to him how many children He wants to give through each woman.

"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them : they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate." (Psalm 127:3-5)

Be fruitful and multiply!

God Bless! [​IMG]