1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a husband display the beauty of his wife?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gunther, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Gunther, you had to expect that this topic would ruffle some feathers.

You are right, a man shouldn't be ashamed of who he's married to, or anything for that matter. I don't have any respect for men that are ashamed of their wives. And furthermore...I've often really disliked a man on a personal level only to change my opinion of him because of how he felt about his wife. A man that is embarrassed because he cares about what other people think should be ashamed though, but of himself.

Secondly...If a woman looks careworn or seems to not care about her appearance, I guarantee that there is trouble at home. If a woman is well loved by her husband, it shows in her countenance.

Furthermore...Scarlett O. put it very well. I completely agree with her. This adolescent attitude is damaging to woman, especially young ones who haven't developed the fortitude to withstand this mind game. I for one hope that Miss Abby doesn't read this or any other young lady on this board of an impressionable mind. This attitude is garbage.

And remember...A well loved woman is always beautiful. I'll say it again, if a woman looks care worn, an extra helping of love in word, action and deed will more than likely repair her joyless heart. This is where the idea of "beauty comes from within" came from. Think about it the next time you see a woman that fit's your description. She's probably not being loved like she should be.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I disagree. I dress nice, keep myself thin and take good care of myself because I love my husband and want to look my best for HIM and for ME. [​IMG]

I am so happy my husband finds me attractive and I think that women who DON'T take care of themselves shows they don't care for their husbands or take their husbands for granted. Now that is my personal opinion so take it or leave it... :D

Soloman praised the beauty of his wife and that book made it into the Bible.... God's word. If this wise man praised and raved over the beautiful body of his bride then why not these men? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Diane [​IMG]

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

WS
    I think you are right. Muslin women most meet what some say christian women should look like, long dress, hair back and hidden, head covered, bowing thier heads so as not to look at men in the face, or have their face seen by men other then husbands, totally modest, the most modestly dressed women I have ever seen. And yet toally ungodly. Outward appearance is not godliness, does not show the heart.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Song of Solomon 7: 1 The Beloved How beautiful are your feet in sandals, O prince's daughter! The curves of your thighs are like jewels, The work of the hands of a skillful workman. 2 Your navel is a rounded goblet; It lacks no blended beverage. Your waist is a heap of wheat Set about with lilies. 3 Your two breasts are like two fawns, Twins of a gazelle. 4 Your neck is like an ivory tower, Your eyes like the pools in Heshbon By the gate of Bath Rabbim. Your nose is like the tower of Lebanon Which looks toward Damascus. 5 Your head crowns you like Mount Carmel, And the hair of your head is like purple; A king is held captive by your tresses. 6 How fair and how pleasant you are, O love, with your delights! 7 This stature of yours is like a palm tree, And your breasts like its clusters. 8 I said, "I will go up to the palm tree, I will take hold of its branches." Let now your breasts be like clusters of the vine, The fragrance of your breath like apples, 9 And the roof of your mouth like the best wine. The Shulamite The wine goes down smoothly for my beloved, Moving gently the lips of sleepers.

This husband was proud of his wife's beauty!

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I assume you meant Muslim, not Muslin. I generally don't have a penchant for women composed of textiles :eek:

I think you're confusing Godliness with devotion. The issue of Islam aside, I think we could learn a lot when we see how people of other faiths reflect their devotion to their faith. Many Muslim and Jewish women, as well as men, cover their heads as a sign of devotion to God. It's a sign of respect, like when I take my hat off during the pledge or national anthem, or when I purposefully don't wear a hat when I attend Baptist Sunday worship. For the Amish and Shakers, that devotion permeates everything in life. I own reproduction Shaker furniture. A simple Shaker style chair exudes Godliness in its craftsmanship and quality. Yet we Christians prefer to think that outward signs of devotion are somehow wrong. Is it perhaps because we've forgotten how? Is it so alien to us that, that our first assumption of a woman dressing nicely is one of mistrust??

6. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Wisdomseeker, I must apologize for giving the wrong impression. It is too late for me to edit the title of this thread.

I am specifically talking about loveliness. That is something that any and all women can and should have.

I did not ever mean to imply beauty in the sense that the world uses it.

I did not mean to turn this into a discussion about a woman's individual looks compared to other women and who is attractive. That has nothing to do with my post. To me, this was always about loveliness.

Sorry to cause any hurt feelings. It was not my intention.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

I assume you meant Muslim, not Muslin. I generally don't have a penchant for women composed of textiles :eek:

I think you're confusing Godliness with devotion. The issue of Islam aside, I think we could learn a lot when we see how people of other faiths reflect their devotion to their faith. Many Muslim and Jewish women, as well as men, cover their heads as a sign of devotion to God. It's a sign of respect, like when I take my hat off during the pledge or national anthem, or when I purposefully don't wear a hat when I attend Baptist Sunday worship. For the Amish and Shakers, that devotion permeates everything in life. I own reproduction Shaker furniture. A simple Shaker style chair exudes Godliness in its craftsmanship and quality. Yet we Christians prefer to think that outward signs of devotion are somehow wrong. Is it perhaps because we've forgotten how? Is it so alien to us that, that our first assumption of a woman dressing nicely is one of mistrust??
    </font>[/QUOTE]Prephaps you misunderstand me.
    Is all this devotion by muslim women equal godliness? No it doesn't. Neither does it equal godliness in a christian woman does it. Nothing to do with respect, the question is godliness.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think every man who loves his wife sees her as beautiful, no matter what flaws she may have that every one else sees.
    Thank God [​IMG]

9. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Lively discussion yes, but hurt feelings? When I was speaking of ruffled feathers, I didn't mean me [​IMG]

My viewpoint was a result of the other things you and others said. Not because you used the word beauty instead of lovliness in the title...which are synonymous by the way.

W.S.
    Amen to that. [​IMG]