1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should a president be a professing, Bible thumping believer?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Sep 10, 2015.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every time the presidential election comes around, and it seems to be starting earlier every four years, sort of like Christmas starts earlier each year, the question is how important is "faith" in the qualifications of the man or woman, versus the ability to lead and do what is best for ALL Americans?

Sure, I want a Bible believing man or woman, but every election cycle; the issue comes up, and in the case of Palin, her Christianity, or at least profession of Christianity, only caused more of a rift than it proved to be a positive!

So, in your heart of hearts, is it a deal breaker, that the person be a Bible believing, "Amen" spouting candidate? Or would you be happy just to have a person who cares about making America financially better and militarily stronger? :type:

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While this obviously spans over to "everyone", I'd like to leave it here and hear what Baptists around the USA are thinking.

Please do not abuse this/political debate or it will be moved and disappear faster than Hillary's emails :saint:

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally will vote for the candidate best for America. I would pray that at least one of the "tested" born-again candidates will be on the ballot. I am learning a lot about the "profession" of faith of some candidates v others in the "born again" ranks.

Not as much positive as I'd hoped for.:BangHead:

4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. I often think that the candidates tend to use Christianity and faith just to reach the Evangelicals, and that is a turn off! :tear:

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Dr. Bob. And thanks for a chuckle with the analogy!

I sure hope this pans out to be something other than political, too! :thumbsup:

6. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

It'd be nice if our president would be a professing Christian, but IMHO, that shouldn't necessarily be a "deal breaker" for me.

Jimmy Carter is a professing Christian, but during his one term [thank goodness his was a one-term presidency!] our nation experienced one of the longest recessions we've had in years.

Thankfully Carter's successor--a divorced, one-time film star and labor union leader--turned ou nation's economy around!

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many religious groups called Christian, including Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists. There are many splinter groups which call themselves Christian.

"The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch". Could we say a real Christian is a follower of Christ? Obviously, when one looks at the confusion of faith and practice prevalent in present day Christendom, one wonders who is really following Jesus, The Christ, The Son of The Living God. Most religions conform to the world from whence they originated. "It is no wonder: Satan himself is become an angel of light."

True Christianity, John 14:6, is not compatible with politics at any level. Most of the religious of the world have great difficulty with John 14:6. This includes the body politic of the U.S. of A.

It would be wonderful to have a President who was really "born again from above". However, only Jesus can fix the problem, using a rod of iron.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have stated before - Jimmy Carter popularize the term "Born again"
    Personally, I believe that President is on his way to Heaven.

Yet in spite of his religious beliefs - was he the the best choice for POTUS in 1976?

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would LOVE for the next President to be a Christian and to be one that believed "just like me". :saint:

But I'm not electing the nation's preacher, Sunday School teacher, or a person to represent a theocracy.

I will use certainly use Christian values as a litmus test for certain candidates: i.e., are they pro-life or pro-choice, pro-Israel or pro-anyone-but-Israel, and are they pro-Biblical marriage or pro-gay marriage.

But in the end, it has to come down to who will lead this country out of the mire that it is in.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish that Mitt Romney was running again.

Suggested campaign slogan: "I told you so."

11. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Given the fact that it is a little difficult to know the reality of a person's faith when it comes to Politicians, and the assumption that many will use "faith" as a means of garnering votes, I think we should keep in mind that this is a secular Office and that what is required of a potential candidate does not center around their religious views.

However, since America historically has been a Nation that professes fear of the God of the Bible, I do see that a candidate that professes faith in a god that is not the God of the Bible should be rejected. Not only do we see different ideals on the parts of those that embrace other gods, we see a distinctly different spirit. And it is just my belief that the Spirit of God is He that has established that true Spirit of America which has made this a great Nation, that has not only illustrated ideals that we believe better represent the will of the God of the Bible, but has a positive impact around the world. When their is a disaster, America is the first to respond, usually.

I have often wondered what it would be like to have a born again believer in Office, and I only say that because again, we cannot truly know the hearts of men. So I don't want to imply that no born again believers have ever held Office. Still, it is a secular Office, and as Dr. Bob has said, I think we should consider the candidate that is best for the job, and their professed faith should not be overlooked. Herman Caine was the one I was going to vote for, before they dredged up dirt and because of that he withdrew. Any man that will sing Gospel Hymns on national television when he knows that will assure certain in our country will not vote for him because of that...is alright with me.

Romney was a better choice despite his professed faith from a secular perspective, and sadly many Christians would not vote for him for that reason.

Well...I wonder if they are happy with the results of the professing Christian that won, lol.

God bless.

#11 Darrell C, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
  12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A man who fears the one true and living God is the best candidate.

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The biggest cause for all the confusion is that many religious powers that be think that JEHOVAH, ALLAH AND GAOTU are all the same.

Regarding our founding fathers: George Washington was a freemason, Thomas Jefferson was deist--he revised The Bible, leaving out Jesus, The Christ, the Son of The Son of the Living God. Most of what these gentlemen believed shows up as secular humanism. i.e. Man can work up to be a god. This is not a new notion. Satan was thrown out of heaven for wanting to be God.

The other leaders who claimed Christianity were either pedobaptists or anti-pedobaptists. The pedos are still in control. The antis are being persecuted. Being persecuted does not necessarily make someone's beliefs scriptural. e.g. Joseph Smith Jr., founder of LDS. Joe popped up in the 1830's. Seems he was a freemason too. He still has at least 13 million followers.

Not many years after the founding of our nation, we fought a Civil War. Both sides pleaded for The Almighty to give them victory.

We have yet to demonstrate: "One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." (sure beats some of the alternatives)

Our Constitution as amended is still worth fighting for--but we still need a ton of sackcloth and ashes.

Have we ever been pleasing to Jehovah God? We have gone after false gods. Spiritual idolatry is an insidious toxin which permeates the world, including the "free" world.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#13 Bro. James, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he is a dispensational premillennialist . . . definitely. I know a lot of true believers who would make dismal executives, but how could the possession of the beginnings of knowledge and wisdom be anything but a blessing from heaven in one who is a true leader?

15. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    America, as it is now, is a godless, heathen nation that is filled with pretenders of pretentious intentions.

There is not a single person; no Jeremiah, who preached for forty years with only two converts, no Asa, who removed the idolatry and perverts from the land, no one who is going to stand and thwart the judgment of God upon this nation.

It isn't a matter of IF, but when.

God's hand of judgment is upon this nation, and His judgment will destroy it.

So, it matters very little who is elected, and what policies are put forth.

Pro - life folks must remember that EVERY unborn child is in heaven. That should in some way bring comfort and some measure of gratitude. I am not saying I am not pro-life, but frankly, that issue is never going to change.

---- rights (fill in the blanks) are never going to be free from being diminished until extinction. The battle of personal rights was long ago lost at places like Fredricksburg, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Gettysburg...

There is NO hope left for America.

As much as I in my flesh would desire judgment not come, or in my flesh look for a place on this earth to escape and hide, neither God's hand will be stopped nor the place found in which God will not be present.

My hope is in Him.

With the loss of everything, my hope is in Him.

With the ever encroaching evil of perversion, excess, murder, pillage, and politics, my hope remains in Him.

Godly preachers need to build their flocks in the Word that the people be able to hold forth that word in their personal lives. For the evil one(s) fiery darts will not stop coming.

America, the judgment of God is upon you.

What a time is this for believers to let their little lights shine that the world see our good works and the Father is glorified in us and through us!

16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might want to edit the emboldened above before you lose the opportunity.

But I will comment that it is true, some of our founding fathers' doctrinal views can be seen not only as questionable, but downright heretical. The term " Theistic Rationalists" was given by one historian, and I would have to agree with him. Several denied the Deity of Christ and based on that some would deny Christianity altogether on their part, which may be true of some, but perhaps not all. After all, a Christian can be confused and still be a Christian, lol.

But, what we can say is that many of them feared the God of the Bible, and because of that I believe this country had an advantage over most. That fear has been waning and we can see in the political landscape that some are trading in a true fear and representation of God for...votes.

We know the day is coming when Tribulation will begin in earnest for this world, and it remains to be seen which side of the aisle America will be when that begins to unfold. What we are seeing is disturbing, but no reason for us to give up hope or shirk our responsibilities to be used of God to carry the Gospel to the world. As long as we keep that our focus we need not be overly worried about the decline of the world, and even our Country, for that has been the trend since Adam fell.

God bless.

17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are still a lot of God-fearing believers in America, my friend. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

To make such a statement forgets that there are men and women in this country ready to lay down their lives, and that includes soldiers, police, fire-fighters, and everyday ordinary citizens.

On this day, of all days...

...we should not forget that.

There is always hope.

God bless.

18. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we elect whom we want?

How much, "free will," are we willed?

And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding: Dan 2:21

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Rom 13:1

Do we get what we deserve?

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bathwater is well polluted with excess and ungodly worship of the fleshly, feel good, ear tickling, no-doctrine folks who are ignorant of Scriptures and unsound in judgment.

God spews such "babies" out.

You do not know that my family endured scalping from before the french and indian war, that I have members who stood on the battle front and paid the ultimate sacrifice in every conflict this nation has stood up against.

Don't pretend to present to me what "men and women in this country (are) ready to" do.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the judgment God has placed upon this land.

The writer of Romans starts by stating the condition of a people God is bringing judgment upon, and it is a picture of the western hemisphere.
    For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.

Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
    The above IS America - not just the USA, but throughout the western hemisphere.

On THIS day, in THESE times the instruction and cry to all believers should be:
    "But when these things begin to take place, straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
    THAT is what is not to be forgotten.

My hope is in Him.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Aaron said.