1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians be boxers?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by OCC, Jul 16, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Ga 5:13
    ¶ For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
    Ga 5:14
    For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Ga 5:15
    But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
    Ga 5:16
    This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
    Ga 5:17
    For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
    Ga 5:18
    But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
    Ga 5:19
    Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    Ga 5:20
    Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    Ga 5:21
    Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    Ga 5:22
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    Ga 5:23
    Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    Ga 5:24
    And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    Ga 5:25
    If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
    Ga 5:26
    Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Eph 5:1
    ¶ Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
    Eph 5:2
    And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
    Eph 5:3
    ¶ But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
    Eph 5:4
    Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
    Eph 5:5
    For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
    Eph 5:6
    Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
    Eph 5:7
    Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
    Eph 5:8
    For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
    Eph 5:9
    (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
    Eph 5:10
    Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
    Eph 5:11
    And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
    Eph 5:12
    For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
    Eph 5:13
    But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
    Eph 5:14
    Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
    Eph 5:15
    See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
    Eph 5:16
    Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
    Eph 5:17
    Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
    Eph 5:18
    And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
    Eph 5:19
    Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
    Eph 5:20
    Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Shall I go on?

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Well, since I am the one in this fight and you are not, I therefore am more able by default, of knowing and deciding what a coward is. Your seats in the cheap section only give you a partial view.

Yeah we are special hypocrites because we say 'Freedom of Speech, Freedom to Assemble, Freedom of the Press, etc' and yet make you actually DO something to earn it and then DO more to keep it. Shame on us. :rolleyes: Did you miss the part about the military being ALL VOLUNTEER? Guess so. Hey if you have freedoms and dont want to do anything to keep them, it is just fine by me when you lose them.

Valid point to boxing or to giving you yet another platform to deride Americans?

I do not support war or boxing really. The last person to actually WANT war is the one who is specifically trained and paid to fight one. I feel that both are examples that if one truly contemplated them well, you would see that both are last resorts. If someone is close enough for you to have to throw a punch...somebody is going to end up with consequences. War is an admission of complete breakdown of diplomacy. Both situations are less than ideal. So in your comparisions, that much is true. But that is about all.
    Not one person on this board seems to understand your compulsion to discuss the merits of war and/or boxing. Cant refute something that has such a fuzzy point on it.

Um how? Because there is no draft? Or because we wont let people take more planes and fly them into buildings?

</font>[/QUOTE]And THAT isnt a jab? :eek: Im thinking summer school for ya. [​IMG]

I never heard of Georgous George either.

I agree wholeheartedly that to those much is given, much is required. Excellent point.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We gotta consider the boxing of Jesus' earthly time...the participants sat across from each other and wore the CESTUS, a stone glove. All bouts were decided by KO, usually a PERMANENT one.

OTOH, wrestling was a "noble" sport with stricter rules than today's competitive wrestling(not today's "pro" rasslin')

Today's boxing is less dangerous than the racing done in Jesus'day, both on foot and in chariots. Foot racers sometimes hired people to waylay their chief competitors as they raced through the countryside, and often fought each other as they approached the finish. And I think we've all seen the "Rome 500" chariot race in the movie Ben-Hur.The dangers shown there were very real, and at least one person was killed in almost every major chariot race.

Today's equivalent to the Roman Formula-One chariot circuit is NASCAR. Both it and boxing have about the same number of deaths each year although there are far more boxers than race drivers.

But as far as GOD'S view of boxing and other sports...racing is mentioned in Scripture, and some form of racing appears to have been the fave sports of the day among the Jews of the area. I believe His view of today's boxing depends upon the motive behind it. The top boxers are usually the highest-paid athletes in the world, and there's nothing wrong with making HONEST money. But ever since there's been competitive sports at all, there's been the sleazy gambling underground surrounding them.

They say the object of boxing is to injure the opponent. What about football? When I played, as a fullback, I tried to run over any would-be tackler, while he tried to hit me so hard I wouldn't want the ball again.

And let us not forget that God gives certain people athletic ability for a REASON.

4. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

The only sport I enjoyed playing in gym class was baseball. Any contact sport...soccer...football...dodge ball...they gave the other kids an excuse to "beat me up" and get away with it. As bruised as I came out of those games, the teacher would yell at me for complaining and telling me to "toughen up". I was always the runt of the class, and not a threat to anyone. So they took advantage of that to make themselves look "tough". But, growing up, I always believed that forcing my child to play sports when he/she didn't want to play would be a form of child abuse...especially if they were coming home with cuts and bruises every day. Keep in mind this was from a child's POV. I'm not saying that parents are abusive by signing their kids up for sports.

That's not true.
    Boxing is offense. War is defense.
    Boxing is a game. War is real life.
    Boxing is unnecessary. War is necessary.

To scope it down to simplicity, if someone was a threat to my family and my husband isn't home, I will use my gun on them. I certainly can't strongarm them out of my house, and talking them into leaving us alone is ...well...stupid. I have to use whatever measures I can to eliminate the danger from my home.

But, I wouldn't go a round of boxing with someone for the fun of it. frankly, I believe boxing is a slow game of Russian Roulette. Back when boxing was first started, I don't believe they had the technology to truely know what kind of damage could occur by knocking someone out. We know better today. A knockout means that some form of serious damage to the brain...most likely a brain bleed...has caused the boxer to lose consciousness. If CT scans and MRIs aren't enough to convince us, take a good hard look at Mahammad Ali.

It's one thing to fight to defend the lives of your family...or welfare of your country. But it's something totally different to fight to get a belt (is that the boxer's prize, or the wrestler's?). I dunno, but whatever the prize, it's not worth a lifetime of mental retardation for. On the other hand, I'm willing to risk my life to save my kids...and I'm certainly willing to kill an intruder who risks the lives of my kids.

There was a professional wrestler named "Gorgeous George" (last name Wagner) Photos and Bio HERE

There was another wrestler names Gorgeous George, Jr.

Apparently, another wrestler in the 70's, Gorgeous George Grant was a knockoff name to cash in on the popularity of the legendary Gorgeous George Wagner from the 50's and 60's.

Article by "Gorgeous" George Grant HERE

Didn't find anything about a boxer by that name.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Artimaeus, he may have been a wrestler. Sorry 'bout that. I get sports mixed up. In the first link, the pictures looked like the Gorgeous George in the photos he handed out (I'll try to find one next time I go to my parents' house). But, it said in that same article that he died in 1961. I wasn't even born then. So, I have to wonder if that guy ("Evangelist George Grant" who spoke to us) was for real.

5. OCC

OCC Guest

If you want to. I don't see one verse that says "thou shalt not box".

6. OCC

OCC Guest

emeraldcity said: "Well, since I am the one in this fight and you are not, I therefore am more able by default, of knowing and deciding what a coward is. Your seats in the cheap section only give you a partial view."

Being in the fight does not give you the exclusive right to define what a coward is. My seats in the cheap section happen to be pretty important. I live right between a tunnel and a bridge that are major routes for international trade, therefore are very likely targets for acts of terrorism and I don't want that...therefore, I have a right to an opinion.

emeraldcity said: "Yeah we are special hypocrites because we say 'Freedom of Speech, Freedom to Assemble, Freedom of the Press, etc' and yet make you actually DO something to earn it and then DO more to keep it. Shame on us. Did you miss the part about the military being ALL VOLUNTEER? Guess so. Hey if you have freedoms and dont want to do anything to keep them, it is just fine by me when you lose them."

You said so yourself..."and yet make you actually DO something to earn it...". Excuse me but to MAKE someone do something violates their freedom.

I did not miss the fact that the military is all volunteer. In fact, where did I say otherwise? I was referring to the attitudes of people like you that say a country can "MAKE" citizens serve in the military.

That is what I have said all along...I am not happy that you would try to make me appear stupid; implying that I think the military is not all volunteer. Now that I think about it, it is subtly NOT volunteer. Every male below the age of 26 I believe, has to register their name on a list do they not?

Who said I would not do anything to defend my freedoms? I would defend my freedoms to the death...I do not believe the government has the right to force me to do such. There is a difference there. Take a few hours and meditate on this and you will see the difference. Never did I say I would not defend my freedoms.

7. OCC

OCC Guest

emeraldcity said : "Hey if you have freedoms and dont want to do anything to keep them, it is just fine by me when you lose them."

The former is incorrect; the latter is not the attitude of a soldier.