1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians be wearing Wedding Rings.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ben W, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I went looking for articles on this subject and found this one that I think is quite interesting. Yes it is written by an itinerant Adventist minister, yet his research into the pagan origins of Wedding Rings and the way that various Christian Groups have approached the subject is quite good.

What I am seeing is that Wedding Rings are Pagan and there seems to be no history of the practice in the New Testament as regards to Christian Marriage.

I am interested on how the other posters here might view this particular issue?

http://www2.andrews.edu/~samuele/books/christian_dress/4.html

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I'll stick with my wedding ring and what it symbolizes. [​IMG]

Rachel

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The person who wrote that article is a SDA who is a legalist as well.

I could use his same reasoning to not wear pants in America too. Can you imagine every man in America wearing a cloak instead?

One could use the same reasoning to not have a flush toilet too.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

One of the things I was taught in university is to proceed with extreme caution if using works written by SDA's and Jehovah's witnesses.

5. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ben,

A long and tedious study of finger rings with the author's conclusion:
    The emboldened text the presumed essence of the matter (according to the author) IMO.

Using the reasoning of that essence that "the love and use of jewelry have consistently resulted in spiritual decline and apostasy", consider the following Scripture :

1 Titus 6
    10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Here we see those very same lusts and consequences at work.

Why go half way?

We should therefore divest ourselves of our money as well as our jewelry in order to avoid these lusts and their consequence.

In fact Jesus supports this line of reasoning:

Matthew 19
    21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
    22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
    23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

HankD

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My bifocals were invented by Ben Franklin, a deist. That doesn't make me "ungodly" for wearing them and being able to see the screen as I type!

Rings were common in all ages, from Moses to the prodigal's father. Each had special significance.

My wedding band (black hills gold leaves/diamond) likewise has special significance.

8. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Horton Davies reported: "The Puritans deplored the retention in the [Church of England] prayer-book of such Catholic ceremonies as the signing of the cross in Baptism, the bowing at the name of Jesus, the turning to the East for the Creed, the kneeling for Communion, and the use of the ring in marriage" (WORSHIP AND THEOLOGY: FROM CRANMER TO BAXTER AND FOX, 1534-1690, p. 220).

I am not sure why the Puritans objected to the use of the ring except because of its use in marriage ceremonies in the Roman Catholic Church.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I think married people, whether or not they are Christians, should wear wedding rings.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If you look at the passages mentioned in the 2nd sentence of the article, in 1 Tim 2 and particularly 1 Pet 3, these passages are merely saying that real beauty comes from modesty and a gentle and quiet spirit; women should not rely on gaudy or flashy jewelry to look beautiful.

The point is not to ban jewelry or gold but that women should cultivate modesty, and a gentle and quiet spirit. Undoubtedly this partly had to with the behavior of the pagan women in that culture of the early church and maybe the behavior of some of the converted pagan women who were heavily adorned with flashy jewelry.

Wearing a wedding band has nothing to do with this! Don't people have real issues to ponder with all that's going on in the world?

This article reminds me of my favortie quote from some famous preacher (can't recall the name) about Christians busy arranging (or arguing about the arrangement of) the deck chairs on a sinking ship.

And aside from that, the writer starts off saying he is not writing the article to sit in judgement of those who wear jewelry, and then he proceeds to do so throughout the article while touting the teachings of Ellen White!

11. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only do I and my husband wear wedding rings, but each is etched with the sysbol of the cross, to remind us it is God that binds us together, and it is with reverence to Him that we pledged to each other.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rings/earrings in Scripture:

As a symbol of favor with God and man.
    Genesis 41
    41 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, See, I have set thee over all the land of Egypt.
    42 And Pharaoh took off his ring from his hand, and put it upon Joseph's

As an intrument of betrothal (Rebekah)
    Genesis 24
    22 And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold;
    23 And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?
    24 And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.

In OT offerings to the Lord:
    Exodus 35
    22 And they came, both men and women, as many as were willing hearted, and brought bracelets, and earrings, and rings, and tablets, all jewels of gold: and every man that offered offered an offering of gold unto the LORD.

As a symbol of authority:
    Esther 8:8
    Write ye also for the Jews, as it liketh you, in the king's name, and seal it with the king's ring: for the writing which is written in the king's name, and sealed with the king's ring, may no man reverse.

As a gift of love and affection:
    Luke 15:22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

HankD

13. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will keep wearing mine as well. It symbolizes the eternal bond to my wife. When anyone looks at my finger I want them to know I'm married.

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

If you really want to be biblical, then you need to put the ring in your nose ...

Genesis 24:47 47 "Then I asked her, and said, 'Whose daughter are you?' And she said, 'The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bore to him'; and I put the ring on her nose, and the bracelets on her wrists.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ouch?

HankD

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I see there is now an opportunity for the old "ring-in-the-nose" jokes about married men, being led by their wives . . . [​IMG]

Nah, nevermind.

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I'm going to stop wearing my wedding ring when the days of the week are changed and the names of the months are altered.

18. Dogsbody

Dogsbody New Member

"My bifocals were invented by Ben Franklin, a deist. That doesn't make me "ungodly" for wearing them and being able to see the screen as I type!"

Only evil if they're wire frame. Worldly! You must wear black plastic, horn rimed to be holy. You know, like Buddy Holly!(snicker)

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the scriptural method is to use cardinal numbers: 1st day, 2nd day ... 7th day of the week, etc..

Baptist churches who have a services sign out front should signify the days of the week that way.

4th or 5th day prayer meeting instead of Woden's day or Thor's day prayer meeting!

Imagine.

HankD

20. pcs1991

pcs1991 New Member

Like wise I will continue to where my wedding ring. I believe that it is the only visible way to tell if someone is married.