1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians Own Guns????

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You must of had to learn to memorize these Scriptures.

2. gekko

gekko New Member

what is that supposed to mean? heh

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Only partly rbell. Everything I said was true. However that is not to say I don't have my own problems; they are just of a different nature.
    The post was in answer to Alcott's post, which in itself was a bit arrogant to the question posted by someone else. That question was:
    Alcott apparently believes that God is not able to protect him unless he does have a gun, according to his post. Thus I responded point by point.
    God is able to protect. He has promised over and over never to leave us or forsake us. His promise of protection is given in the 23rd Psalm in many other Scriptures. Though Americans have the right to bear arms, it is not a necessity. What does the Bible say:

Psalms 20:7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.
    DHK

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Someday, Alcott will look God in the face . . . and say one of two things, "Uh God do you uh . . . I mean are you . . . uh . . . still mad at me?" or "God you never protected me on earth - why do you think I would want into your stupid heaven now."

I know it is a false dichotomy - the truth is: he will be dumbstruck in the presence . . . but, it is good for the point!

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

same answer for every post.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If criminals are reading these posts they sure will know who to rob. Don't think they come to my house though.

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

Let them come. I have 2 rubberband guns I keep on my person and can hit a fly on the wall at 6 inches.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Not worried Bob.

Even if they got past the guard dogs, trip flares, and barricades - there ain't nothing worth taking . . . except the good Word and they can have that for free.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, with that bad back and all right. :)

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That just makes it that much easier to give them the Word rather than fight it out . . .

;)

11. gekko

gekko New Member

so. all in all. get a good alarm system. a good guard dog. a guard cat if you dont like dogs. and forget the guns.

:D

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

nnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You-- I won't directly call you that, but the word rhymes with dryer. God is able to protect me, and I never said otherwise. But he didn't in the past, so there is no logical reason to believe he will in the future.

That obviously does not mean he will keep us from harm, whatever it does mean.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's nothing but a pile of jibberish.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Welllll, just what will you tell God when He asks, "Didn't I do the best for you? Wasn't I there for you? I gave my Son for you. I did not spare Him so that I could spare you. What more do you want from me?"

What are you going to answer Him?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If God did not protect you, who is it at the other end typing out these messages going by a name called Alcott. Is it a ghost? Is his body in the grave? Is he yet alive? Does he breathe? Has God kept him alive, protected him to this day with a life that he may live and thereby glorify God.
    Did God make any guarantees to protect you from staple guns. Where do you read that in the Bible?
    DHK

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you read, in the Bible or anywhere else, that you are "protecting" someone as long as you don't let them die? I read of a couple who left their baby alone in the house for a while with thier dog. When they got back that dog had bitten 2 of her toes off. But they didn't let her die, so they were protecting her, right? But all this is a trifle, since God obviously does let people-- good people bad people, indifferent people-- die. I could name examples of each, but I don't doubt you know plenty examples yourself. Don't you?

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

James 1:2-3 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Romans 5:3-4 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17-18 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Philippians 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;
    --This is God's will for your life.

Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
    --Tough to take?

Matthew 5:11-12 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
    --These are one of the beattitudes.

1 Peter 1:6-7 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
    --Still unconvinced?

1 Peter 4:12-13 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
    --Is suffering God's will or not?

In addition read and understand the Book of Job. It might help you.
    DHK

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Job is a boring book. Among the poetry books, I like Proverbs better. "Honey is sweet and good, but too much of it will make you puke," or a facsimile of that it says.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What you don't like and do like in the Bible is of no consequence. The question is what is relevant to the topic that is being discussed. Try looking up the verse and then quoting it accurately--word for word, lest you become confused and get the wrong meaning of the verse. And try to stay on the topic.
    DHK