1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Chrsitians Depart Denominations That Affirm Homosexuality Now?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JesusFan, Jun 20, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Since larges Churches like some of the Lutheren and presbetarians have espoused now that as long as One is in a Monogomas relationship, God accepts it in His eyes as being "married:...

Should EVERY Christian in Churches/Denomination supporting this come out of it now and go to other Churches?

per the "Sticky"

This is NOT a discussion on if Homosexuality is a sin or not, but just IF Christians should immediatly depart those espousing that it is "accepted fully" by God today...

#1 JesusFan, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  2. mandym

mandym New Member

Yes they should

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like many other make or break issues in the past; yes.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. It would also be the time for those churches that have held firm to Biblical teaching to leave the denomination as well.

5. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I think it is clear that these denominations should have been abadoned a long time ago. Personally, I think Machen and others waited a little too long to abandon the Presbyterian Church. Spurgeon, when he left the Baptist Union, felt he had waited too long.

Homosexuality is not the issue, the issue was the liberalism that eventually led to abandoning the Biblical view of Marriage.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My immediate answer is yes.

But I do wonder what would have happened to Southern Baptists if all the conservatives had left. Some did, of course, and simply became Independent (or, Non-Convention)Baptists.

The Conservative Resurgence in the SBC succeeded precisely because the majority of conservatives did not leave. And, conservatives still made up a majority of SBCers.

The Conservative Resurgence succeeded, in my opinion, because conservatives discovered how to use the existing machinery. It took ten years to complete wresting the denomination from the liberal and moderate leadership.

I'm not sure the machinery of other denominations would lend itself to that kind of resurgence. Nor do I know if there are enough "people in the pews" who want such a resurgence.

So, I guess the question is, can this church (or denomination) be saved?

If the answer is no, then I go.

7. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Tom,

I understand your post. The SBC is a radically different and unique situation. Having thought a lot about this, my conclusion was:

A Pastor is called to Pastor the church and that means to do what is best for the church, not a denomination. If you fail, history has shown the denomination will pull churches down with it. As well, Spurgeon taught us that when we finally realize the depths of their liberalism, then the denomination was too far gone.

I am not criticizing you as I have some very close friends who have stayed in more liberal denominations to fight. Yet, for me I was called to Pastor a flock not fight a denomination.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose, but one thing we have learned is that leaving the denomination can sometimes be a very sticky situation. There are many entanglements with property and personnel. Some have found ways to "purchase" their ways out others have graciously been "turned loose". Still others look to the court for relief.

For better or worse people are very attached to their denominations so there is also an emotional cost. In the end I think that it is most always best for churches and denominations to separate and go their own way once it is clear they two can't be unified in purpose, faith and practice.

I have found it is easy for me as a Baptist with a core of independence to unsympathetically say, leave already. I have came to have a special regard for those I have encountered that feel their place is stay as a clear thinking voice in their particular denominations which is sliding toward heresy, if not their already.

9. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Tom, my knee-jerk is yes! What is important though is that when a decision of this type is pressed on us, we need to follow God in prayer and then do as He leads.

10. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

NO Christian should support homosexuality or any other sin. God does not condone sin and neither should we.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree but usually it's not been a fast decision. We've been at our current church since '96 so 15 years. We left a PCUSA church that was very actively fighting this whole issue even back then and it was discussed while we were still there whether we'd stay in the denom or not. Since it had not gone through, we voted to stay in but it was with the knowledge that someday, this WOULD go through and we would leave the denom. I've not been in contact with anyone from that church (most who we were friends with have since left as well) but I'm sure that discussion continues. It was a very Bible following church and I don't believe that it could ever stay in a denomination that taught against the Word of God.

12. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are conservative resurgences taking place in the UMC and the ELCA. Not big or successful at this point, but hey, you gotta start someplace.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If a denomination distances itself with or holds to a teaching clearly against the Word of God, I would leave.

I must admit that I do think that the point some have made about staying may have merit, though. Some battles are worth fighting.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

Local Baptist churches operate under "don't ask, don't tell?" Or do the elders make surprise inspections, checking for alcohol and pot?