1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should church members be expected to....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by ktn4eg, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

....agreed with their pastor on every doctrine/practice that he holds to?

If not, on which doctrine(s)/practice(s) should they be allowed to hold differing views?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see, our orientation booklet states, "Our Elders must be in full agreement with every point of the doctrinal statement based on a knowledge of the Bible. Members may be undecided on some points, but no member may affirm a contrary or divisive doctrine."

That being said, over the past year our elder council has discussed issues from creation to spiritual gifts. We decided long ago that we could "agree to disagree" on non-essential doctrinal issues. When issues such as these are discussed among the congregation we are sensitive and include a wide range of beliefs.

Newer believers are given great latitude to grow into their faith. As they assume roles of service and leadership their understanding grows and is expected to fall in line with our statement of belief as stated in our constitution.

Rob

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hmmm, I could've sworn my Bible said I didn't need a high priest. IF that is the case I see no reason why I should agree with the preacher on every point of doctrine (it's impossible anyhow, just look around the BB).

HOWEVER, it would be unwise of me to be part of a church where I disagreed with the pastor more often than I agreed with him, and down right dumb to be part of the church where the pastor and I disagreed on those things I consider essential: deity of Christ, virgin birth, free will, etc. Now if we disagree on whether the earth was created in 6 days or 6 millennia or what Paul's thorn in the side was, well we could probably still work together for the glory of God.