1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should Churches Restrict Mobile-Cell Phone Use During Services?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shadowlands, May 11, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be honest I use my tablet in the service to not only read my Bible but look at various books that can aide in my study of the word of God.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SmartPhones are valuable tools. The difference between a iPhone and Android is the operating system. iPhones by Apple, and Android by Google. In my opinion you want to stick with Apple. I know people that have moved from iPhone to Android, and then back to apple again because of the ease of use among many reasons.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    what you said is all Greek to me. I am very happy with my Wally flip phone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel the opposite. Once you use android on a flagship device that has the ability to use all Its capabilities effectively, most will have no desire for apple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But that is not the time to go reading something else. You are there to listen to the Word of God read and preached by the pastor. A GREAT thing to do is to take your notes home with you and then at least on Monday, use those notes for your personal study time and THEN go to look at the various books. Would you bring those physical books to church and start flipping through them as the pastor preached?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

So you would have no problem with you kids checking out different apps and /or web pages while the teacher is teaching at a public school?

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No way

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So don't do it on your phone either. Again - Use the sermon notes for the basis of your personal study on Monday or further into the week each week. Trust me - your pastor would love if you did that!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not do it on my phone. My phone stays in the car but the iPad goes with me.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats like saying (at a KJO church) My NIV stays in the car, but the NKJV goes with me.

Bottom line - using an electronic instrument to read along where the pastor is reading/preaching is one thing - '
    but to be looking up other info - unrelated to the message is an Article 15 offense.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not unless you cary a dictionary on your iPad and use it to look up words the pastor uses.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In that case, I will be sitting under a pastor in whom I can trust, as he studies in preprepation for his message.
    Otherwise, I will simply make some notes and as Ann said: " Use the sermon notes for the basis of your personal study on Monday or further into the week each week. Trust me - your pastor would love if you did that!"

14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I am a bad parent, by as long as they do not get in trouble and they make good grades, I don't care. I was the college student that always took the course taught by the department head. Why? The department head was tenured, did what they wanted, usually wrote the book, and never took attendance. About half my classes, I went first day, test days, hand in paper days, and final exam day. Read the book, take the tests. One time. I thought I screwed up. The class had no tests or papers, only a final. I did not go to class at all. I made a 36% on the final. I almost did. not even look over at the final class grade posting after seeing the 36 exam score. I did and it was an A. Professor graded on curve. 6 As, 6 Fs, 10 B, 10 D,s rest Cs. I had highest grade in class.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's acceptable to restrict cell usage only in theaters. It's legalistic and hypocritical to do it in churches.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting analogy. But why is it legalistic, and how is it hypocritical?

and why is it wrong to use it in a move theater. I might want to look up IMDb
    For Example- I go to see "Born in China" so I look up the IMDb and see that the narrator is John Krasinski - first I want to see the bio about him and then see what other characters he has played. - WOW - this is fantastic - instant knowledge. So that is where I saw him before - he played in "The Office"!

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was being sarcastic and facetious. ;)

I think devices should be checked at the door. :)

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    sorry not awake yet - been working all weekend

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true - not the Apple part (IMHO you give up far too much for simplicity... to each his own), but the smartphone being a useful tool part.

My son is in middle school (about to go to high school). For the past few years he has used a smartphone in class. The school uses smartphones in class, having students share with those who don’t have one. Now, for the most part, they have chromebooks so this is changing. But they are good tools.

I also use a tablet in church (a bible app) and bring up notes I have on specific passages. It’s great to have my notes (extended notes, if I want) readily avaliable. I even have a couple of sermons linked to specific passages.

• Like Like x 1
  20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain.