1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should England Use Military Force?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Martin, Mar 27, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Yes but only if Iran threatens to execute the soldiers

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should England use military force to free it's soldiers if Iran chooses to put them on trial?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diplomacy first, of course.

But if Iran continues this idiocy or raises the stakes with phony trials, etc, I believe the British should make the Iranian Navy disappear.

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Iran may be looking for a fight with the USA, Britian, and others. They've taken note of the lack of resolve amongst us and are seizing the opportunity to be bold in the world view. Sometimes you have to give people want they think they want. Let's hope not but, if it's necessary, "Do What Has To Be Done" and don't apologize for it!

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

By any chance, have you seen the documentary The Fog of War?

Regards,
    BiR

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No, I don't generally watch many movies and especially avoid most documentaries prepared by Hollywood so I don't have an opinion - one way or the other - about the film per se.

I have, however, managed to live some within the "fog of war" and, like all who have, came away with my own "six inch view" of it. Today my view is, perhaps, slightly more elevated than it was then that being the result of much subsequent study and communications with fellow warriors.

I have read, at least in part, McNamara's In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam so I'm aware of his own "lessons learned" which are suppose to be, as I understand it, echoed in the documentary.

I agree with some of his conclusions but disagree with many of them entirely and most in at least some perspective. He's not one of my favorites!

Likewise, I've also read many other books by military and civilian leaders of the times and found similar agreement and disagreement.

6. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I think this is reasonable. No country has to allow its citizens to be kidnapped.

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I'd have given them a deadline for the safe return of the soldiers and aimed my missles at their seaport. I don't believe in bargaining with bullies. Why we allow ourselves to be terrorized in this manner is beyond me.

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Well, you might want to watch that one.

Regards,
    BiR

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree 100%. I believe the time for negotiations is coming to a rapid end now that Iran is threatening to put the soldiers on trial if England does not back down. I have said before, and I stand by my statement, what Iran has done is an act of war. If these sailors are put on trial and/or harmed in any way England should make sure that Iran pays a very high price.

"Speaking on Iranian state radio, Larijani said: "British leaders have miscalculated this issue." If Britain follows through with its policies on the 15 British sailors and marines detained by Iran last week, Larijani said "this case may face a legal path" — a clear reference to Iran's prosecuting the sailors in court." -From Yahoo News

10. johnp.

johnp. New Member

We are allies remember. :) They can put stuff into orbit.

The way I see it is that if the Captain of our warship had discretionary powers then he failed in his duty to protect his men and should be replaced with a man that our troops can trust.
    If the Captain of our warship had no discretionary powers but was ordered to stand down then this is part of the overall statergy. The first troops have gone over the top. Game on.

john.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Those 15 British warriors are probably hoping something decisive is done on their behalf real soon and that it doesn't involve a cave-in to Iran's demands. May the Lord keep them safe and sound until they can be brought home to their own people.