1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should English be Our Preferred Language in America?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 23, 2010.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should this administration decide to grant millions of illegal immigrants amnesty, how do you feel about requiring them to speak English ???

I'm sure there will be those who tell me that English is not America's tongue. So let's get past that, with my agreeing with you. I realize that is a fact, but, it is what American's identify their language as being, and that is English.

I also know that there is what the British call the "Queen's English", and what American's call English, referring to what it is that we, as American's, try to converse with each other in!

Still, should all American's be required to read, write, and speak English? That is the question of the day should amnesty become the rule of law.

Thanks for your answers.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

#1 righteousdude2, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Requiring the "illegals" to learn and speak English sounds like a good idea to me.

If an "illegal" ever needs any kind of emergency help while here (house fire, medical attention, etc.), knowing and speaking English will certainly be a great help.

Besides, didn't the vast majority of legal immigrants in years gone by have to learn English?

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreef....

.... let's get 'er done! You and I can lead the way! Great reasons for English being the language of choice, BTW.

Pastor Paul

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What about all persons born here to families who don't speak English? They are citizens, too! Do you grant them citizenship when they speak English?

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question. And should all high school kids be given an English test their senior year and those who fail have a quasi-citizenship until they pass the test?

6. targus

targus New Member

The OP is asking a hypothetical question.

In the event that illegal immigrants were granted amnesty should there be a condition that they learn English?

The OP is not talking about current citizens.

Please try to stay on topic.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other questions are hypothetical also ... and are on target. You simply do not want to look into the can of worms such a law would open. :laugh:

8. targus

targus New Member

There are two options in regards to amnesty for illegal immigrants.

1. With conditions

2. Without conditions

Is it necessary that any condition placed upon illegal immigrants seeking amnesty automatically be placed upon citizens also?

If no criminal record were a condition of anmesty would you be asking the same question regarding citizens?

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

27 states already have laws establishing English as the official language. Perhaps it is time for the Federal government to get their act together before we all have to learn French or Chinese.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

There are a lot of "English speaking Americans" who can't as high school students, pass this English test.

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The sad thing is most Americans only know one language--Bad English. Many will not even care to learn another language.

Many other cultures know two and three different languages at minimum.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Many "illegals" come here and their children are born here. So,,....English, Por Favor??

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any teacher knows that foreign born parents are disgusted that their children are not working very hard in school and American parents complain that their children are working hard and need more time for fun.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should English be Our Preferred Language in America?

Yes.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sad but true. I tutor part-time at a local college and there are very few students who can write at an elementary level, much less at college level. Welcome to the video age. :(

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    American English should be. Not English, English. We are not England but American.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I would think that goes without saying, old chap.:smilewinkgrin:

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

I know in Alabama, the driver's test is given in something like two dozen languages.

So, let me get this straight...we're licensing people to drive (which, BTW, is not a right), knowing full well that they are not capable of reading road signs or other particularly critical information.

This country isn't the least bit interested in security. Sad.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We have gone from being a "melting pot" to just plain pot.

20. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

English IS our main language in this country, and I resent people who come here to live and won't bother to learn our language. If I moved to another country, I would expect to learn their language so that I could communicate with them. That is just (un)common courtesy--showing respect for others.