1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should government flags be flying half-staff for the pope?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Apr 4, 2005.

?
  1. Yes; primarily because he was a man of great respect and influence, to Catholics and non-Catholics

57.6%
  2. Yes; primarily because he was in fact a head of state with which we have diplomatic relations

24.2%
  3. No; primarily because this is government respecting an establishment of religion in a way not done f

10.6%
  4. No; primarily because government bodies must not take any position in regard to a religious body or

7.6%
  5. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently many, possibly most, flags on government facilities in the USA are flying half-staff for the death of the pope. Should they be?

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was the Head of State for Vatican City which is a nation-state that we have diplomatic relations with - so no problems here.

3. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

You didn't have my answer:
    no, because I don't really respect him. [​IMG] :rolleyes:

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yes. The first option.

He was a source of leadership, and leadership even for Protestants, if we're willing to see it. Theological concerns aside, JP II was a lot more like Jesus than we enlightened Protestants give him credit for.

5. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

OK, so maybe I misread the first answer then.

TragicP, I am wiling to see that the pope did some rather good thigns for mankind, yup . . . And probably we will reap those bennefits for a while yet . . . but I still don't respect him, and I don't like the idea of comparing him to Jesus on any level.

Princess Diana did a lot of 'great' things for mankind as well, and I had no respect for her.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Our daughter called today. She's married to a non practicing Catholic man whose father goes to mass every day but no one else in the family attends. The MOTHER IN LAW is hysterical... crying, screaming, sobbing... 'It's like GOD died' she says! Their family honestly believes Pope John Paul is all that kept the Catholic church 'as it is' and it's going to fall apart now with all sorts of things changing. Easter and Christmas is all she gave to the RCC .... The father is even worse.

7. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

That says it all.
    "It's like God died."
    Hello . . .
    :eek:

8. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

I can't think of other heads of state that we have flown the flag at half-mast for..not saying there hasn't been any, but its been very few.

From a religious aspect, I don't think it should be done unless the government will be flying it at half-mast for other religions, example: the head of the Mormon Church when he passes...after all, he's suppose to be a prophet talking with God.

Personally, I have no respect for any man that covers up for the employees under his supervision as the Pope did with the priests in the sexual molestation of children scandal. Then even going as far as to say those priests were not as bad as Catholics who had divorce and remarried.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Don't have a problem with it.

I can understand why so many Catholics are upset. For many, he is the only Pope that they have ever known. Also, he kept the Catholic church together through some very turbulent times and held to their Catholic distinctives on issues like homosexuality, abortion, etc. despite tremendous pressure from liberal Catholics.

PS --
    Aren't all Christians supposed to be like Jesus?

10. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Put forth a different angle

What if we had not flown the flag at half staff?

give me some headlines you might see.

11. atestring

atestring New Member

When Billy Graham Dies ( I hope not soon)I am sure that American flags will fly 1/2 staff.
    When Oral Roberts Dies (I hope not soon) the same consideration should be given. Otherwise we should not fly flags 1/2 staff for the Pope although I dearly loved the man.

12. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Now that Prince Ranier has died, it will be interesting to see if flags are at half-mast for him since he's head of state.

13. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

I think Billy Graham you will see it done.

Oral Roberts now that is a stretch without

wanting to debate it, I think not imho.

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Again, I think it's inappropriate for flags to be flown at half-staff for those outside of government positions or government assignments. Our local flags (city and state) have flown at half-staff for previous govenors who died or a policeman killed in the line of duty.

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yes; primarily because he was a man of great respect and influence, to Catholics and non-Catholics 24% (7)

Yes; primarily because he was in fact a head of state with which we have diplomatic relations 31% (9)

No; primarily because this is government respecting an establishment of religion in a way not done for other religions 28% (8)

No; primarily because government bodies must not take any position in regard to a religious body or belief 10% (3)

I don't know 7% (2)

16. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Seems to be getting closer perhaps another
    10-15 votes will give us a dead heat.(no pun
    intended)

17. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

NO flag of mine will fly half mast for either of them. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

18. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Yes, I think it is appropriate.

19. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

The only Oral that commands that kind of respect is my grandfather. ;) heh heh

kidding :rolleyes:

20. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Sue, I Agree!
    I favored the first choice.

like it or not, our nation represents others than WASP. I don't agree with JPII's theology, But I respect him.
    WallyGator