1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I as a Christian worry about my image?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

The sports editor of our local paper is doing a story about me giving my testimony at a local Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting. He allowed me to preview the story because there were some things in my testimony that I felt were beneficial for the young people at the meeting but would not be beneficial for the public, so I asked him to keep those things out. He told me that he could tell I am very image conscience. That got me to thinking, should we as Christians be image conscience? I mean I should care about what others think about me right? Shouldn't we guard our testimony? I also told him I didn't want the story to sound like I was a superstar because I was just a "solid" player. I just feel it's important to be honest. I mean I played college baseball 3 hours from home, I could have told the paper anything but I didn't want to fabricate the truth. What do you guys think?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The key to greatness is humility. People will remember your message if you are humble but they will remember you if you are not. You can be honest and humble at the same time.

Eccl. 12:9-11, "In addition to being a wise man, the Preacher also taught the people knowledge; and he pondered, searched out and arranged many proverbs. The Preacher sought to find delightful words and to write words of truth correctly. The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd."

Every audience is different. It is always wise to consider the listeners. When Jesus addressed the Sadducees he only used the first five books of the OT but when he addressed the Pharisees he used the OT.

3. amity

amity New Member

Let me guess at what sort of thing is meant in the original post. I will give such a wild example I hope no one will take it literally. ;)

Let's say that my true story included the fact that I had been a drug addict and prostitute and thief. I might tell some, perhaps in order to encourage them out of a similar situation, but would I want the fact published in the local paper? Moreover, would I feel that because I had discussed the facts in front a group that included a reporter that I would want it to be printed for all the world to see?

No.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not sure it's "image" conscious...but Christians should always be conscious of our "reflection."

Image conscious: "I'm concerned about how I look."
    Refection conscious: "I'm concerned about how this reflects on how people see Christ."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs.

Having said that, many of us have heard testimonies from people who...

• emphasized the "BC" of their testimony more than their "AD."
    • Bragged about how big a sinner they were.
    • Overstated their credentials or accomplishments.
    • Seemed bent on impressing their audience.
    • Seemed bent on giving sallacious details best left unsaid.
    I think staying away from that kind of persona is actually a posture of humility, not pride.

5. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I agree rbell.