1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I be skeptical? Or just get it and read it?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Dina, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Dina

Dina New Member

My MIL is reading Purpose Driven Life and enjoying it. She is telling both DH and I that we need to read it.

But, this is a woman who reads books by other pastors that DH and I do not agree with-Haggee, Hagin, Copeland, Meyer, Price, etc.

So based on her history of who she has read in the past, does Warren fall into the same category or is this actually a good book. I know nothing about the author, and the apolgetics index has nothing on him yet either. So....pros and cons please.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read it and make up your own mind! [​IMG]

I like the book's message.

I don't like the multiple versions he uses to push the points he makes.

AND I don't like the color of the pages. [​IMG]

Rob

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Do you have any fuel to add to that fire?

Read it for yourself. Take the good - leave the bad.

4. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Read it. Then you will have an informed opinion to discuss with your MIL and others.

5. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Personally, I was bored with it. But I agree with the others, it's not going to hurt anything to read it.

6. Dina

Dina New Member

I don't want to waste my money or time reading something if when I get to the third or fourth page it is along the lines of other Word of Faith preachers. I have no desire to read things similar to the the other authors that my MIL reads, and if Warren fits into that category is what I am wanting to know.

Anyway, I think I will pass.

I chose instead 3 books to order that I will be reading: Charismatic Chaos by Dr. John F. MacArthur, Counterfeit Revival by Hank Hanegraaff, and A Different Gospel: Biblical and Historical Insights into the Word of Faith Movement by D. R. McConnell

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Warren is not a Word of Faith preacher and the Purpose-Driven Life books do not espouse Word of Faith teachings.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Warren is not a Word of Faith preacher and the Purpose-Driven Life books do not espouse Word of Faith teachings. </font>[/QUOTE]Which demonstrates the error of judging a book while proudly saying one won't read it.

9. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Amen, MP. Like someone said, The Purpose Driven Life does not espouse Word of Faith teachings. I think, however, if you've been a Christian for a considerable length of time and you've been studying your Bible and going to church, what you'll find in the PDL book will probably seem pretty simplistic and elementary to you. It did to me, anyway, and to several other people I've talked to who've read it.

10. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I think this book is sufficiently popular that you would know of someone who could lend you a copy rather than buying one. It is not a difficult book to read and your MIL might enjoy discussing it with you.

Blessings

Followinghim

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always considered PDL as "Christianity 101" for "new" believers. May withdraw that.

My wife and I are reading it very carefully and comparing thoughts paragraph by paragraph. It has a LOT to offer "used" Christians, too.

While I dislike the odd versions and paraphrases of Scripture (sometimes hard to find WHAT God said) if you can get past that, the book will be a blessing.

Try it. You'll like it.

12. Dina

Dina New Member

I discussed with others who already know PDL and why I would be leary of it, and have decided to go ahead and read it. It will be a while as there are about 4-5 books in line ahead of it.

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Dina,

If you are an established believer, I could think of at least 100 books that are more worth your while than PDL.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I read it, I liked it, and I recommend it. I haven't read any of the other material you mil does.

Now, some here have read it and didn't like it, and wouldn't recommend it. That's their right.

Ultimately, decide for yourself.

15. west

west New Member

I read it and I liked it .

16. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

It does'nt take that much time to read and like the man says you can probably borrow a copy from someone you know.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I try never to buy books when they first come out. I wait a few weeks or months and then pick them up off my more well to do friends who are by that time ready to throw them out.

That accomplishes two things. 1) I am never disappointed in spending good money on a book I later find to be unprofitable. And 2) If my friends don't want to throw out a particular book, then it is probably worth the money to go buy it.

Salvation Army and Goodwill are two of my favorite bookstores.