1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should I get Re-Baptized?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

What's the hurry to join this particular church? Is it a requirement that you be a member before you can get married? Is someone putting pressure on you to join this particular church right now?

Regardless of what anyone else has to say, what is your personal conviction, especially, if you have been previously baptised by immersion?

As a teenager, I was sprinkled after accepting Christ. Was given the choice of being sprinkled or immersed. Church was another similar demonination to "Baptist".

Long period of time passed when I didn't go to church.

After we'd been attending my current church for a few weeks, the pastor invited us to join. No pressure. Simply, we'd be glad to have you as members, if you decide you'd like to be a part of our congregation.

After a few months had passed we told our pastor that we would like to become members there. Then several more weeks passed before the Sunday we actually stood before the church for approval of membership via letter. We'd been there long enough that a couple of members quiped afterwards -- "I thought you were already a member".

Now for the rest of the story and the reason for the questions.

Prior to that Sunday, we'd talked to our pastor and told him that we both had been sprinkled. Did we have to be re-baptised in order to become members. His answer was no. If we had a personal conviction that we should be re-baptised he would be honored to hold the service. Don't remember his exact words, but they were something along the line of partaking of communion. If it is done without true conviction, then going through the motions means nothing.

To make a long story short, I was re-baptised by immersion a little over 10 months of first walking into the church we attend today. My pastor allowed the Holy Spirit time to do His work.

Repeat: What's the hurry? What's your conviction?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that seems to be a church by church requirement condition, as my Baptist church accpted my baptism that was done by immersion, after I had believed, in the Assemblies of God church, so we acknowledge as legit immersion belivers baptism done in trinitarian churches that epouse "baptist like " doctrines...

We do has that those infant baptized be rebaptized, as do not see it as being legit...

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It usually comes out in their doctrine of the church - there is no universal church, only the local church. It is often called Landmarkism.

I think there are two versions of the Missionary Baptist movement, you might ask or look at their paper work and see which they are aligned with - if either - then go to the website and snoop around a little.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF you hold a local church viewpoint, probably would only accept baptism done by immersion, by a "like mind" baptist church

If hold to Universal, would accept as valid one done by a church not Baptist, as long as Trinitarian....

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh:

Sounds like her morality is growing by leaps and bounds.:laugh::laugh: Bet her dad just loves you.

This is all about a woman. Dude, do not be unequally yoked. If you had to ask, you don't have a clear conscience about it, and whatever is not of faith is sin. So just break up. There are babes outside the IFB, too.

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I met Bob Jones students during my 2 years there that held to this view. I also was aware of the non evangelism approach of the local IFB churches and this explained it.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I am in a hurry. My conviction is not to get Baptized a second time because I already had it done once. Perhaps I should just sit back and relax a little. Ideally I will persuade Crystal to attend or try out various Conservative SBC and Bible churches in the area whom are not as obsessed with SEPARATION.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THE CHURCH
    1. We believe that the local church, which is the body and the espoused bride of Christ, is solely made up of born-again persons. (1 Cor. 12:12-14; 2 Cor. 11:2; Eph. 1:22-23; 5:25-27)
    2. We believe that the establishment and continuance of local churches is clearly taught and defined in the New Testament Scriptures. (Acts 14:27; 20:17, 28-32; 1 Tim. 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-11)
    3. We believe in the autonomy of the local church free of any external authority or control. (Acts 13:1-4; 15:19-31; 20:28; Rom. 16:1, 4; 1 Cor. 3:9, 16; 5:4-7, 13; 1 Pet. 5:1-4)
    4. We recognize water baptism and the Lord’s Supper as the Scriptural ordinances of obedience for the church in this age. (Matt. 28:19-20; Acts 2:41-42; 18:18; 1 Cor. 11:23-26)

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are very sarcastic, rude , and super opinionated. The goal is BIBLE not tradition. Someone not believing in kissing and hugging before marriage is flat out legalism.

I promise you, yes I promise you that I will OPEN AIR PREACH against all those that preach that kind of gospel. Can any legalist match me?

Watch some of my open air sermons on YouTube. I preach with full conviction and I will preach against legalism. I will openly confront the legalist and laugh as they cry and try and avoid me, or make their so called legal threats which do not hold water because preaching is not against the law.

#49 evangelist6589, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should speak to you privately...but I'm probably biased on these people. Bottom line your gonna do what you want to do....but don't ever compromise your beliefs...I say no, no, no. Besides, your the leader of your home & your seriously comprising that.!

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time will tell...

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

If you have been biblically baptized, then you should not get baptized again. If they say you do, then you should go somewhere else and not compromise. They are asking you to do something unbiblical by being baptized a 2nd time.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Means they don't believe in the universal church. I know where that statement comes from and the first line should read "true church" and not local church. Churches that only believe in the local church change that.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelist, now that we all know you and Crystal rather well, will we be invited to the wedding? :love2:

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No . . . just been around the block a time or two. :type:

and babes. :love2:

Novice. :laugh:

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does that mean? They do not support para church ministries like Living Waters? They do not believe nor support non IFB Churches and ministries? If so thats a smack in the face to many ministries that I support.

http://www.gotquestions.org/landmarkism-Baptist-bride.html

What a insult to the Bible. My goodness.. I am not gonna join this church if they hold to this doctrine. In time Crystal may be persuaded to take a look at some of the SBC Way of the Master friendly churches.

#56 evangelist6589, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Excellent, wise post.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It possible. Thats why many churches have their own (unaccredited) Bible Institute, will not support mission boards (say they are unbiblical) will not work with other churches of like faith and order - let alone be involved in ecumenical projects. Some are dogmatic about separation and some even secondary separation.
    In my many years, I have seen many kinds of Baptists (though I will admit, I probably haven't seen them all) check out my post I made about Heinz 57 variety of Baptists.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob Jones and every BJU church I attended during my 6 years in Greenvile was like that. However they varied in degree of separation and extreme. My last Church (Calvary Baptist) was probably one of the more moderate ones of the IFB Churches in the area. Greenville and that entire region is loaded with IFB Churches and some are so legalistic I got sick.

I remember once attending a church in Rural Retreat Virginia and they had less than 10 people going there. The pastor could not preach worth beans, yet still thought he was a preacher. It was so very sad… I mean they would not even associate or have fellowship with any SBC or other type of Church due to the legalism.

#59 evangelist6589, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  20. mactx

mactx New Member

Are you a member of THE church?The saved sanctified believers that turned their lives over to Christ?
    If so it matters not which steeple you choose to worship under, just be certain the Bible is preached and not the religion.

Remember Ephesians 4 and James 1.
    There is 1 baptism, 1 Faith, no matter how many religions there may be.
    James tells us what true religion is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.