1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I rehearse my conversations to God?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by UnchartedSpirit, Sep 3, 2007.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I have several important roles in my Church, due to the huge lack of membership and leadership. One of the ones I like the elast is passing the collection down every pew. The reason is I have to say a public prayer before that...to bless the church or the offering or something and I can never do it on the spot....it's a really awkward time...so now I'm starting to write down what I'm going to say at the moment before I have to do this....is that something God's OK with?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't see how that's any different from reading a hymn or a responsive reading.

I'd much rather you were comfortable because you had written it down and do the thing (take the leadership role) than not do the thing because you were uncomfortable.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Bitsy's advice is on the mark. By all means, right it down. It's no less from your heart because you put it on paper first.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I firmly believe that God desires us to be comfortable in our relationship with Him - that is, finding it non-stressful to pray to Him and worship Him - whether in public or in private.

I say write it down! Get your thoughts clear on paper and read it with sincerity and joy! :thumbs:

5. UnchartedSpirit

Thanks for the reassurance. Now I just have to see if my Church is alright with the idea...

6. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Just sing a song .

7. UnchartedSpirit

Well, the pianist already has background hymn hmusic going while I and/or some other willing member collects the offering...and we sing doxology afterwards...I'm not accustomed to singing a prayer execpt during other times of worship anyway...

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I believe the book of Psalms is a collection of prayers and hymns that were sung.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I think it is a great idea to rehears prayers. I don't think that all prayers HAVE to be rehearsed but I have recently been shown the idea that a prepared prayer as an element of worship is a good thing.

To me, it shows that you are serious about what you are doing.
    It is too easy to take prayer too lightly.