1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I've been praying about if i should join North Park Baptist (where I was baptized). I can think of three reasons why I shouldn't-

1) I probably will not be there long anyway. The longest would be until next fall.
    2) I would have to agree 100% to all there doctrine and would be expected to continue to be in agreement with their doctrine. I don't like that. I also don't like the idea of being "pinned" to a particular set of beliefs. I prefer to have my own distinct set of beliefs
    3) the only advantage to membership would be being able to vote. Which I, in all honesty, don't really care about at this point.

What do you all think?

UNP, Adam

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you could think of only one reason why you shouldn't, don't join. Yet you state you can think of three. Adam join a church where you can think of no reasons not to join... Only then will you be happy... Brother Glen

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (saying this half-comical, half-seriously)

It's a Baptist church. If you're 100% in agreement with EVERYTHING, then it ain't really a Baptist church!....

On the serious side? There's always going to be something that you won't be 100% in agreement with. By saying that you're looking for the 100%, you're saying that you're looking for the "perfect" church.

Unfortunately, churches are filled with imperfect people....

4. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

FreeFly,
    You are probably right in not joining. The bible points this out to us:

'That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.'-1 Cor 12:25

I know this scripture addresses our relationship with each other as believers, but it would hold true in principle for the local called out assembly of believers you are considering joining. The first hurdle you must jump then....you must ask yourself, "will I be able to add to that church by fullfilling 1 Cor 12:25?"
    If not. No sense joining.
    God Bless you in your search of a church in which to serve!
    -Pastor Bob-

5. preacher

preacher New Member

You say you are praying about it...just wait upon the Lord & He will show you where HE
    wants you.

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Correct preacher- sometimes He does use others to help guide us [​IMG]

Don- I'm not saying that I am looking for the perfect church. I know its not out there. I don't know really how to explain it...

Pastor Bob- I don't know if I understand you correctly but I believe that you are saying I am unable to care for my brothers and sisters in Christ. I hope this is not the case. Considering I am already becoming very involved in the church in classroom and missions activities.

Thank you all for your input.

UNP, Adam

7. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Adam,
    To me it sounds like God is ALREADY leading you to seek another church to call home. When I joined my first Baptist church, I was READY WILLING and ABLE (if you will). I moved and started attending the SAME type of church...doctrine, fellowship, Sunday School, but on a smaller scale, and I can tell you that I didn't realize it at the time, but I DID NOT want to join that church and I know now that it was God's leading. It's not that I didn't agree with the doctrine or that I didn't like the members, it just wasn't where God wanted me. God PLACED me in the church I am in now, I know this 100% for sure! Not only did He want me there, He put me to work and I have discovered they needed me (wow, how awesome that was)!

Anyway...I've rambled enough...but like I said, perhaps God is already tapping on the door of your heart?

Kathy
    <><

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Kathy ]

8. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:....Considering I am already becoming very involved in the church in classroom and missions activities.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FreeFly,
    No, that is not what I was thinking. Actually I was focusing on the word 'schism' which means 'division', so I was referring to the priciple of you being an 'addition' to the church, rather than a 'division' (someone who would be causing problems for the ministry there). Since you say you are very involved, perhaps you already know the answer to your question.

I agree with someone else who posted about not being able to agree 100% with everything, since there is no such thing as a perfect church. If you are able to be an addition to the church and a blessing to the other members, then you may find you need them, and they need you.
    Again, God Bless you as you seek God's will for your life.
    -Pastor Bob-

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Any church that says you must agree 100% with them should throw up giant red flags in your mind that say "Huge cult like capabilities! Possible attempts at mind control ahead!". Ok?
    That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
    da Gina

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone said, "if you find the perfect church, don't join it. It will no longer be perfect."

Church membership is a two-way street. There are blessings/benefits from the church to you and from you to the body.

If you doubt so strongly about this, you have not "found the right fit".

All that said, MANY people do not have the options that large cities offer. They live in small towns with one Gospel-preaching church and must opt for it or drive long distances to an unrelated city.

I think one learns character and cooperation by being part of a body where you do NOT agree on everything. It parallels the work place where people in your office or shop may NOT be the ones you would have chosen to be friends. But God has you there.

As more of America becomes urbanized the "smorgasboord" of churches and "attend where you 'feel' good" attitude will only grow.

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Dr. Bob,

Good post; I couldn't agree more.

12. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Thank you for your input Dr. Bob. Again I know that I will not find a church I agree with 100% and that is not what I was saying in the first place.

After praying about it though I don't think I will join North Park.

UNP, Adam

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:

After praying about it though I don't think I will join North Park.

UNP, Adam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is certainly between God and you. But it does show the differences among Baptist churches. In my SBC church and in those that I know of, to be baptized in it IS to join that church.

Karen

14. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Karen:

That is certainly between God and you. But it does show the differences among Baptist churches. In my SBC church and in those that I know of, to be baptized in it IS to join that church.

Karen
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you must be baptized every time you want to join a church? How is baptism as an entrance into church membership biblical?

UNP, Adam

15. Karen

Karen Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:

So you must be baptized every time you want to join a church? How is baptism as an entrance into church membership biblical?

UNP, Adam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that is not quite what I meant. SBC churches vary but will generally accept the baptism of a church of like faith and order when a person is transferring membership.
    The theology is partly that being baptized is not just an independent action separate from church membership. I wonder if your church considers you a member even if you don't.

Karen

16. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Karen,

GARBC churches believe that there is only one baptism in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. We believe that once a person is baptized once as a believer (even if it is done in a Lutheran or church of somewhat different beliefs) that is the only time they should be baptized.

North Park would not accept me as a member unless if I was baptized as a believer. Those are basically the requirements for membership: Baptized believer, and taking a membership class.

UNP, Adam