1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Kelvin Sampson Be Fired??

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 18, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think IU should not have hired him in the first place. I felt there were better candidates out there. Why oh why oh why do you hire a guy who is under investigation, whose school is about to be put on probation for his misdeeds?

If the investigation proves the allegations are true, is it too late to let it ride til the end of the year? Do you really want to fire him now and have an interim (although Dakich would make a good one) take you through the rest of the season?

In my mind, the answers are "no" and "yes." Fire him now, let Dakich coach til the end of the year. And don't call Bruce Pearl. He isn't interested :)

My only rationale is that Sampson (who at one time was on Tennessee's wish list and had my blessing, which is worth a nickel if you add a dime to it) :) should never have been hired to begin with. There are some great coaches out there. Alford could come home. Calipari has to be frustrated with living life in CUSA. Tubby Smith could come a little further south to stick it to UK once per year. Sean Miller (Xavier) would be the first guy I'd call. He's going to lead a major program to greatness. Why not IU?

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

If he is guilty, they should keep him, they knew what they were getting. I'm sure they had read the newspapers, talked to Ok. and the NCAA. Look at what they paid him, they wanted him greatly, they should keep him until he has honored his deal with them. They make a nice couple.

They were wrong to hire him in the first place. But everybody like him, so let him cheat( if he has been). No body but the players liked Bobby, he cause some bad moments, but he had to go.

4. PastorSBC1303

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

However, if you really think that everyone likes Kelvin and that the only the players liked Bobby Knight, then you obviously know nothing about Indiana Basketball.

There was a lot of people that did not want Kelvin hired in the first place. There have been a lot of people that have not liked him since day one. All you have to do is listen to the home crowd tomorrow night when they play and listen as he walks out on to the court.

A HUGE number of fans are still in love with Bobby Knight. They would welcome him back with open arms. And say what you want about Knight, he had some issues, but he has never once had a violation from the NCAA.

I think Sampson is gone. I think the university is taking the next few days to make sure they have all the evidence they need to fire him and not have any other issues. I expect he will be fired by this weekend and Dakich will be named the interim coach for the rest of the year. Then they will go out and hire a new coach and hopefully put all of this mess behind them.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

My friend, I'm being 100% sarcastic on one hand and on the other I'm being 100% truthful.

Down here in Florida the Gators went from Pell to Hall and ended up with egg on their face. They knew what they were getting with both of them, they had track records. Then they talked Spurrier to leave Duke and clean up the mess the Gators had down here.

If they get rid of the coach they should get rid of the one who hired him. That isn't sarcastic!

6. PastorSBC1303

I completely agree. The AD should be fired as well. Somehow I doubt this happens tho.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'll not toss in my two nickels on whether or not Kelvin Sampson should be fired, for it is far too early to actually know what is in play here. However, were he to be fired, rightly or wrongly, there are certainly enough available coaches, that would be interested in a program of the nature of that of Indiana.

In fact, I can easily think of two or three unemployed (I think) coaches who are available. Let's see - right off the top of my head, there is Jesse Evans, Jay John, John Brady, and a few more, as well.

Wait, I got one they could probably get! A proven winner, and he has taken four different schools to the NCAA tournament, to boot!

Jim Harrick!

OK, he's 68 but he probably still has one more NCAA investigation and probation left in him! ;)

Ed

8. PastorSBC1303

I do not know much about this guy, can ya fill me in?

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

That sure would keep them on the front page.

Ed, you are about as sarcastic as I am, but I should have known, my wife is from Ky. and she is very sarcastic at times, but look at who she married.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think IU should fire him and cut their losses. Let him go teach typewriter maintenance at the Rocko Globbo School for Women.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Sean Miller is 38 and has led XU to back-to-back 20-win season and NCAA Tournament appearances (nearly upsetting OSU and Thad Matta, Miller's mentor). He has a career mark of 63-32 (.663) and won either the 2007 Atlantic 10 Regular Season title and the 2006 A-10 Tournament Championship. He's been on staff at great programs at Xavier, Wisconsin, and Pitt. He knows how to win and will win. XU is a breeder for great coaches. Pete Gillen, Thad Matta, and the late Skip Prosser are all former XU coaches. This year, Xavier is ranked 12th in the nation with 20+ wins already. They played Tennessee tough before losing in December and upset IU (sorry) by 15 points earlier this year. (Incidentally, I grew up just a few blocks from Xavier).

12. PastorSBC1303

Thanks for the info Tom. He sounds like he will be a good one.

Well today is decision day in IU land. Lots of reports and rumors flying around. Should be interesting to see how it all comes down.

13. Gayla

Gayla New Member

I saw on Fox News this morning "Indiana axes Sampson."
    They said he had multiple recruiting violations.

14. PastorSBC1303

Gayla, lots of rumors and reports flying around. Nothing has been done officially yet.

15. Gayla

Gayla New Member

OK.

Wasn't Sampson under some kind of NCAA investigation in Oklahoma?

16. PastorSBC1303

Yes he had some infractions at OU.

Reports are saying now that Sampson has been suspended for the remainder of the year.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Andy Katz is reporting it's over and Sampson is out with Dakich as interim.

18. PastorSBC1303

Yep, he is done.

Should be interesting to see who the new coach is.

The Indianapolis Star has a forum asking people to post who should be the next coach. Of course Bobby Knight is mentioned over and over and over.

Some of the other names:

Sean Miller
    Bruce Pearl
    Tony Bennett
    Dan Dakich
    Steve Alford
    Dane Fife
    Homer Drew
    Thad Matta
    Tom Crean
    Mark Few

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

With Dan Dakich named as the interim head coach (and Ray McCallum named the interim associate head coach), it is hard for me to see him not getting the job, if he and Indiana do well for the rest of the season. I know nothing about him, personally, but if he is not being considered, it sure would seem strange. The one thing that could upset this applecart, is if he winds up getting tied in with Kelvin Sampson in some 'illegal activity', IMO.

Rest assured it won't be a second coming of an already 68 year old Bobby Knight, again IMO.

Ed

#19 EdSutton, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  20. PastorSBC1303

There is a lot of support for Dakich. He is part of the IU family and has a good relationship with Coach Knight. He was a head coach at Bowling Green for several years and had a good record. He knows the state and has a good relationship with the high school coaches and programs. The only down side I have read about him is that some are concerned that he never took Bowling Green to the Tournament during his coaching time.

Of course some still remember him best for his famous defensive preformance in shutting down Michael Jordan in the NCAA Tournament in the early 80s.

I do not think he is linked in with the illegal activity in any way. I think the reason he was brought in was because he had the seal of approval from the IU family and that helped them with Sampson.

#20 PastorSBC1303, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008