1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should men wear pants only?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Jul 6, 2003.

1. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Isn't it ironic that the person with the most extreme view on this is a female? [​IMG] Don't blame us boys for everything, we get in enough trouble as it is.

And the standard for the men should be the same as it is for the women, modesty.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Isn't that a bit of a leap? Is it good for women to touch men? Aren't women enticed by what they see? Women are just a bit less blatant in their reactions. More deceitful, you might say. But both have the same thoughts and problems in the flesh.
    Now if all the women jump in and disagree I'm gonna be really [​IMG]
    Gina

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It does ruffle my feathers when it is 100 degrees out and I see a woman wearing a dress from her neck to her ankles with sleeves down to her wrists walking with her husband who has on a short sleeved shirt and Bermuda shorts! :confused:

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

no, they don't. in general men have a much more powerful,
    and visually stimulated sex drive than women do. and while both sexes should be modest, the bible repeatedly tells women, not men, to dress modestly. have you discovered a flaw in our bibles?

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

It does ruffle my feathers when it is 100 degrees out and I see a woman wearing a dress from her neck to her ankles with sleeves down to her wrists walking with her husband who has on a short sleeved shirt and Bermuda shorts! :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]do you instantly feel lust burning in you from the sight? do you find it difficult to turn your eyes away? do you find yourself thinking about him later, about the bare flesh, the outline of his exposed body, and what you'd like to do to him?

or is this more about "he dresses that way, and i'm just as good as he is, so i should be able to as well" ?

--

i'm not saying women can't lust, but that it's a much bigger problem for men.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Jesus didn't wear pants. They hadn't been invented yet. If anyone is going to insist women wear what people in the bible wore, then men should too. Pants are a modern invention, and are cultural, not all cultures of people wear pants at all even today.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about fragrances?

Many fragrances which men wear I could not because they offend my sensibility of smelling “feminine” (OK, so I’m a feminophobe).

Shouldn’t men smell like men?

The only Scripture I can think in support of men and fragrances is when Jesus was anointed by Mary Magdalene.

We have no way of knowing however what the fragrance smelled like.

What do others think? Ladies what do you think of a man who smells like a flower?

HankD

8. MaryKay

MaryKay New Member

Gina, You tell it!!! I almost said (preach it) but let's not go there. [​IMG] [​IMG] MK

9. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Gina,
    I think all men know that they are turned on by what they see. And most women know that they are too. That is why they spend hours fixing their makeup and hair.
    I know women can lust by what they see too, but in 1 Cor 7 it talks about a man not touching any woman that is not his wife. That is what men are told to do from the Word. I truly believe it is because that is how a woman responds.

10. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Interesting Topic.

From what I understand, the idea of modesty means whatever does not attract attention to you in either being too showy or too dowdy or too sexual or too materialistic.

In choosing my own wardrobe, as a man I do my best to dress so that people will instantly recognize me as a Godly man...and, again, it matters on your environment.

Let me explain this idea by taking my hometown of Denmark as an example.

1. Wearing flip/flops draws attention to you in my area, especially if you are man. So I don't wear them.

2. Wearing pink shirts draws attention to you and makes people see you as gay/homosexual. I actually love the color pink, but--in order to not discredit my witness--I refrain from wearing them.

3. Wearing tank tops shows a reputation of being "thuggish" around my neighborhood, so I refrain from wearing any armless shirts unless I wear something to cover my arms.

4. Wearing football jerseys draws attention to you. Wearing basketball jerseys shows off too much flesh and draws attention to you, so I refrain.

5. Wearing sneakers is okay, but--in this regard--I would "follow the leaders". My deacons and pastors wear conservative solid colored/stripped sneakes or semi-dress, tie-up shoes. I follow suit because wearing that kind of stuff makes you quite safe from drawing attention to yourself.

6. I don't think we touched on jewelry, yet. Gold chains are OK if they are tiny, not too showy, and hidden. A wedding ring, only is non-distracting. A unexpenisive looking watch is non-distracting. As contradictory as this sounds, bracelets are okay on men as long as it is a man's bracelet. Earrings are a no-no because they are too showy and are associated with feminine apparel. This goes for nose, lip, navel rings, too.

7. Wearing polo shirts, colored shirts, and T-shirts are okay as long as you are making sure that you aren't trying to show off or make a fashion statement.

8. Wearing slacks or regular cut jeans (Levis 501s and 505s) is the trend and standard to go by in my area. Baggy pants are out because they make you look like a thug and would compromise your witness. Tight-fitting pants are out because they make people see you as gay, feminine, or sexual. Unfortunately, people are so conditioned with baggy pants that when a man wears a pair of regular fitted jeans (like Levis 501s and 505s), people think they are too tight.

9. An last but not least, let me mention hairstyles. Dreadlocks and long hair are a no-no because they draw too much attention to you. A nice short hair cut that looks like Colin Powell's or Clarence Thomas' head is the safest bet.

I think some of the above standards are a little too rule-based...however, as a Christian, I believe that I must dress modesty.

Again, modesty depends on your environment. Even if I don't go along with all of above things. I still must do my best not to compromise my witness.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Have you discovered something hidden? Please post every instance in the bible where it addresses women only and tells them how to dress.
    I haven't seen it "over and over".
    When you're done I'll point out the ones where men are addressed.
    Gina

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And yet another nail being hit on the head!!!

I wear pants because it's the societal norm for men. If the norms change to, say, kilts, sarongs, or wraps, I will change with them.

Knickers are pants, but, unless you're a baseball player, are hardly masculine, and I do not therefore wear them. But, if they came back in style as appropriate men's clothing tomorrow, I'd probably pick up a few pair.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

...in general men have a much more powerful,
    and visually stimulated sex drive than women do. and while both sexes should be modest, the bible repeatedly tells women, not men, to dress modestly...

:confused: Sorry, but I've seen lots of men dress immodestly, and I doubt this can be construed as biblically appropriate.

As for me, I'd NEVER hold a woman be responsible for my male sex drive, especially since the Bible tells me that I'm responsible for my own actions. If I did that, I'd be guilty of passing the buck, like Adam did when he ate the fruit and blamed it on someone else.

[ July 07, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

14. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

gina,

directly stated:

1 Timothy 2:9
    9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Titus 2:5
    5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

through negative example:

Proverbs 7:10-13

10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart. 11 (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house: 12 Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.) 13 So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,

2 Samuel 11
    2 And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king’s house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. 3 And David sent and enquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? 4 And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house.

15. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

me neither!

consider:

Proverbs 23
    27 For a whore is a deep ditch; and a strange woman is a narrow pit. 28 She also lieth in wait as for a prey, and increaseth the transgressors among men.

Leviticus 19
    14 Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I am the LORD.
    29 Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a whore; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness.

and finally

Matthew 18
    7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

1Cor 8
    13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

if this is true of things that are not sinful, how much more of things that are?

---

it shouldn't be necessary to add that, of course, the man is guilty of his sin in these matters - but that does not excuse those women that help and encourage him in his sin, and thereby sin themselves.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It depends. I don't equate to a woman with a bear midriff as necessarily being immodest. Someone else might. Same with spaghetti straps. Some may not find them appropriate, others might. I don't allow my daughters to wear them spaghetti straps, but I allow them to wear tanks or sleaveless tops. However, that's my own rule, and by no means does it mean that every girm who wears a spaghetti strap is being immodest.

Still, the best rule is for me to avoid a stumbling situation, rather than make everyone else avoid me. Of course, I'm somewhat different. I've always asserted that a Godly man should be able to carry on a conversation with a nude woman and be responsible enough to cast his eyes to her face, rather than elsewhere.

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

You missed my point entirely. :confused:

What this is about is women not having to smother in 100 degree weather when men can wear clothes that are cooler.

18. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

gina,

another negative example (that doesn't specifically mention clothing):

Matthew 14
    6 But when Herod’s birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. 7 Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. 8 And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist’s head in a charger.

19. showard93

showard93 New Member

Okay here is my opinion. I think men should dress modest. To me modest would be pants and a shirt on also no clingy material and no pants that show your underwear.

I Do not wear pants and my mom does but she said that america changed for the worse when women started wearing pants. I have seen women in pants/jeans etc... that looked like a man.

Another thing is how do we determine men from women??? By there clothes....look ot the picture on most public restrooms the man is in pants and the woman is in a dress...I wonder why??? :eek:

20. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

You missed my point entirely. :confused:

What this is about is women not having to smother in 100 degree weather when men can wear clothes that are cooler.
    </font>[/QUOTE]in general, if a man can wear less clothing without inspiring lust, why not? personally i always wear loose pants and a loose shirt that covers my entire torso and my arms down to at least the elbow, but i'd be very hard pressed to prove such a neccessity in terms of sexual modesty. the main reason i do so is to make it a little easier for the women in my family to dress like they should. i think any good christian man should modify his wardrobe to help others from sinning, going beyond what is required for sexual modesty.