1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SHOULD Modern versions "retranslate" Theological Terms?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Jun 16, 2011.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Perhaps you, with your superior concept of theology, could point me, in my ignorance, to passages of Shakespeare that would help where my theology is lacking? I would also appreciate it if you could point out where the inferior sources of my own study where lacking.

I appreciate your admiration of Shakespeare and the KJV English and I generally share it, but that does not make it magical and give it some kind of power. Maybe everyone should still speak that language, but they do not and we should not have to educate people in 'proper' English before we teach them God's word.

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
  2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You're comparing apples to pine cones.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inordinate affection means lust, so it is covered.

4. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Well, as with most things in these BB discussions, I never said what you are saying that I said. I did not say I had a superior concept of theology nor did I say that you were ignorant. Theology is a man-made discipline. As our study of all things man-made improves, so will our study of theology.

Now this would be different if we were discussing spirituality, matters of the soul. But we are not. We are discussion man's understanding of God. An understanding that has it limits with man-made words, phrases, and concepts. To really advance our understanding of God, we must move beyond and into another realm--the realm of prayer and praise.

And that is all for now, and probably for a long time on this board. So congratulations, Mr. Moderator, you with your sarcasm, you have succeeded in running off another forum member. But, if God tells me to come back, then I will be back.

...Bob

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Since I was guilty publicly I will apologise publicly. You are correct, on rereading your post and mind I see my error. I am sorry. I have battled sarcasm a good part of my life and still struggle with it at times.

To address the post properly, I still fail to see how a study of Shakespeare is going improve my concept of theology, especially since I am a big fan of Shakespeare and pretty familiar with his works. However, I do not see him as a theological source. I do use him in illustrations quite often, he did understand human nature. He is a part of a well rounded education - but I don't think it is based on his use of antiquated English.

#25 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011