1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should pastors not preach topically?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Feb 15, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listening to a sermon by Mac today and he was saying something to the effect that modern pastors do not dive into theology but focus too much on topical sermons and preaching on life issues such as

Success
    Failure
    Rejection
    Anxiety
    Worry
    Bitterness
    Conflict
    Control
    Dating
    Hypocrisy
    Idolatry
    Injustice
    Persecution
    Regret
    etc..

I know that Mac does not do much preaching/writing on these type of topics and one reason why he is not exactly a great application oriented preacher. Charles Stanley, Erwin Lutzer, Jeremiah, and many others seem to do a better job on these kinds of topics in my POV. I do agree with Mac that compared to the Puritans (a comparison he made) modern theology is very weak and very lacking in doctrine and deep Biblical Studies no question about it. However not sure why he believed preaching topically has no place. Perhaps I misunderstood him, but I agree there needs to be balance. Sometimes is good to preach topically, and other times its not.

What do you say? If you say that there is no need to preach on life issues then I have to wonder why? Is God not a PERSONABLE God?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Topical does not automatically mean sermons on that list or that they are not doctrinal in nature.

This is another one of those issues that gets misrepresented like sinner prayer and invitations.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I preach topically. Ironically, I recently heard a pastor give a wonderful topical sermon on why we should preach expositionally.

What is truly ironic is that given the nature of the proclamation in the New Testament era, neither topical nor expositional would have been preferred (or widely in use.) :)

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would preaching on sin and repentance be a topical sermon?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if you are going to preach expositionally then you can never ever ever ever ever under any circumstances leave one single passage of scripture. If you do, if your do, then you are no longer preaching from the bible but simply preaching about the bible.

And if you believe that fairy tale I have another one for you. :tongue3:

Oh wait, is sarcasm a sin? I forget.:tear:

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The holy grail of exposisitory preaching only is such nonsense. My preaching advise (for what it is worth): Be faithful to Jesus, don't avoid the hard stuff, don't make stuff up, give the people a real life take away.