1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the Baptist Board...?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NoQuieroUnQueso, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider perhaps shutting down the Calvinism/Arminianism debate forum?

I'm asking this question exclusively to the Baptists still on this site.

When I first came to this website, I saw it as a place to meet and discuss the Bible with conservative, like-minded Christians who believed in Salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. That was a long time ago, but especially recently it seems that BaptistBoard has gotten a bit overrun by people who just want to argue about Calvinism and Arminianism all day long.

They bicker, they argue, and no matter how long their posts get it never leads anywhere. I feel like it's causing the website to become a toxic environment, where it's getting harder and harder to find a discussion that isn't about Calvinism or Arminianism. I feel like in doing so, this website is straying away from its original purpose. If someone wants to create a separate website to fight about those things, then maybe that would be better than cluttering the BaptistBoard with endless posts that I feel just don't get anywhere.

This is just a thought I had to try and simmer down all the tension that's built up as of late. I feel like the BaptistBoard just isn't Baptist anymore, and I might start looking for something else if something doesn't change. I'd love to hear your thoughts, though. Thank you all and God Bless!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just indicted the Baptist Board in general. Do you think hard-hitting debate and divisive comments are limited to just Calvinism vs. Arminianism? With all of 85 posts under your belt, you are a relative novice. Stick around for a while and read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm well aware that heated debates aren't just limited to Calvinism vs. Arminianism. It can get very heated on other posts. But most other posts, even the ones that are just meant to be divisive, usually cover various topics. It isn't just one subject. And I feel that the subject of Calvinism and Arminianism has taken up a majority of the website as of late. If you look at the featured posts, and go through a couple of pages, most of them are about Calvinism vs. Arminianism.

I was just wondering if measures should be taken to prevent the website from getting too boggled up with one divisive subject.

4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C&A is limited to one forum. Just one. If it is not for you, just tune it out. There are many C&A threads that I do not participate in. Why do you not just do the same?

#4 Reformed, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time for a Lordship Salvation versus Free Grace thread? Or should we start one on alcohol?

We've certainly had some divisive topics. But I see OP's point, in that these other topics don't generally bleed over into other discussions like the CvA divide does. Except maybe inerrancy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to say that on a strictly emotional/feeling level, I agree with your sentiments. But, like you I'm sure, I'm torn as to whether such a drastic measure is warranted.

Thank you for an interesting, thought provoking post! It is a subject that is well worth pondering and meditating on.

7. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a strictly thinking/intellectual level, your thoughts are quite logical and rational.

Thank you for giving me "food for thought," so to speak.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Calvinism/Arminianism forum was closed for quite a while in the past for the very reasons you’ve mentioned.

The discussions still happened; the threads infected other forums.

So the solution was to re-open the forum in order to limit the infection to a single forum.

The problem is not the BaptistBoard, the problem is within the Christians brothers and sisters who 1) are narrow minded and cannot see beyond their own brand of theology, 2) have a competitive faith and want to win at all costs, and 3) are immature.

Once in a while the threads present an idea that makes a person think deeper about their own faith, this is worthwhile. There are some worthwhile discussion and people worth listening to, contributors that can present a strong argument in a humble manner.

But generally the threads start and end with an, “I’m right and you’re wrong” tone,
    And it’s time to burn you at the stake.

Rob

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my problem. I am an infection. Thank you, Deacon. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What can I say, I’m a medical guy!

You, among a few others, are a reasoned thinker that I enjoy reading, even if I disagree with you occasionally.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to say it: I wasn't sure if that was a genuine, sincere, heartfelt admission of fault, or whether that was another example of sarcasm. ;)

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Calvinism/Arminianism debate is, I think an important issue to all Christians, not just New Testament Christians (Baptist view point).

I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian (Free Will Baptist which I love). On the Calvinist TULIP, I hold to the T and the P. And my view on U is very similar. So my leaning is Calvinist.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems the reason the Arminian/Calvinist debate leaks over to other forum's is because the issue of salvation (soteriology) determines how a person views other attributes of Christian life.
    For example: The idea of holiness and holy living gets its practical legs from the means of salvation and how salvation is maintained. So if a discussion on holiness takes place in a different forum, eventually people will dig down to the core. At the bedrock of holiness is the means by which a person is saved.
    The fact that there is a forum just for Calvinist/Arminian debate helps funnel much of the discussion, but there will always be subjects where other issues are juxtaposed in the way a person views the subject. It is therefore unavoidable to keep the ideas of salvation contained to one forum. It cannot be done and still have full bodied discussion in other forums. There is too much overlap.

• Like Like x 2
  14. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t spend huge amounts of time on the C&A forum. When I do, it is targeted.

More often the B&T threads wander into the soteriology in which some think it is a chance to express a C or A view. That is fine as long as the thread isn’t derailed.

However, the C&A forum is good.

Prior to reactivating it, it seemed every thread became dislodged.

Perhaps the length of the threads in the C&A forum should be cut in half.

With shorter threads, less time for heat buildup may result in more learning.

Also, for my benefit, cut the length of words a post may contain.

There should be a medal given for anyone actually reading my lengthy posts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I enjoy reading, but really, who comes to a discussion forum for essay length posts. Granted, this is just my opinion, but I feel that a conversational tone/pace is more likely to be read than a wall of text.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the LS v FG threads were so interesting to me in a large part because the "teams" didn’t divide right down the C/A line. Which made me more apt to read the threads in their entirety, instead of skipping through looking for new material.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This isn't a new development. I've been on this board a long time. It has always been this way. Best you can do is avoid threads that bother you and leave them to others whos conscience is different from your own.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I lost my focus after "is targeted."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a fair assessment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the exception of a few, the bickering is done with the right spirit. It is an intellectual debate that does not necessitate disfellowship. There are a few who take it way too personal and way too far, but most dont.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.