1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus visit your church?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by SaggyWoman, Apr 1, 2005.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Your thoughts please?

2. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Only if they bring goodies. [​IMG]

Joking aside, though, I believe that the church should only be used to preach and spread the gospel, and a place for the saints to gather in one mind and one accord for prayer and fellowship. Of course, a little fried chicken every now and then does not take away from this function.

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Just leave the eggs, chocolate, and presents outside. Ring the church doorbell and someone will come out and git them! Friends, must I say it Again? What is the church? A building? The body of Christ? If it's appropriate for the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus to visit our homes, why not church? Just asking!

4. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

Certainly. Yes. They need Jesus too.

5. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

The Easter Bunny or Santa may offend one of the weaker brothers. In that case, I would have to eat all their goodies. That is the reason we have to restrict this practice it to our homes and the shopping mall, only. That was pretty spiritual on my part, wasn't it? [​IMG]

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I am with Frank. But they could leave their costumes at home. Other than that they are welcome in my church. they need Jesus too.

In HIS service;
    Jim

7. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Personally, I have never seen an Easter Bunny or Santa in a Baptist church. I haven't visited every Baptist church by any means. A friend of mine was a Santa for the PreSchool (Kindergarten) at his Methodist church. The school would have an annual Christmas party, and he would show up as Santa. The party was in the fellowship hall, but still a part of the church.

8. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

No doubt where I come down on this one....I've never believed in telling children about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, even at home. Mine found out about them when they started watching TV and going to school.

Even now, everyone in the family knows not to let the grandkids discuss Santa Claus with me unless they're ready for the child to know the truth.

9. Karen

Karen Active Member

Depends. Last Saturday, 450 kids and parents came to my church for an Easter egg hunt. They watched a Bible video, got eggs that had Bible verses as well as candy, and the pastor explained the Gospel. An adult man thanked him afterwards and said he had never understood what the Gospel was about before. MANY of the ones that came do not go to church. They will be visited and invited.

Karen

10. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Heck! For all that, I would have gone, too. Unless it was before 1:00 PM on a Saturday.

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sure, happened all the time in the church that I grew up in, it exemplifies the Christain tenant of giving unselfishly.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, Santa Claus, if that's a binary question.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I played Santa before!!! No joke!!! A deacon in my church and his brother owned a "Brother/Brother" grocery store in the little town we lived in---and he asked me to dress up---come to the store for the day and greet customers!! He paid me $75 "Smackers" and a Honey baked ham!!!!

But Santa and Mr. Bunny at church for some "worldly" program---nope!!! I can't handle that!!!(Am I two faced or what???)

14. Pistos

Pistos New Member

Visit? Certainly, they may sit the front seats and listen to the preaching of the Word of God. [​IMG]

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Pistos--certainly---but I doubt if I could keep a straight face!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Pistos

Pistos New Member

@Blackbird just don't wear any Rudolf's nose. [​IMG]

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy.

HankD

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Naw. Can't let them Disney characters into a good Baptist church. But how about Yosemite Sam, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi and Boo Boo?

But not the Tasmanian Devil. :eek: :eek:

Marvin the Martian would be an interesting character on the front pew, eh wot?

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]...as long at it is entertaining. After all, we certainly don't want to present Christ because that would be as dull as... [​IMG]

20. Pistos

Pistos New Member

at least we have some laughs in this thread [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ouch my stomach ache!... [​IMG]