1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the US Ban the Flag in the Classroom?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jan 16, 2011.

1. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

To a Christian, it should not matter. We are living epistles, not political beings.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree with this sentiment. I don't know why it should matter to Christians whether or not the flag is flown in government classrooms.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals make a great show of being loyal to the kingdom of heaven as a mask for their hatred for America.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say many reasons.
    Let me start with respect - respect for this great country we live in. I realize we are not perfect - but we have made great strives toward improving our way of life. (yes, I will admit that we have went back wards in some areas as well)

As I mention before we are not pledging to a piece of cloth, we are pledging our allegiance to our great nation which is symbolized by the Flag.

One great failure we currently have is a lack of responsibility and respect. We were taught at an early age never to let a Flag touch the ground. To this day- when I see a flag laying on the ground - I pick it up - out of respect not only for my country, but for those men who have selflessly shed their blood for freedom.

Have you ever listen to Red Skeletons explanation of the Pledge of Allegiance?
    This is four minutes - but worth every second of it.
    (and yes, I did need a tissue at the end:tear:)

Salty

PS - I would like to emphasis that citizens of other countires should be just as proud of their counties as I am of the USA. :1_grouphug:

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is a mindless, inflammatory statement. I do not hate the United States (not "America"...Mexicans and Colombians are Americans, too), but I'm of the conviction that it's not appropriate to pledge my allegiance to an earthly Kingdom.

You can disagree - that's fine - but please don't pull the "liberal" card or assume I'm saying something I'm not. That's just not necessary.

You know what assuming does, don't you?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which United States are you referring to?
    Check it out

Code:
    it's not appropriate to pledge
     my allegiance to an earthly Kingdom.

Why not? Does the Bible prohibit it?

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Fair point. USA then.

We are called to be slaves to righteousness and to live in service to Christ's Kingdom. Giving "Caesar what is Caesar's" is not a command to pledge allegiance.

Again, I'm not condemning anyone. This is just my personal conviction at this time.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you said: "it's not appropriate to pledge" I agree it is not a command - but on the other hand you cannot say it is not appropriate, as the Bible does not prohibit it.
    IMHO it is simply a matter of preference - from a spiritual point of view.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It is not appropriate for me, since it would be violating my conscience. As for other people, it is up to the individual to follow their conscience.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The Bible does not prohibit loyality to a earthly country----the Apostle Paul pleaded his "constitutional rights" on the basis of him being a Roman citizen

I am given the right governed by the constitition of the United States---to SAY a pledge or NOT to say a pledge---I've been given that right by the founders of the United States of America---the minute I am told I CANNOT pledge OR that I MUST pledge---the country ceases to be a democracy ruled by the republic---and we're no better off than when King George ruled by his thumb

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Does invoking rights as a citizen necessitate loyalty or allegiance?

I'm not sure that it does.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's not. It's true.

I didn't say you did. I said liberals do. Consciously liberal or not, your unscriptural sentiments are right out of their playbook.

Another liberal sentiment! Spare us the political doublespeak. Anyone who says America means the states. Otherwise it's either North, South or Central, or simply the Americas. We aren't talking about illegal immigrants here. (Well, YOU might be, admittedly disloyal as you are.)

Whatever. America isn't a kingdom or an empire. It is a nation of kings and priests.

If you don't want to be judged a liberal, quit belching their subterfuge.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a citizen does.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

What do you mean? Do you think all of the U.S. citizens are Christians?

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I cannot agree with that. Peter writes in 1 Peter 2.9:
    But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, his own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvellous light.
    Whether we take 1 Peter 1.1 as meaning that he was addressing only Jewish Christians, or Gentile Christians too, it is clear that he was not addressing a whole earthly nation in his letter.

Then, in Revelation 5.9-10, we see that Christ redeems, not whole earthly nations, but people out of every nation:
    And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth."
    Perhaps I have misunderstood you. If so, could you explain what you meant by saying that America is a nation of kings and priests? Thanks!

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A nation of kings and priests means just that. Each individual is his own king and his own priest.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

So although your phraseology was biblical, you were not using it to mean what the bible means in passages such as 1 Peter 2.9? (I'm asking, not telling you :) ).

It seems you are saying that every individual in the USA, whether or not that individual knows the Lord Jesus Christ as his or her Saviour, is a king and priest. If that is what you are saying, can you back it up with scripture? If you didn't mean that, could you explain what you did mean?

Thanks.

18. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

If they ban the flag or burn it, I do not care. Jesus is Lord, not the constitution, or the flag, or what we think it represents. The flag is not my salvation. I have ony one right, to be like Him.

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's not doublespeak. It's just something to think about. Making sure to use specific language that does not exclude is not liberal. I'm not making up new meanings of anything.

Man, check your attitude. I will be respectful of you and I ask you to do the same.

Your opinion and your interpretation is not the standard that all should live by. Allow others the privilege of following their own conscience. I can't believe you would have the audacity or arrogance to call me unscriptural. I don't share your viewpoint, but I'm not going to throw those kind of remarks around.

And America is an earthly kingdom. We serve a higher throne.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm not saying everyone is a Christian. I'm saying every American citizen is (supposed to be) his own sovereign under God and may govern his own worship. We call it liberty.