1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the world's entertainment be the Christians entertainment?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by M Wickens, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I don't live in England, but Brother Wickens does live there. If you're refering to the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, it is located in the Alps on the Franco-Swiss border. The Duchy's history has been recorded by L. Wibberly in his "Mouse that..." series.

[ September 08, 2002, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: The Squire ]

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are some other scriptural criteria for entertainment to be "the world's entertainment" besides lewdness?

A case could be made for spectator sports such as baseball, football or soccer as being "of this world".

These sports have come down from the gladiator sports of the Roman Empire in which the goal of participants was to kill, maim or injure each other. While killing is not a goal in today's society, the language of these sports is violent. "The Yankees destroy the Red Sox", etc. and these events (death, maiming and injury still occur, especially in football or soccer).

Spectator participation. When we go to the ball park we enter into a kind of fellowship with the other like minded spectators (yeah team!).
    As the game progresses so does the loss of self-control and the group becomes the proverbial "screaming banshees" many of who are in-the-bag, some occasionally shouting obscenities. While we ourselves wouldn't do such things (I hope), we have identified with those who do.

What do you think?

And if so, do we put our stamp of approval on this form of entertainment when we view it on the television?

So, my point again is, what are some of the other scriptural criteria of "the world's entertainment"?

What is the whole counsel of God?

HankD

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW and to be honest, having been born in Boston, I was a Red Sox fan, but no more.

Not so much because of a spiritual conviction but because I grew weary of having my penant hopes raised high only to be dashed year after year after year after...

HankD

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I know, I was just joking.

Kind of reminds me of way Old order Amish refer to all non-Amish as "English".

Mike

Mike

[ September 08, 2002, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Kind of reminds me of one of my favorite Steve Goodman songs (loosely paraphrased)

Do they still play the blues up in Boston
    When baseball season rolls around
    When the snow melts away
    Do the BoSox still play
    In their concrete covered burial ground
    When I was a boy
    They were my pride and joy
    But now they only bring fatigue
    To the home of the brave
    The land of the free
    And the doormats of the American league

6. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, I would have never put you there Squire.

Yep, an Amish lad that got saved said that when he was Amish he had money and now that he is English he is broke. I said, welcome to England!

7. M Wickens

M Wickens New Member

For me this is where "the rubber meets the road." Where do we draw the line. if we know for certain that we will see and hear things that do not glorify God then should we go? Yes, it could mean we have to "sacrifice" something, but could it be our resistance to that kind of life style that limits God in our times?

Going to a supermarket will expose us to the sin in this world but 1. We have to get food, 2. It would be similar to Paul's views in his time, 3. we have not paid to be there.

My position is this. If I know a film will have any cursing then it must be wrong for the Christian. Those who know me will no doubt give examples of times I have not followed my own convictions in times gone by. Yet, I just can't hear the Saviour's name used in vain and accept it. The Lord will not hold him guiltless. Am I not giving approval to something by paying to watch it?

Where is the line to be drawn? Very difficult to say. Where does legalism begin? Again, difficult to say. But in other areas it should be clear cut. If the Bible says, "thou shalt not" then we should not do it ourselves not take pleasure in others doing it.

Too legalistic perhaps?

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear M,

I agree, its a matter of individual conscience.

"that which is not of faith is sin".

BTW, sometimes my posts are tongue-in-cheek, usually its obvious. I thorougly enjoy certain sports. Even boxing, the manly art of self defense [​IMG]

Many many years ago as a lad in East Boston my mother entered my grade school picture in a local "handsom boy contest" (I believe it was sponsored by Wonder Bread). I had the bad luck of winning first place which also won me no small amount of ridicule and periodic beatings from my school mates who wouldn't let me forget.
    Over the months with some help from older relatives I became skilled at fisticuffs.
    I then became the terror of my school and wreacked havoc on my victimizers.
    To this day, I love to watch boxing events.
    My wife is disgusted with my barbaric pastime.
    When I told her about the contest she wasn't impressed.
    But my conscience is clear.
    [​IMG]

HankD

9. M Wickens

M Wickens New Member

Mr HankD,

I can relate to the teasing. Those who aren't as handsome as some of us don't always understand and so beat us. [​IMG]

I too went from being teased in school, for a different reason to yours, to being one of the school bullys. People teased me so I would beat them up. The problem came when I found I was good at it...

I have gone a little off topic I realise. [​IMG]

Martin

10. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Being personally familiar with M. Wickens, I can tell you that his face bears testimony to the fact that he received more beatings than he actually meted out! [​IMG]

On a more serious note, I used to attend local semi professional and international football (soccer) games. When I got married I was going to a game and my new wife suggested coming along. I was horrified at the thought of her standing next to some foul mouthed yob, and so I discouraged her. Later, at the game, sure enough one of the spectators nearby let rip with a mouthful of expletives. I thought to myself "I'm glad my wife didn't come to hear that!" Instantly, the Spirit of God spoke to me and convicted me saying "You wouldn't bring your wife, but you brought Me!"

11. SBG

SBG New Member

Amen or ouch!!!!!!

Goodun Moore!

12. M Wickens

M Wickens New Member

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poor baby [​IMG]