1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should There Be ......

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by wpe3bql, Nov 14, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

...... an independent, autonomous, self-governing, sovereign nation of Kurdistan?

Basically, there is this [Quoting here from Wikipedia's entry "Kurdistan" { https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdistan } ".... roughly defined geo-cultural region wherein the Kurdish people form a prominent majority population, and Kurdish culture, language, and national identity have historically been based."

"Greater Kurdistan" encompasses a huge area of SE Turkey, parts of NE Syria (with a relatively small area in northern Syria), most all of northern Iraq, and the mountainous are of NW Iran. In all, this region is from 74,000 to 151,000 square miles (The variations presumably vary due to there being different ways of counting/interpreting its geographic area.). According to the CIA Factbook, 2014 estimates place Kurdistan's population to be 28,000,000.

Recent reports state that Kurdistani military/militias have played a key role in regaining lands once held by ISIS forces.

The United States has been assisting these Kurdistani forces with both military advisors on the ground and drone-based air strikes that have been guided by American military personnel and equipment (AWACS) not only in aerial proximity, but possibly hundreds or thousands of miles away.

A somewhat similar situation in which the US was heavily involved would have been the breaking up of the lands of the Balkan Peninsula in the 1990's that previously were subdivisions of the communist land of Yugoslavia,

World, and especially US foreign policy "wonks," opinion(s) have positions on what to do with Kurdistan that range anywhere from massive intervention to support the Kurds in their desire for complete autonomy from the four nations wherein these Kurds call home to that of an isolationist stance that notes that the US Constitution nowhere specifically authorizes our republic to come to the aid of a people "yearning to breathe free."

So ...... I would love to read what your thoughts are on this matter.

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, this is a tough one. I lived near Khanaquin, a Kurdish town which was south of the Northern no-fly zone between the wars, for almost a year. So I don't know if I could even comment with bias. But its sad, because they have shown that they can manage their own territory. Erbil looks like a modern city.

Iran and Turkey would not like it, though. And they're sitting on a lot of oil that Iraq considers its own. I don't believe these nations would let go without a fight.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church has been actively engaged in sending missionary teams and supporting missionaries who are trying to reach the Kurdish people with the Gospel.

The Kurds are the largest ethnic group without a country. They span a number of countries in the Middle East. They should, imho, have their own country.