1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should These United States Go To War With Iran?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 26, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Mine as well. I agree with BB that we would have to begin a draft to even think about doing so. As far as how this war is being executed, it hasn't gone any differently than any other war in history. To many variables in war to have an exact science. And the nature of war has changed dramatically in recent years.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank you for the reasonable post.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From an earlier link:

"During a secure videoconference that took place early this summer, the President told Ryan Crocker, the U.S. Ambassador to Iraq, that he was thinking of hitting Iranian targets across the border and that the British “were on board.” At that point, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice interjected that there was a need to proceed carefully, because of the ongoing diplomatic track. Bush ended by instructing Crocker to tell Iran to stop interfering in Iraq or it would face American retribution.

At a White House meeting with Cheney this summer, according to a former senior intelligence official, it was agreed that, if limited strikes on Iran were carried out, the Administration could fend off criticism by arguing that they were a defensive action to save soldiers in Iraq. If Democrats objected, the Administration could say, “Bill Clinton did the same thing; he conducted limited strikes in Afghanistan, the Sudan, and in Baghdad to protect American lives.” The former intelligence official added, “There is a desperate effort by Cheney et al. to bring military action to Iran as soon as possible. Meanwhile, the politicians are saying, ‘You can’t do it, because every Republican is going to be defeated, and we’re only one fact from going over the cliff in Iraq.’ But Cheney doesn’t give a rat’s *** about the Republican worries, and neither does the President." ”

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is mainly for Tim, who keeps asking "who in the administration has advocated going to war with Iran?"

Y'all need to pull your heads out of the sand. Do a search for "pentagon," "plans," "attack," and "Iran." One of the several hits you'll get is the following: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/16/wiran116.xml

Understand that this is a verified fact. The Pentagon was tasked to develop some courses of action in the event of hostilities with Iran.

The Pentagon doesn't go around creating plans because they don't have any other work to do. The National Command Authorities(President, SECDEF, etc.) identify a strategic objective, and then place the responsibility on the Joint Chiefs of Staff to come up with a way to achieve that objective (this is a greatly watered-down, condensed version of how this process works).

So stop asking the question about who in the administration wants to go to war with Iran. The "optimistic" answer is that no one wants to; the realistic answer is that the administration is preparing for such an eventuality.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

First I will ask questions. Apparently this one question cannot be answered and thus your frustraton. Having a plan doesnt mean a build up. This practice has gone on most likely in every Presidency. Clinton had a plan for Iraq.

The op was about santions against Iran yet the title of the thread was asking wether we shold go to war with them. I am not the only one who was puzzled by this. You arenot the first to try to get me silenced on this board. apparently you all are takng your ques from media matters. Working to silence those you don't agree with.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was way out of line. In no way am I trying to silence you. I'm trying to get you to change your mind.

#46 Don, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I'm torn about Iran.

On the one hand, I understand that war may be inevitable. On the other, I think what most people don't realize (although part of it came to light last week when President Tom was here) is that, although the government of Iran is rabidly anti-American, the citizenry is actually pro-American and could be a great ally.

I would be much more in favor of equipping and enabling pro-American supporters to stage a coup, rather than go to war with them, ourselves.

These days, everybody wants to compare everything with Vietnam but the truth is, it's really much more like the late 1930's. Just as in the late 30's, the storm is gathering and the American people don't see it coming.

President Tom and Kim Jong Il have already pledged their versions of Hitler's "Non-Agression Treaty". The only thing that's missing is a Tripartite Pact.

One way or another, war is coming and the question really becomes are we going to take it to them and fight it on our terms, or are we going allow them to bring it to us and fight it on theirs.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly, with President Bush in the White House, a third, simultaneous, war may indeed be coming. :tear:

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

What link was this?

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Not at all you told me to stop asking a question.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Asking you to stop asking a question that has been answered, can hardly be considered trying to silence you.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

With statements like this the whole article is disputable.