1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should We as Christians Make Every Effort to not Sin and Act Righteously?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven Yeadon, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider this almost a trick question immediately. Of course, we are to make every effort to not sin! Of course we are to do our very best to act righteously! The bible seems to lay this out in 2 Peter 1:5-11:

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.​

Of course there are the Books of James and the 1 John that can be appealed to on this one, but I like using these verses from 2 Peter 1.

That said, what are your thoughts on this topic?