1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we celebrate Mother's Day in worship?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, May 8, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Awesome. Wish I could say the same about places I've been. Heard too many trite, sentimental messages.

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I don't know about "celebrating" it, but I think mothers as well as fathers should be recognized. I don't think a lot of time should be taken from the service to do that, though.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I pastored a small church I would ask if there was anyone who would like to share about their mother. It was always a great time. Everyone has a mother and it keeps from honoring the oldest mother in church who may or may not be the best example.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Mother's Day generally tends to be a day when there is higher attendance. So, we honored motherhood and then I preached the gospel.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As A Pastor...

... I couldn't think of a better way to FOCUS on Christ than through building a message around the virtues of a Godly woman and mother.

I can do this because I believe Jesus would do the same. It is my opinion that Jesus thought "highly" of the women who followed Him and ministered unto Him whenever it was needed, and, or, possible!

If it is true that God called the woman to be a helpmate to her husband, and a mother to their children, it would only be right to assume that on this special day, dedicated to Mother's, that the church take the time to lift up the compassion of Jesus, and how that compassion is reflected in the life of an obedient, loving, caring, respectful woman.:godisgood:

Ans there are numerous stories throughout the OT and NT, including the OT Book of Ruth, from which a multitude of messages can be pulled from and delivered in a way that honors God, glories Jesus, and speaks to the God-given purpose of the women in thie world.:jesus:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We do "Moms-to-be" (which is where many announcements have been made), "Mothers", "Grandmothers", "Great Grandmothers" and "Great Great Grandmothers". They all go to the front of the church, receive a gift (a long stemmed flower this year) and then the remaining congregation prays for them. It's the beginning of our announcement time and it took exactly 4 minutes to do the whole thing today.

We then had a sermon on marriage and it was great.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

One thing I wish churches would do is to recognize people who have "mothered" children but may not have actually physically bore children.

8. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mother's Day seems to get more attention in worship services compared to Father's Day. This is odd, as fathers are called to be the spiritual leaders of the family.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree - I wonder how we can do it.

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The church where I'm currently an interim music director does this. The explanation is that "there's just something extra special about Mother's Day."

What a crock. Although my views on male headship are not the majority on this board, I think that's because (most of) our mothers make us feel warm and fuzzy.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We do the same thing for Father's Day as for Mother's Day. Fathers to be, Fathers, Grandfathers, Great Grandfathers and Great Great Grandfathers are all brought to the front, receive a gift and the rest of the congregation prays for them. I have to say that the Father's Day "ceremony" brings tears to my eyes each year seeing how many strong, godly dads we have in our congregation. :)

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You're right.
    Again...this is the whole "fluff-factor." Fathers get virtually no "recognition" compared to moms, especially in the south.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...as it should. They had to carry the child and go through the excruciating birth process. After seeing my wife go through her second delivery without the epidural ever taking, her sheer determination and love for my daughter regardless of pain to her body (her tailbone was fractured during delivery...she couldn't sit comfortably for months after) I have NO problem with receiving less recognition. Any father that does needs to honestly look in the mirror, because that is where the problem is. This has nothing to do with what roles the parents play spiritually in the home.

#33 webdog, May 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible tells us to show honor to who honor is due. We are obeying God in honoring our mothers on Mother's Day. I cannot believe there are 8 people who have a problem with this.

In regards to those who recently lost mothers or who cannot be a mother, our church honors them as well. Every woman over 18 receives a rose from every future "woman" under 18. One can be a spiritual mother as a mentor to other women.

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Yes, but this is corporate worship. Here's my take again. These observances are problematic for a number of reasons, it would seem to me, the greatest of which is they take the focus off of Christ.

It makes worship into a warm fuzzy affair, diluted with sentimentality.

Additionally, it's insensitive to those who have lost their mothers recently, want to be mothers desperately but cannot, have horrible experiences and pain from their maternal relationship, and those who are made to feel like lesser people because motherhood is not part of their calling.

Preaching about it in response to a specific text is one thing, but bringing it up because culture (and Hallmark) thinks we should is different.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why do you feel that recognizing mothers is taking the focus off of Christ? Are your announcements taking their focus off of Christ? How about the greeting time? I don't see the recognition of mothers any different. We also recognize those who have a birthday from 80 years old and up since they have outlived their "warranty". LOL I'm talking about Psalm 90:10. :)

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How? You are doing what the Bible tells you to do (showing honor). How is abiding by Scripture taking the focus off of Christ?!?
    Scripture where worship should not consist of this as well? I'll tell you what...I get emotional and "warm and fuzzy" when focusing on Christ's sacrifice for me!
    I guess it's equally insensitive to talk about the death of God's Son to those who lost a child like my parents did :rolleyes:
    ...and how is yours or anyone's personal opinion on the matter any different?

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't honoring our parents one of the 10 commandments? How is that bad?

19. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's fine to incorporate Mother's Day into the service if the occasion is used to value and teach about godly women. The holiday is a perfect excuse to honor godliness and point out scriptural role models.

I do feel uncomfortable when churches give awards for the oldest mother, youngest mother, etc. It makes the other women feel excluded, especially if they have infertility or have experienced the loss of a child. I think it's better to elevate Christ-like characteristics instead of the "status" of motherhood.

DNA does not a mother make, and our behavior and heart attitudes are more important to God than how many children we physically produce.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is possible that there is such a heavy focus on mothers that the service becomes perverted by it. But it is not necessary to throw the baby out with the bath water. Teaching about godly mothers on mothers day is appropriate and necessary. The same is true of many other issue.,