1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we celebrate Mother's Day in worship?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, May 8, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Christ is the focus of corporate worship. Taking time out to talk about moms is shifting the focus. We can definitely preach on moms or dads in response to a specific text is one thing, but when it's in response to a cultural mandate and includes generally sentimental activities, it's becomes a distraction.

That's fine on a personal basis, but attempts to create this can be problematic. Sentimentality can become idolatry if taken too far.

That is completely different. We're not talking about a Christian parallel, but honoring earthly mothers when others are grieving over their inability. Not caring about this is purely insensitive. Doesn't mean absolutely no, but it should be a consideration.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

For what it's worth, I don't have kids. But there is a problem when mothers are more revered than fathers. Our whole society does that. It should be different in the Church.

But I still don't think that's appropriate during a corporate worship service.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No because its a tradition of man and extra biblical.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We worship God in our worship.

We gave lovely devotional books to each woman (NOT just mothers) and we did mention in our exposition of Matthew how incongruous it was to preach on Fasting (Mt 6:16-18, message 39) on the day when more people go out to eat than any other day!! :eek:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...as are announcement, pulpits, microphones, offering plate, pews/chairs, class rooms, nurseries, etc., etc. Those have no place as well?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To each their own, but I have no problem with modern day chivalry and putting my wife above myself. Men and women are different creatures and women are more sentimental and emotional...which is why the emphasis appears to be placed on the mothers.

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the ten comandments said to honor our Fathers and Mothers. Keeping God's law is important isn't it?.
    MB

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see following one of the Ten Commandments as taking away the focus of worship. You keep speaking of "corporate worship", where are the biblical guidelines for such worship found? The entire act of gathering together, fellowshipping with one another, singing, teaching children and adults is "corporate worship"...not just the sermon that is preached.
    "Too far" is quite subjective apparently.
    Didn't you just say "sentimentality can be idolatry if taken too far"? You think it is ok to not honor the vast majority of mothers at the risk of potentially offending a very small (maybe non existent) number? I think it's grossly insensitive to not acknowledge mothers on Mother's Day, and I'm sure the majority of believers and parents agree. Anyways, to you it's either about taking away from Christ or it isn't...shouldn't have anything to do with how anyone feels, right?

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Yes, but that's not the focus of corporate worship. Those are the things that are the outpouring of faith in all of our lives. But if we're focusing on mothers from a sentimental perspective because our culture and Hallmark say to do it, we're not worshiping Christ.

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I'm not saying not to acknowledge them. I called my mom and sent her flowers yesterday. But I don't think it should be done in a corporate worship service.

Check out the cultic observances of Israel from the OT if you want to read about it, but this is a theological issue, which must be examined under the whole trajectory of Scripture, not just some proof texts.

Sentimentality and sensitivity are two very different things. There's no comparison there.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm done with this thread. Comparing the acknowledgement of mothers on Mother's Day to the cultic practices of Israel is beyond legalism :wavey:

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

What??? You just asked me about Scripture references regarding corporate worship. That's a big part of where we get our theology.

I'm not sure why you consider that legalism. Not saying we have to kill animals and stuff, but there are parallels about the theological implications of worship.

Hmmm...

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey webdog...he said "Hmmm" so now you need to drop out of the debate because he just won.:rolleyes:

Maybe next time you can say "Hmmm" and win a debate. :thumbs:

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

What in the world are you talking about? His post was puzzling.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So?

Its still extra biblical and I will not venerate mothers on any day that is reserved for God because that smacks of idolatry. There is nothing in the bible about mothers day. As far as class rooms those are mentioned in the bible synagogues, chairs - seat of moses, nurseries aren't in the bible because children were brought into worship with the adults in fact one teenager got bored with Paul's sermon and died falling out the window. Microphones were not in existance but Paul used an ampatheater when in athens. So you are off. No worshiping mothers. Bad idea. In fact, women were kept seperate from the men in the bible we should do that as well.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

now your just being sillly

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very likely but I do find it humorous.

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

A well-known author who was also my pastor at one point says that when Christ is not the center of worship, worship ceases to be "Christian."

I think that's a valid point here. To preach a text about parents is one thing. To talk about their importance is one thing. To make them the focus of the service is another. It's removing the focus from its proper place and placing on humanity - and all because culture and commerce says we should.

It's the same with Father's Day and my all-time least favorite celebration, Independence Day.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So who is it that makes them the focus of the service?

20. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Hmmm...that means I won, just kidding guys...ok (Taking a deep breath) here goes nothing...

May I suggest that the problem in this discussion is the definition of the word "honor" If honor means worship then we definitely CANNOt honor mothers...but the bible does command us to honor our faterh and mother...I'm sure we can all agree that that is not an encouragement to worship them.

I think that we also need to be honest and admit that there are actually a great many things that happen on any given Sunday morning that are not primarily focused on Christ. The announcements for instance. My pastor argues that because they concern the Lords work they too are a spiritual exercise and part of worship...I'm not particularly convinced especially when we start wishing people happy birthday from the pulpit. He feels the same way about board meetings and AGM's.

I'd like to suggest that our coming together on a Sunday morning is for worship primarily but also for practical purposes. I think it is possible to worship God on a sunday while focusing focusing on the role of women and mothers, teaching about it and thanking and praising God for our mothers. Is that plausible?

It may be possible to use mother's day as a theme while ultimately still focusing on God's glory and teaching His word clearly. I don't know. What do you guys think? I'm not sure I'm even making sense!:laugh: