1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we celebrate Mother's Day in worship?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, May 8, 2010.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a reading comprehension issue. Nothing there is equivalent to what you say it is. As far as taking things to seriously well...you should re-evaluate your posts.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which ones? There are certain post I'm serious about like the Arizona law and the trend of loosing liberty in our country. Other things I joke about. Somethings I could care less about but take the other side just because. Somethings I care very much about. Just depends.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if we replace the words "Mother's Day" with the words "movie" or "gospel sing?" Or what about a biggie like "Christmas play" or "Easter Cantata?"

I guess it all boils down to a personal preference that "church time" must only be for singing, preaching, or teaching. There are other ways to honor Christ and worship besides singing hymns and Bible reading and every church has its own way to worship. Just because it's different doesn't make it wrong.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need to be careful with such statements. Worship is not to be determined by us but by God only. Cain discovered that and it was made clear in

Heb 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with Reverence and godly fear:

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we can't worship God by having an Easter cantata? By handing out flowers to the moms on Mother's Day during the service? "Church" always has to be 3 hymns, an offering, and a sermon?

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about Song of Solomon and Genesis?

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One book is an anthropomorphic view of man's relationship with God and the Other is a book on how things began and gives a reason for a need of salvation history. What does that have to do with the conversation?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say that. But we need to make sure that we do not see worship as being based on personal preference as if how to worship is up to us.

#108 Revmitchell, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I see what you're saying.

10. BillySunday1935

BillySunday1935 New Member

Smell the hypocrisy.... Ahhhhhh.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What hypocracy?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I knew I said I was done with this thread, but to the casual observer who may visit this board, this had to be addressed:
    News Flash: The Sabbath is not Sunday! If Thinkingstuff is going to actually think this stuff through, unless his church service is on Saturday he is violating the very thing he is so urgently trying to persuade us to follow. THAT is hypocrisy!

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who said I said it was sunday? Its on Shabbat. And I'm not persuading you to follow anything. You go with what your conscience allows. Only...its interesting you fight so hard to keep a practice of worshiping the avatars of Gaia. Maybe your conscience is getting to you?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your posts and thinking are a few slices short of a loaf.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thats' only because you don't realize I'm taking the Mick. But that's ok I got a laugh or two.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have no idea what "taking the Mick" is. Now, taking the MIKE, I understand since my husband has been in the audio industry for years but the Mick?? Would that be Mickey Mantle? Mick Jaggar?? I'm not sure.

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Its a phrase often used in the UK. And Having lived there for some time I've taken on some of their phrases as my own. When I get hurt or very angry I struggle trying hard not to say "bloody" which is a curse word. taking the mick is short for "taking the Mickey" which means to tease. Its actually a more polite version than the phrase "taking the &*^%" which word rhymes with bliss. Cockney is a speach pattern used in London where words are rhymed by other words to get at a meaning. So from the cruder form which I mentioned the phrase developed into "Taking the Mickey Bliss" which was shortened to Taking the Mickey and finally Taking the Mick. It just means to tease or make fun of.