1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should We perform Weddings for Divorced people?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Kiffin, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

One is really hard pressed to support from Scripture a divorce and remarriage position. Jesus and Paul were clear about the marriage union. Remarriage in any case except the death of the spouse is adultery. Plenty of Scripture in context will verify. [​IMG]

It is a narrow position. If we want people happy and holy though, they must submit to the Scripture. [​IMG]

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

But PTW, that is the problem. Scripture is not explicitly clear on this. It is not like salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. Paul clearly says that a person is "not bound." Christ clearly uses teh word "except." Now we can discuss what exactly that means but we cannot simply jettison the words from the text.

As for me, I take it on a case by case basis. I have never married a divorced person but under some circumstances I would be willing to.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Pastor Larry, I have enjoyed reading your posts and especially enjoy the boldness in your statements. I do, however, respectfully disagree. I think Scripture is crystal clear on this issue. I further think that many cases of adultery are ignorantly being "joined" together because of a false view of remarriage.

First, the "except" phrase in the Mt 5 passage speaks of divorce. When Jesus mentioned remarriage, He called it adultery. You find the same construct in Mt 19. I think audience is a major role in interpretation. Jesus is preaching to Jews and the context is Jesus correcting the pharisaical interpretation of the law (you have heard it said...). Mark 10 and Luke 16 do NOT record the exception clause. That is huge. They were writing to gentiles. In fact, in Mark and Luke, the statement is absolute. If you divorce and remarry, you have committed adultery.

The "bound" passage you mentioned is undoubtedly 1 Cor. 7:15. Again, this says nothing of remarriage. Paul doesn't teach on remarriage until the end of the chapter (38-40?). In verses 10 and 11, Paul says that if separation must happen, one is left with two options: first, be reconciled; second, remain single. The "bound" in verse 15 is a word that communicates slavery. This is not marriage. When an unbeliever leaves, the believer is not enslaved to try and keep them from leaving. He/she is to let them go and live in peace. Paul uses a different greek word at the end of the chapter to communicate marriage.

If one examines Paul's point in Romans 7:2-3, 1 Cor. 7:38-40, Luke 16:18, Mark 10, Matt 5, and Matt 19, giving equal weight to each passage, the result will be that remarriage except in the case of death is adultery.

Rev. 1:18
    Rogers, Vines, MacArthur, Piper